Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a P3 student about to start longitudinal APPE rotations at Wayne State in the spring. I've been an intern with Kroger for the past 2 years. Here is my dilemma:
My heart has always been set on clinical pharmacy, most specifically, an ICU clinical specialist. My ultimate goal would be to complete PGY-2. I also would like to become adjunct faculty with a college of pharmacy. Here is the catch:
I am well aware that residency spots are becoming increasingly popular, with more demand per position. The problem is that many institutions aren't increasing spots. I'm also aware that a PGY2 residency no longer even guarantees a position. I have a friend completing PGY-2 and there is NOTHING available for her close to her specialty in critical care, and she is at a very prestigious institution. I spoke with a critical care specialist and faculty member who even said "residency is great, but its not a guarantee for a specialist position now with saturation." I'm also aware that many of those who complete residencies who cannot find specialist jobs are taking jobs as staff pharmacists in hospitals. I am also aware that in the future, completion of at least a PGY1 will be a requirement for staff pharmacists.
The problem is that I know I would hate staff pharmacy. I'm at HIPPE and I find it incredibly boring and very lonely. I just hate the work, compounding IVs, unit dose packaging, blah blah blah. I would be devastated if I completed a PGY2 and than was forced to take a job as a staff pharmacist. Even if it was temporary for a few years before something opened up, I'd really dislike what I was doing.
The flipside, I don't mind retail. I intern at Kroger, its been a great job and I've learned a ton. I feel so comfortable that I feel if they called me tomorrow and said I had to be a pharmacist, I could do it without a hitch. The downside? I've floated around and realized that not every pharmacy is the same. Some of the pharmacies are such a trainwreck and so busy that I'd hate myself for doing that and not doing a PGY2. I have it made at my home store, which is low volume with a loyal patient population in a nice area. I realize that if I took a job with Kroger when I was done, I would not likely be placed in the same cushy environment.....
This is further confounded by the fact that in my district alone there is a huge glut of floater pharmacists and old timers who won't give it up (we're talking 70s and even older). Some of the floaters are concerned about getting fired. I went to an internship meeting in the summer and was floored that my state alone (Michigan) had almost 70 interns just for Kroger. My PDM asked me months ago about what I wanted to do when I graduated and mentioned the tuition contract.....I told her I was interested but I have heard nothing but tumbleweeds since. Hours have also been hard to come by for interns (yes, the economy sucks in Michigan 🙁 )
Ideally, I would get lucky and do residency and maybe be available for weekend work at Kroger (can you tell I really enjoy Kroger?) Unfortunately, I get this sinking feeling I'm going to be stuck groveling for a staff position that I know I'd having to go to work every day. Am I being unrealistic? Does any one have any success stories, or failure stories, at getting positions with companies they interned for once upon graduation? Would doing residency and working a weekend here or there with Kroger or any other retailer to help supplement income be an impossible short term goal?
I also consider myself a good candidate: very good GPA, good experience, networking skills, research, etc. so thats not a part of the issue.
One more thing, the hospital I placed at offers paid internship experience. Yes, its staff. I'm thinking I should do it anyways, to boost the resume, gain experience, and increase my revenue.....I'm concerned it would however reflect on me negatively with the powers-at-be at Kroger if I held a second internship at a hospital (or am I thinking too much?)
Thanks so much for your input.
My heart has always been set on clinical pharmacy, most specifically, an ICU clinical specialist. My ultimate goal would be to complete PGY-2. I also would like to become adjunct faculty with a college of pharmacy. Here is the catch:
I am well aware that residency spots are becoming increasingly popular, with more demand per position. The problem is that many institutions aren't increasing spots. I'm also aware that a PGY2 residency no longer even guarantees a position. I have a friend completing PGY-2 and there is NOTHING available for her close to her specialty in critical care, and she is at a very prestigious institution. I spoke with a critical care specialist and faculty member who even said "residency is great, but its not a guarantee for a specialist position now with saturation." I'm also aware that many of those who complete residencies who cannot find specialist jobs are taking jobs as staff pharmacists in hospitals. I am also aware that in the future, completion of at least a PGY1 will be a requirement for staff pharmacists.
The problem is that I know I would hate staff pharmacy. I'm at HIPPE and I find it incredibly boring and very lonely. I just hate the work, compounding IVs, unit dose packaging, blah blah blah. I would be devastated if I completed a PGY2 and than was forced to take a job as a staff pharmacist. Even if it was temporary for a few years before something opened up, I'd really dislike what I was doing.
The flipside, I don't mind retail. I intern at Kroger, its been a great job and I've learned a ton. I feel so comfortable that I feel if they called me tomorrow and said I had to be a pharmacist, I could do it without a hitch. The downside? I've floated around and realized that not every pharmacy is the same. Some of the pharmacies are such a trainwreck and so busy that I'd hate myself for doing that and not doing a PGY2. I have it made at my home store, which is low volume with a loyal patient population in a nice area. I realize that if I took a job with Kroger when I was done, I would not likely be placed in the same cushy environment.....
This is further confounded by the fact that in my district alone there is a huge glut of floater pharmacists and old timers who won't give it up (we're talking 70s and even older). Some of the floaters are concerned about getting fired. I went to an internship meeting in the summer and was floored that my state alone (Michigan) had almost 70 interns just for Kroger. My PDM asked me months ago about what I wanted to do when I graduated and mentioned the tuition contract.....I told her I was interested but I have heard nothing but tumbleweeds since. Hours have also been hard to come by for interns (yes, the economy sucks in Michigan 🙁 )
Ideally, I would get lucky and do residency and maybe be available for weekend work at Kroger (can you tell I really enjoy Kroger?) Unfortunately, I get this sinking feeling I'm going to be stuck groveling for a staff position that I know I'd having to go to work every day. Am I being unrealistic? Does any one have any success stories, or failure stories, at getting positions with companies they interned for once upon graduation? Would doing residency and working a weekend here or there with Kroger or any other retailer to help supplement income be an impossible short term goal?
I also consider myself a good candidate: very good GPA, good experience, networking skills, research, etc. so thats not a part of the issue.
One more thing, the hospital I placed at offers paid internship experience. Yes, its staff. I'm thinking I should do it anyways, to boost the resume, gain experience, and increase my revenue.....I'm concerned it would however reflect on me negatively with the powers-at-be at Kroger if I held a second internship at a hospital (or am I thinking too much?)
Thanks so much for your input.