1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

try for the MD/PhD or stick with MD?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by Alexafluor, May 27, 2008.

1. Alexafluor

Pre-Medical
    Hi, this is my first posting so sorry if I leave out anything important! Anyway, I have been working at a private research lab for the past year and before that did a summer research program at UPenn before my senior year. I really wanna do MD/PhD but I'm afraid I'd be a more mediocre MSTP applicant. Here's what I've got:

Psych major at Fordham Univ (NYC)
    GPA: 3.85
    Sci GPA not sure around 3.8 though
    MCAT: 35O (11PS 12 VR 12 BS)
    ~240 hrs volunteer in Peds ED/Main ED NY hospital
    2 yrs rape/domes viol crisis counselor
    1 summer of research on genetics pf psychiatric disease at UPenn
    1 yr post-grad full-time research on multiple sclerosis
    -2 abstracts presented at conferences, no pubs
    Phi Beta Kappa
    NYC homeless outreach activties, 4 yrs in college

Ideally I'd like to stay in the NY area, I'm applying to Columbia, Cornell Tri-I, Sinai, NYU, AE, SUNY Downstate, and schools in Boston, Philly and around NY. Would I be much more competative as a MD applicant than as an MSTP applicant? I could always apply internally to the school's MSTP.

Thanks so much for input!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gbwillner

gbwillner Pastafarian
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Looks pretty good to me. I'm not sure what the concern is. Just apply.

4. GWD

GWD
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    What she said.

Another thing I think people often forget on this board though, is how to network.

Since most of those schools are pretty close to you, decide which you REALLY would want to go to, and then start going to their Grand Rounds and Seminars and stuff and start getting to know their faculty and staff and let them know about your interest.

You'd be surprised at how quickly people will accept you into their "circle" once they have gotten used to seeing your face.

5. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I also have no idea why you'd be concerned.

6. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Ditto.

OP, your app looks pretty competitive for both MD and MD/PhD programs, so apply to whichever you prefer. Also, some schools may offer you the option of being considered for MD-only if you don't get admitted to the combined program, so you can apply to both the MD and MD/PhD programs at those schools. Other people on this forum would be better than me at advising you about doing this. Best of luck to you. :)

7. Rowany

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    If you're worried about your research experience, one year of full-time research is worth at least 2 of undergrad part-time experience. Although, you might expect a question in interviews on why you didn't start research earlier, but your extensive extracurriculars is a pretty good reason.