(Truly) A Time-Sensitive Matter- need advice/insight STAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyt66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I am in a time crunch right now, and need advice of my wiser, more-experiences seniors.

The simplified scenario:

I got an acceptance today from one of the programs I applied to transfer to for a PGY-II Psych vacancy for this upcoming academic year. I am currently in my PGY-I year in a psych program, but as I began a month late, my contract for first year isn't ending at the end June 2017. However, the new program has my contract start date stated as July 1st, and I have to return it by this upcoming Monday.

I am planning to talk to my PD about the scenario tomorrow. But one major question I had in the meantime, is it possible to transfer programs with only 10 or 11 months of credit (if I were to start on the desired July 1st start date by the new program)??? Or is it entirely dependent on the choice of BOTH PDs??

Thank you as always to all that reply and provide their thoughtful and insightful advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can transfer with less than a complete academic year. You will not receive credit for that. A pgy 4 rejoined our program after choosing to relinquish child fellowship after a few months and had to complete 12 months here (although we have 9 months of elective time in pgy 4)

Members don't see this ad :)
The ABPN does not accept partial years.
Try to get a new contract from the new program with the correct date for your off-cycle start.

If one is an 11 months old PGY1 (lol) I can see why that year wouldn't be certified as complete and the resident allowed to start elsewhere as a PGY2.

However, would it still be possible for the new program to give them that credit and just make up the month(s) needed as a PGY1 to shortly transition to PGY2, just a bit later? The resident wouldn't necessarily have to redo the whole year because partials aren't accepted by ABPN?

Reactions: 1 user
If one is an 11 months old PGY1 (lol) I can see why that year wouldn't be certified as complete and the resident allowed to start elsewhere as a PGY2.

However, would it still be possible for the new program to give them that credit and just make up the month(s) needed as a PGY1 to shortly transition to PGY2, just a bit later? The resident wouldn't necessarily have to redo the whole year because partials aren't accepted by ABPN?
They still have to finish that 12th month under the old program. I'm not suggesting they have to redo the year, but they will need to stay through the end of July and start their PGY2 contract in the new program in August.

Reactions: 1 user