Trying to decide if I am hispanic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree as well, but I think its great that the OP was plucky enough to ask the question and really consider this apparently controversial issue. In all honesty there are probably tons of pre-meds and college kids using their hispanic background or 6% Native American heritage as an advantage without actually being apart of that culture or larger "community"....most will not admit it though. My only concern in this case is that it doesn't seem quite fair to "decide" when to be hispanic. Most people who are/consider themselves a minority or a part of a disadvantaged culture can't really decide. I mean, surnames, skin color, geographical location, caste...all of this stereotypical stuff unfortunately doesn't turn off, so why should a person get to turn on/off what other people can't turn off? I can be indian and choose to check white on an app, but in the interview they will see 1) my name and 2) my look and say I'm indian anyway so its infair for some peopel to be able to choose and others not( ahhh but life isn't fair...iknow iknow)...again its not something you can turn off...Idk if that makes sense...I'm in physics class not paying attn..darn SDN addiction! LOL

P.S....tisk tisk OP for saying that for the "big/major" stuff you check white...

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! That's why I said you should apply as bi-racial because I too believe that it is NOT right to choose a minority status in order to get so kind of leg up (especially when there are ALOT of people who CAN NOT make such a choice), it's bad enough that affirmative action is soooo controversial but you are practically adding fuel to the fire by picking and choosing when you decide to apply as a minority. I'm still don't know how I feel about the whole "Speaking Spanish in order to be Latino" because I am a Spanish-speaker and am Nigerian but why now would you claim Mexican heritage for med school when before you applied as white (non-Hispanic)...seems shady but that is MY opinion, what you end up doing is your business but for me, what your doing is only proving some people's argument that programs for URM are pointless if at the end of the day you can apply "white". I'm black with an African name and I don't get the luxury of choosing a side (and I'm a fair skinned African).

...and no this is not to attack you personally, the position that you and many others are in just irks me.

Members don't see this ad.

this thread really disturbed me...i'm kinda in the same position as the OP...except my ancestors are from Spain.

Since HS...I've intentionally chosen to disassociated myself from my so called hispanic heritage... i was raised in America, observed American's holidays and only know american hispanic culture (if that exists)...I even told my ex that if we got divorced, the only thing I wanted was the surname...

therefore...if and when I do apply to medschool...i intend to continue to select the white box for race...because it's on my birth certificate and it's what I identify with...and I NEED all the edge I can get...but I'm not going to resort to claiming a race that I've avoided for most of my life just to gain an edge...

and I agree with Triage's last post...