TS QR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The Godfather

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I am lost in the whole probabilities thing. There is a question in the 1st test of TS that reads "What is the probability of six tails out of nine tosses of a fair coin." The answer is 21/128. How do you get that? I know each time you toss the coin there is a 1 in 2 chance of getting either heads or tails, but how do you get to 21/128? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. Thanks!
 
it's been too long since i've done probability so i don't know all the definitions and stuff but i can definitely point you in the right direction. basically, to get 6 tails out of 9 tosses means that 6 have to be tails and 3 HAVe to be heads so 1/2 x 9 = 1/512. now you just have to find the combinations of having 6 tails and 3 heads...and i think basically you'll get 9!/(3!)(6!). that should get you 21/128. as to how i knew to do that i'm not sure...and i'm hoping someone can better explain this...but i hope you know what i mean by having to get 6 tails and 3 heads...u can't just get 6 tails alone...
 
This is how I do it:

Total occurences: 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 2^9

Total desired occurences: combination of 6,9: 9!/(3!*6!)=7*8*9/(2*3)=7*4*3

Prob = desired/total = 7*4*3/2^9 = 7*3/2^7 = 21/128
 
Thanks a bunch to both of you! That makes complete sense. That's one less thing on my "shaky" list. Looks like I need to dust off that part of my brain for The Test. Six days and counting.