trying not to give up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alyla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the scoop:
I'm an NYU grad, majored in anthropology. Took a 5th year to write an undergrad thesis. Graduated 2007.

BCPM GPA: 3.10
AO GPA:3.86
Total GPA: 3.61

MCAT 9/10/11/R

I took a year off to work as a medical assistant, do additional volunteer work, etc.

I applied to 36 schools this cycle (amcas complete in September, most secondaries done October, a few November). My plan was to travel this year when the application saga was complete....ya, right. Not only did I not travel, I haven't been offered even one interview :(

I'm still in the running at Drexel, Jefferson, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Temple, UCONN, UIC at Chicago. I've been rejected pre-interview everywhere else, including my state schools.:cry:

so...now what? re-apply immediately? take a few classes? SMP (though admittedly I REALLY don't want to do this)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I'm trying not to lose hope, while trying to be realistic. :help:

Members don't see this ad.

You may have just applied too late. Also, if you haven't been offered an interview at this point, it isn't happening so make plans for the next year ASAP. Some places take forever to send out rejection letters (Drexel sent mine out last July!!).

The good news is I was in a similar boat (didn't get a single interview last year) and got in this year to U of Wisconsin, although my scores were a bit higher.

15P/14B/11(damn dyslexia)V and an R on the writing so 40R.
total GPA 3.6 BCMP 3.8-ish

The truth is I just got everything in too late (I also was turning secondaries in October-November). I also wrote a god-awful personal statement last year and got some help writing a much better one this year.

Do you think you could do any better on the MCAT's? Your lower scores were the science sections and those are the easier ones to increase. In particular the physical sciences sections is as much of a test of how good you are at calculus/math (it's a lot easier to memorize 3-4 physics equations and derive the rest) as it is actual science. Or alternatively do you have the time/resources(money) to try to bring up your BCMP (although that might mean you have to wait two years unless you enroll in summer stuff)?

Although definitely have everything (secondaries etc.) in by no later than September (August would be even better).

Your science GPA is too low and is going to hurt you, OP.
You need to show you can get A's in upper level science courses.
The MCAT is OK but not high enough to compensate for the low GPA.
Start working on raising the science GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree. I had a similar BCPM undergrad GPA. I took a year to take more undergrad courses and got a 4.0 and then had to do a post-bacc SMP program. The 31 doesn't help OR hurt with that GPA. You would probably need something significantly higher and have a reason for a lower BCPM GPA.

what the word on SMP versus just taking upper level science classes? any advantages/disadvantages?

I am currently filling out apps for SMPs (sigh) to keep my options open.

thanks for the advice guys...i really appreciate it...i feel like, unless you are part of this process, no one can understand what its like, or offer any advice/support

Yes and no, as much as they look at the MCAT score they look at everything else more. Granted you don't really want under a 25 but be careful about putting too much emphasis on that. Show them you are a real person and that you are interested in medicine. Believe it or not, they are real people too and get sick of reading the same old crap on everyones applications everyday

Increase your science GPA and apply to SLU. They like 30's and high GPA's. Apply early.

Yes you applied late and I believe (YMMV) that a Sub -3.5 GPA is worse than a Sub-30 MCAT. I think taking a year to increase your GPA would be a good start. If you are looking to go right away, DO schools might give you more of a look. And depending on your interests it might be a good place to look.