Step I TSH vs t4/t3

Started by nurmd01
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nurmd01

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The first line throid function test to assess throid status is TSH. Second line is T4. Why is this?? I mean the way I understand it is that if something is functioning we look at its product (t4/t3) not what stimulates it (tsh).
 
The first line throid function test to assess throid status is TSH. Second line is T4. Why is this?? I mean the way I understand it is that if something is functioning we look at its product (t4/t3) not what stimulates it (tsh).

TSH is cheaper. T4 can be normal in subclinical hypo/hyper thyroid. Low T4 tells you hypothyroid, but it doesn't tell you if it's central or peripheral.