Trying to prepare to reapply next cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwer123456

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bear with me, I realized after writing this it's pretty long...

What should I be doing right now? I'm coming to terms with the fact that I should be prepared to reapply next cycle. I haven't given up all hope, because I haven't heard from the majority of schools I applied to, and I put on "post-interview hold" at three of the schools I interviewed at, but I don't have any acceptances and it's almost February. I just don't want to be stuck in the position of having to reapply with no real changes to my application.

It's unfortunate, because I had my life pretty planned out for the next six months. I've worked really really hard to save up a decent chunk of money working in a restaurant, and I knew exactly how I was going to spend it before I started medical school. I was hoping to do the haute route (a really cool ski mountaineering trip through France, Switzerland and Italy) in the late spring and then travel, spending some time with friends working for an amazing nonprofit in SE Asia. I also got the opportunity to raft the grand canyon this summer for two weeks... For me, any of these would be the trip of a lifetime, and I could have done all three! I really don't want to give up these amazing opportunities, but if I'm going to apply again next cycle I need to change something.

I'm trying to address weaknesses in my application. I've been out of school for two years, and my science GPA was only a 3.33. I was a Spanish major, and I have no research experience. I got a 34 on the MCAT the second time around (but a 23 the first time) so I don't think I need to retake that... (PLEASE tell me I don't!)

I'm thinking I need to take some more science classes, get a job in the health care field, and/or do some research. I applied for a job as a phlebotomist thinking I wouldn't get it, but I did!. This seems like a great opportunity, especially because they will train me WHILE paying me. However, if I take science classes, the only ones offered in my area are during the day, so I would have to choose between the job and the classes. Either way, I'd have to give up my trips. If I took classes I could keep working at the restaurant, which would be nice because I make good money and my schedule allows me to volunteer, and I LOVE the volunteering I do right now (hospice, ER, working with the special olympics)... but this job seems like a good opportunity and I'm not sure working at a restaurant is helping my application (although I did get a letter of recommendation from the owner, which some interviewers have mentioned).
And then there's the issue of research. Like I said, I've been out of school for two years, and I no longer live where I went to school. I wasn't a science major, so none of the research opportunities at my school seemed that accessible to me. Now I've got no research skills, and no idea how to go about getting involved in research. I never used the premed advisor in undergrad, and since I'm two years out, I don't even think he's available to me anymore.

Wow that was long. Anyway, I'm obviously looking for an overwhelming "don't worry, and don't give up on your dream trips" but I don't think that's realistic. So what should I focus on?

Members don't see this ad.

Bear with me, I realized after writing this it's pretty long...

What should I be doing right now? I'm coming to terms with the fact that I should be prepared to reapply next cycle. I haven't given up all hope, because I haven't heard from the majority of schools I applied to, and I put on "post-interview hold" at three of the schools I interviewed at, but I don't have any acceptances and it's almost February. I just don't want to be stuck in the position of having to reapply with no real changes to my application.

It's unfortunate, because I had my life pretty planned out for the next six months. I've worked really really hard to save up a decent chunk of money working in a restaurant, and I knew exactly how I was going to spend it before I started medical school. I was hoping to do the haute route (a really cool ski mountaineering trip through France, Switzerland and Italy) in the late spring and then travel, spending some time with friends working for an amazing nonprofit in SE Asia. I also got the opportunity to raft the grand canyon this summer for two weeks... For me, any of these would be the trip of a lifetime, and I could have done all three! I really don't want to give up these amazing opportunities, but if I'm going to apply again next cycle I need to change something.

I'm trying to address weaknesses in my application. I've been out of school for two years, and my science GPA was only a 3.33. I was a Spanish major, and I have no research experience. I got a 34 on the MCAT the second time around (but a 23 the first time) so I don't think I need to retake that... (PLEASE tell me I don't!)

I'm thinking I need to take some more science classes, get a job in the health care field, and/or do some research. I applied for a job as a phlebotomist thinking I wouldn't get it, but I did!. This seems like a great opportunity, especially because they will train me WHILE paying me. However, if I take science classes, the only ones offered in my area are during the day, so I would have to choose between the job and the classes. Either way, I'd have to give up my trips. If I took classes I could keep working at the restaurant, which would be nice because I make good money and my schedule allows me to volunteer, and I LOVE the volunteering I do right now (hospice, ER, working with the special olympics)... but this job seems like a good opportunity and I'm not sure working at a restaurant is helping my application (although I did get a letter of recommendation from the owner, which some interviewers have mentioned).
And then there's the issue of research. Like I said, I've been out of school for two years, and I no longer live where I went to school. I wasn't a science major, so none of the research opportunities at my school seemed that accessible to me. Now I've got no research skills, and no idea how to go about getting involved in research. I never used the premed advisor in undergrad, and since I'm two years out, I don't even think he's available to me anymore.

Wow that was long. Anyway, I'm obviously looking for an overwhelming "don't worry, and don't give up on your dream trips" but I don't think that's realistic. So what should I focus on?

I think the first thing I'd like to know that would help me get a more full picture is this: What schools did you apply to? Also, what was your cumulative GPA? What was the breakdown of your MCAT? Did you have any other extracurriculars on your application?

And just so all of the information is in one place in case Catalystic (not a madam, but a ma'am) comes along:

3.3 sGPA
34 MCAT

Volunteering:

Hospice
Emergency department
Special olympics

(OP, these were three separate volunteering experiences, right?)

I'm not entirely sure which choice I would go with, but I'm leaning towards suggesting that you take the phlebotomy job since you don't seem to have any non-volunteer patient interaction. The other information will hopefully help us see things a little more clearly.

Also, reading again: You received interviews this cycle? That's a good sign. Care to elaborate about the results post-interview?