trying to make a list for application for peds residency..help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddoc20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
rank this programs or give me some info about it.

i am an img with scores 97/98.....ecfmg certification will be done before applying....us research experience of 1 month only...may get one US lor. greencard holder. would love to be in midsize program. no geographic preferences. would like academic programs. would love to do fellowship.

1.University of Connecticut Program
Hartford
2.University of Florida Program
Gainesville,
3.University of Florida Health Science Center/Jacksonville at Wolfson Children's Hospital Program
4.Jackson Memorial Hospital/Jackson Health System Program
5.Miami Children's Hospital Program
Miami, Florida
6.University of South Florida Program
St Petersburg, Florida
7.University of Chicago Program
Chicago, Illinois
8.University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program
Chicago, Illinois
9.Advocate Lutheran General Hospital Program
Park Ridge
10. University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria Program
Peoria, Illinois
11.University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program
Iowa City, Iowa
12.Louisiana State University (Shreveport) Program
Shreveport, Louisiana
13.University of Michigan Program
Ann Arbor, Michigan
14.Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center/Children's Hospital of Michigan Program
Detroit
14.Monmouth Medical Center Program
Long Branch, New Jersey
15.UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (Camden) Program
Camden, New Jersey
16.UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Program
New Brunswick, New Jersey
17.St Barnabas Hospital Program
Bronx, New York
18.Maimonides Medical Center/Infants and Children's Hospital of Brooklyn Program
Brooklyn, New York
19.University at Buffalo Program
Buffalo, New York
20.Nassau University Medical Center Program
East Meadow, New York
21.North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System/Schneider Children's Hospital Program
New Hyde Park, New York
22.Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program
New York, New Yor
23. New York Presbyterian Hospital (Columbia Campus) Program
New York, New York
24.New York Presbyterian Hospital (Cornell Campus) Program
New York, New York
25.New York University School of Medicine Program
New York, New York
26.University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
Dallas, Texas
27.Baylor College of Medicine Program
Houston, Texas
28.University of Texas at Houston Program
Houston, Texas

i know its a long list. but thats why i have posted it here. should i narrow it? should i add some program which i have missed though fits in my criteria.

even comments like hey girl ..."dont think about collumbia or baylor" can help me.

i hope this thread get some replies

Members don't see this ad.

30 ppl looked but none replied. is it possible that none of these 30 had any idea about ay of the above programs. help me out guys. i just want your frank opinion. sdn administrators help

1. UConn - very small. I wasn't that big a fan. Quite a few DO's, so probably less competitive. Didn't meet any IMGs there.

2. Baylor - most competitive of the ones one your list that *I* am familiar with. Huge program (40+/yr). I didn't meet any IMGs there.

3. UT-Houston - excellent program, less competitive than Baylor. I've known a few IMGs in Pedi there, but not tons.

I have no inputs on any other school on your list, as I didn't look in NY or Chicago.

Members don't see this ad :)
98% of the peds spots filled this year; 70% US grads, 28% FMG's; so you have a great shot, especially with the good boards scores.

However, the most competitive academic programs continue to be very competitive, and most do not have any FMG's, and many have very few DO's, if any. Keep that in mind when you apply. That does not necessarily mean that you should not apply to the top programs, but history has proven that it is difficult. So if money is an issue, I would apply to programs where you have a better shot. It may be beneficial to apply to a lot of community programs with academic affiliations.

In Chicago, I believe the only university based programs that have a significant amount of FMG's is Univeristy of Illinois at Chicago. The university programs in downstate Illinois (ie, Peoria and Springfield). Out of those programs, UIC is the only program to have any fellowships, and UIC is limited to NICU and Endocrine.

thanks guys.
hi GeneGoddess....you said u did not like u of connecticut..can i know the reason? well as most big competitive programs are tough for me to get in...is this one university program i should look at positively or its a bad program?

hi scholes...thanks for a good advise. "the most competitive academic programs continue to be very competitive"...i will keep this in my mind. i think few university programs in florida or ny or nj has few imgs.but i guess northwestern or uni of chicago would be almost impossible. i have heard u of illinois at chicago is just average program. so rather then going in such program if one gets admission in msg or u of connecticut..should on take it? :confused:

kiddoc20 said:
thanks guys.
hi GeneGoddess....you said u did not like u of connecticut..can i know the reason? well as most big competitive programs are tough for me to get in...is this one university program i should look at positively or its a bad program?

hi scholes...thanks for a good advise. "the most competitive academic programs continue to be very competitive"...i will keep this in my mind. i think few university programs in florida or ny or nj has few imgs.but i guess northwestern or uni of chicago would be almost impossible. i have heard u of illinois at chicago is just average program. so rather then going in such program if one gets admission in msg or u of connecticut..should on take it? :confused:

"the most competitive academic programs continue to be very competitive"...I apologize for such a stupid comment. What I meant by this is that although pediatrics as a whole is not terribly competitive, the most competitve programs within pediatrics are difficult to get into and require good board scores, extracurriculars, good LOR's, and also a good personality making the interview very important.

yes i understood you scholes. i think you are fit to be one of the new residents for northwestern. best luck

kiddoc20 said:
thanks guys.

The program itself is fine. It just didn't fit ME. I wanted a larger, slightly more academic place in a larger town.