trying to understand the role of pm&r

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a third year med-student. I am having a little difficulty deciding what specialty I would like to go into: physiatry or psychiatry. I was in physical therapy before med. school...and I have done psych. rotations that I really enjoyed. I can see myself in either field..therein lies my problem. Although I have a pretty clear idea with regards to the different choices in psychiatry, I don't know very much about physiatry. My only encounter with a physiatrist was when I worked in physical therapy and when my spouse was seen by two. I have to say that I was encouraged by one and very discourage by the other two. The two physiatrist seemed too eager to just do injections...I believe that is where the money is. My questions are:
(1) what is the difference between general physiatry, pain man. physiatry and ortho. physiatry? Is there one that would allow me to have more interest in the patient's care without feeling obsessed with injections...cause that is where the money lies?
(2) My schedule is set for the next year till I graduate...so I won't be able to do a pm&r rotation...would that look bad if I decide to apply for a pm&r residency? or will having a background in physical therapy be a little help?
sorry for the length of this message...and forgive me if I sound informed or misinformed. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to PM&R w/o having done a rotation in it will very likely be your application's kiss of death at any excellent-decent program.

Why is your schedule 100% set in stone until you graduate? Unless it's something extremely unique to your PhD requirements, why can't you just switch one of your other electives to one in PM&R?

I would highly rec. that you try to get an elective at a solid PM&R program that will allow you to set up a rotation where you can spend some time on different inpatient and outpatient services. This will likely give you more insight into the field then any posts on here ever could.

General PM&R = inpt >= out pt, doing SCI, CVA, TBI, etc, as well as a lot of deconditioned pts. Outpt aspects are f/u on the same +/- some outpt MSK +/- EMGs.

Pain Management physiatry concentrates on chronic pain, using meds, exercise and injections to make people functionally better, if not improving their pain.

Ortho physiatry is mainly outpt MSK, you could do some inpt. Should be a fair maount of EMG's.

I do a mix of pain management and ortho.

Not doing a PM&R rotation is definately a minus for applying. I would try and move thnigs around or trade a rotation to do one, even going outside of your program, if neccesary. Having been in PT won't help you any.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ortho physiatry is mainly outpt MSK, you could do some inpt. Should be a fair maount of EMG's.

I do a mix of pain management and ortho.

Ortho Physiatry

I like that.

Why don't we start using that term instead of MSK or Spine?

If the application cycle this year is anything like what it was last year, there won't be many empty spots and the programs won't be desperate for applicants.

That said, from past years where PM&R had trouble filling and they took random people to fill spots, I've met a number of residents who quit and they were all folks who hadn't done rotations in PM&R and didn't really know what the field was about.

I will look into doing an elective in pm&r...since I am currently doing my rotations in Ca. as a Ross student, choices are limited. And because money is also an issue, I wanted to stay put in one place for as long as I can. But thanks for all your replies.