TTUHSC MD/MPH vs. UNLV - help me decide!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chickenlegs2020

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

So I'm facing a bit of a dillemma - I was accepted to Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) in Lubbock, TX back in February during the Texas Match Day. I had even futher applied to the dual degree program to get an MPH alongside my MD, and I also signed a lease there.... Anyway today I got a call from UNLV saying they were offering me a seat for the MD program. Honestly, I wasn't expecting this given UNLV's small class size, so I didn't even do a lot of comparison lol. Tution-wise, TTUHSC is lower but factoring in rent it gets a little higher, but fortunately still manageable for my parents. UNLV's tuition is slightly higher but I'd fully save on rent because I'd be living with my parents.

There's a few pros and cons for both and I'll try to list them out based on my research:

Texas Tech pros: I get to do a dual degree program, established school with good match rates, comfortable in TX where I went to high school and med school, TX has good medical school infrastructure

Texas Tech cons: Undesirable location (for me), large class size, more community residency matches

UNLV pros: small class size, desirable location, near support system, more academic residency matches and also specializations

UNLV cons: newer school, rotation sites are sometimes at private practice clinics, can't pursue a dual degree becasue it would add another year to med school and I don't want to do that

Currently, I am interested in pursing oncology, probably at an academic hospital. I was looking at the school's rankings and the difference is kind of negligible. I was just wondering if someone could weigh in on this and provide any insight that might be helpful. I have until Monday to make my decision. Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also if you're a UNLV medical student, I would greatly appreciate if you could share your experience in the comments or via DM. Thank you!
 
Congratulations!

It sounds like it boils down to how serious you are about the MPH at TT vs. how prepared you want to be with pursuing oncology at UNLV.

You've already put in the effort to go for MPH at Texas Tech, so how important is it to your purpose? It sounds like pursuing an MPH at UNLV is not automatically guaranteed and would add time (and grad debt). How do you like the MPH students and faculty at TT?

How did your UNLV interview go? How responsive were they in follow-ups once you were placed on the alternate list? How much have they tried to include you with accepted student programming?
 
Congratulations!

It sounds like it boils down to how serious you are about the MPH at TT vs. how prepared you want to be with pursuing oncology at UNLV.

You've already put in the effort to go for MPH at Texas Tech, so how important is it to your purpose? It sounds like pursuing an MPH at UNLV is not automatically guaranteed and would add time (and grad debt). How do you like the MPH students and faculty at TT?

How did your UNLV interview go? How responsive were they in follow-ups once you were placed on the alternate list? How much have they tried to include you with accepted student programming?
Thank you very much! Yes, ultimately, I am okay with foregoing the dual-degree program if I decide to attend UNLV because I do not want to add another year, since I have already taken two gap years after undergrad. My UNLV interview went pretty well, from what I recall, and they have been incredibly responsive to my queries about connecting with current students. They even went ahead and sent me recordings from their second-look which was greatly appreciated.