Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am looking for some advice from people who work in veterinary medicine or have experience hiring for veterinary clinics.
I am currently trying to transition into a veterinary healthcare environment, specifically roles such as Veterinary Receptionist, Client Service Representative, or possibly Veterinary Assistant if the position is entry-level and provides training.
My background is primarily customer service and health/wellness related:
- I currently work in retail customer service, where I handle customer interactions, payments, POS systems, problem-solving, and working in a fast-paced environment.
- I previously worked at a health and fitness facility in a front desk/customer service role, which gave me experience in a health and wellness setting.
- I am comfortable with computers, learning new systems, organization, and working with the public.
I have been applying to several veterinary clinics in my area for receptionist/client service positions. I have submitted resumes, written tailored cover letters, contacted clinics directly, and followed up when appropriate. However, I have not received any interview offers yet. Not even one email reply of any denial.
I am trying to understand what I may be missing. Is veterinary reception/client service typically a difficult field to break into without previous veterinary clinic experience? Are clinics usually looking for applicants who already have experience with veterinary software, animal handling, or medical terminology?
I am very interested in learning the veterinary side of the job, including:
- veterinary terminology,
- animal handling,
- assisting the veterinary team,
- records,
- client communication,
- and other support tasks.
I have seen some positions that combine reception with veterinary assistant duties, and I think that type of role would actually interest me because I enjoy learning and being involved.
For those who work in veterinary clinics:
- What makes a receptionist applicant stand out?
- Would you recommend emphasizing customer service experience or trying to gain animal experience first?
- Are there specific job titles besides “Veterinary Receptionist” that I should be searching for?
- Is there anything on my resume that would make you hesitate to interview someone with my background?
I appreciate any advice or insight. I am trying to make a serious transition into animal healthcare and would like to understand how to approach it the right way.
Thank you!
I am looking for some advice from people who work in veterinary medicine or have experience hiring for veterinary clinics.
I am currently trying to transition into a veterinary healthcare environment, specifically roles such as Veterinary Receptionist, Client Service Representative, or possibly Veterinary Assistant if the position is entry-level and provides training.
My background is primarily customer service and health/wellness related:
- I currently work in retail customer service, where I handle customer interactions, payments, POS systems, problem-solving, and working in a fast-paced environment.
- I previously worked at a health and fitness facility in a front desk/customer service role, which gave me experience in a health and wellness setting.
- I am comfortable with computers, learning new systems, organization, and working with the public.
I have been applying to several veterinary clinics in my area for receptionist/client service positions. I have submitted resumes, written tailored cover letters, contacted clinics directly, and followed up when appropriate. However, I have not received any interview offers yet. Not even one email reply of any denial.
I am trying to understand what I may be missing. Is veterinary reception/client service typically a difficult field to break into without previous veterinary clinic experience? Are clinics usually looking for applicants who already have experience with veterinary software, animal handling, or medical terminology?
I am very interested in learning the veterinary side of the job, including:
- veterinary terminology,
- animal handling,
- assisting the veterinary team,
- records,
- client communication,
- and other support tasks.
I have seen some positions that combine reception with veterinary assistant duties, and I think that type of role would actually interest me because I enjoy learning and being involved.
For those who work in veterinary clinics:
- What makes a receptionist applicant stand out?
- Would you recommend emphasizing customer service experience or trying to gain animal experience first?
- Are there specific job titles besides “Veterinary Receptionist” that I should be searching for?
- Is there anything on my resume that would make you hesitate to interview someone with my background?
I appreciate any advice or insight. I am trying to make a serious transition into animal healthcare and would like to understand how to approach it the right way.
Thank you!