Trying to submit GRE before deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm last minute planning to apply to UTHSCSA and their deadline is November 1st. But I haven't taken the GRE and I know it states that they just require it for their schools purposes, not decision purposes. I have studied but not enough to take the GRE but would it be worth it to take it this week and get my application submitted before the deadline and somewhat "wing" the GRE? I really wanted to apply to another school and whatever I decide to do,I just don't want to regret not applying.

Thanks for the insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm last minute planning to apply to UTHSCSA and their deadline is November 1st. But I haven't taken the GRE and I know it states that they just require it for their schools purposes, not decision purposes. I have studied but not enough to take the GRE but would it be worth it to take it this week and get my application submitted before the deadline and somewhat "wing" the GRE? I really wanted to apply to another school and whatever I decide to do,I just don't want to regret not applying.

Thanks for the insight!

Hi,
So, even if you took it tomorrow, you wouldn't get your scores back until about 10 days later. That would put you at Nov. 6th at best, to send out your scores. I would call the schools and see if the GRE is needed for your application to be eligible to make the deadline. Are there any schools you like that have later deadlines? If so, I would apply to those as well to be safe.

The first time I took the GRE, I didn't prepare. I "winged it" I didn't do too well (Not horrible, but not great), so I retook it a month later. That time, I prepared for a week. I did a bit better. I know my abilities on standardized tests, so I was content with my second scores :)

Bottom line, call the school TOMORROW. Explain the situation. Have a date lined up for the GRE and say you can have your scores sent on "X" dates. Then, see what they say.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@Dibby92 thanks for that info!

I'm applying at St. Augustine in Austin and possibly NOVA just because the deadline isn't til December also. Although, I would like to apply to schools relatively close to where I live! Greatly appreciate the insight and I will definitely call them back again.

Members don't see this ad :)
@rl91 No problem! I'm in Texas, too! I applied to TWU (denied :( ), UTMB (in review), and UIW (Interview in two weeks). UIW in SA is a fairly new program. But, I went to visit, and their facilities were great! Plus, the faculty is super nice :) A PT I did research with said that program should end up being pretty good! I would LIKE to stay near home, but ya never know what will happen. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
So, even if you took it tomorrow, you wouldn't get your scores back until about 10 days later. That would put you at Nov. 6th at best, to send out your scores. I would call the schools and see if the GRE is needed for your application to be eligible to make the deadline. Are there any schools you like that have later deadlines? If so, I would apply to those as well to be safe.

The first time I took the GRE, I didn't prepare. I "winged it" I didn't do too well (Not horrible, but not great), so I retook it a month later. That time, I prepared for a week. I did a bit better. I know my abilities on standardized tests, so I was content with my second scores :)

Bottom line, call the school TOMORROW. Explain the situation. Have a date lined up for the GRE and say you can have your scores sent on "X" dates. Then, see what they say.

Good luck!

So, I'm considering on "winging it" kind of. I've been trying to prepare for it couple of months but it hasn't been consistent because of school and work taking up my schedule. Now its near December 15th deadlines and I'm so stressed on what to do. I wanna take it to where I'll be able to submit my scores in time for the December 15th deadline, but I honestly don't feel prepared, so now I'm trying to cram in and study for it to do my best, which I pray that I will. I don't know what date I should to register for it to give me time to study and at the same time, have my scores in in time...

Well if you want your scores to be in before the deadline you would need to take it by the end of November...call the school and ask them what the latest eligible GRE date is