1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

TU - Nevada

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ez073323, Apr 19, 2004.

1. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

Hey Everyone...

The powers that be have granted me admission to the new TUCOM campus in Henderson, Nevada... I am pretty excited for this August... I have met a bunch of my future classmates, professors, and administrators and so far, everything is slated for a (hopefully smooth) running start...

My goal over the next few months is to get out to Henderson to get new updates on the progress of the build out and research living options and posting my findings shortly... So who else out there will be in Henderson this August??!! Let yourself be known!!!

Brian Enriquez
    [email protected]

and now for a picture of the new sign...

[​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TomC727

TomC727 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congrads man. I knew you wanted to get a position there real bad. I will be at CCOM next year but I will let you know if I will be in vegas this summer for vacation. If you are confused on who this is, check my AOL screen name.

4. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering if anyone accepted to TUCOM-Vegas (I like it better than TUCOM-Nevada) could post where they are going to do their rotation. This is was a huge factor in where I decided I wanted to go and I was wondering what they were like to those accepted.

5. mak98usa

mak98usa Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

heywhats up brian

Im scheduled for an interview in like 10 days....can you PLEASE give me some pointers!!!!!!!

What kind of questions do they ask and how did you answer them

6. box29

box29 Keep on keepin' on Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    mak98usa,

I interviewed not too long ago, last week actually. The panel format was not at all as intimidating as I thought it was going to be based on the interview feedback comments. Questions were all straight forward from my application and nothing was tricky at all. The interview was really fun and interesting. As everyone says, be yourself and relax. I got one question from each interviewer although one asked me 2 more questions after the first one. Pay attention to what the others are saying in your group and be attentive. It was really low stress! Take it easy and don't worry! You'll do great! :luck:

7. amboree

amboree Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Everyone,
    I am more than interested in TUCOM- Nevada can anyone provide me with more information? I went to the web site and I couldn't find the average gpa/mcat for the Nevada Branch. Thanks! :)

8. jrbrown2bsu

jrbrown2bsu Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey everyone,

I will be attending TUCOM-Vegas this August also. I had the opportunity to visit the school a couple of weeks ago. It is a very nice building and the school should be very contemporary (wireless internet, new facilities, etc.). The staff present there were very nice and willing to talk about the school. And the surrounding area of Henderson is awesome. Everything looks very promising. I'm looking forward to the move and starting school.

JB

9. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

so many questions, so little time.... here we go...

TomC727,

thanks for the kind words... congrats right back at ya'... Enjoy CCOM and hit me up if you are ever in Vegas...

Robz,

I was just at the Mare Island campus today but I completely forgot to ask Dr. McNerney what hospitals we all should be rotating through... I plan on rolling back out to the Vegas campus soon and hopefully I can get a chance to speak with Dean Forman on the subject; I know the last time I got to speak with him, he had just returned from a meeting where he had established another hospital affiliation...

mak98usa,

Click here for a synopsis of my interview day. I don't think I am the best resource with respect to how to nail the interview day (I don't think I did to well on mine)... if you read through the interview feedbacks you will get a sense of the questions that are asked during the interview panel... your interviewers will have had your applicant file for some time so expect a few questions that give you the chance to flesh out the details of your application...

amboree,

There isn't an average MCAT or GPA for the Nevada campus since this August's class will be its charter... As an aside, I really think TUCOM goes out of its way to interview a variety of candidates, ranging from the high MCAT/high GPA superstars to the applicants that my not have the strongest numbers, but have demonstrated a specific level of selflessness... am I not saying to shrug off the importance of your GPA or MCAT, but I don't think it is a good indicator of whether or not TUCOM is a good fit for you...

jrbrown2bsu,

I am glad you are looking forward to August... All the interviewees that I have met have been psyched about hitting the ground running come August and it soundls like you fit that same profile... Henderson should be nothing but good times (and hard work, of course!)...

Keep the questions coming and stay tuned for new developments (i.e. a new yahoo group or discussion board for TUCOM - Nevada)

Brian
    [email protected]

and now for a couple more TUCOM - Nevada pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    multitaking at its best.....I look forward to seeing what hospitals you will be rotating at. Thanks for the pics.

11. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

In my infinite boredom, I have made a new discussion board aimed for use by my compatriots attending TUCOM - Nevada...

It can be found by either clicking here or on third link in my signature...

so far I am the only registered user of the message board... it sure is lonely reading my own posts, so hopefully those of you out there in cyberspace that will be in Henderson with me in the fall would be so kind as to register and join me in some pre-orientation socializing...

that's it for now...

Brian
    [email protected]

[​IMG]

12. NSA914

NSA914 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Brian, I tried to join the discussion group, but it won't let me! I'm pretty computer illiterate, so HELP!!

As to other members of our class, I am psyched. Vegas for med school?!? No one believes me...lol. Can't wait to meet all of you. And to those interviewing...good luck. Just relax and know your application!

13. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

In order to post on the message board, you have to become a registered user (just like SDN!)... You can register by clicking here.

once you have a screen name, you can post your heart away!

Computer illiterate, huh??? you better polish up on your computer skills!!! with any luck, our campus is going to be leading edge with respect to information technology...

Talk to you soon!

Brian
    [​IMG]

14. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

Here are some new pictures!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. specialkay

5+ Year Member

Hi you guys,

I interviewed at Touro and just found out I've been waitlisted. I would love to join you in Vegas in August, so keep your fingers crossed!! If anyone has any tips on ways to get off the waitlist, I would really appreciate it. Of course, I'm going to send them my transcripts from this semester, send more letters of rec, etc. But, any other thoughts? I would really love to make it to Vegas.

Thanks!

Special "my milkshake brings all the boys the yard" Kay

16. box29

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey there specialkay...I PMed you...check your PMs... :)

17. sia_simba

sia_simba Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey BRIAN...!!!!!

DO you remember me ??? I interviewed w/ you at TUCOM last year. I was the asian kid from NY... hehehe... I hope you are the right guy. I am glad you are still TUCOM spirit because I know how much you love that school man. Congrats... I have family in Vegas and I'll be visiting vegas end of july, beginning of august. My 2nd yr starts right on my birthday.. 8-16. sucks right ? Anyhow.. .. it was really nice to see you on again. I know you were talking about SDN.. but I finally get to meet you on it. hehehe.. small world huh ?

18. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

Eav!!!

Of course I remember you!! As a matter of fact, i was just chatting with Dar and she made the comment that you are basically the only one she remembers from the interview day because you two took the Evans Shuttle to the airport together!
    I will be in Henderson/Las Vegas by the first week of August, so feel free to hit me up when you are there!!

Brian Enriquez
    [email protected]

[​IMG]

19. sia_simba

sia_simba Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey...

Yeah, I tried to keep in touch w/ Dar, but havent been able recently because I've been a bit busy w/ school. How has she been doing ? Yeah, She drove me to the airport that day too, and we were on the train together. Then her flight got delayed and we waited for our planes. Of course my came first so I felt bad that she had to wait for hers all alone. But i kept in touch w/ her once so very often.

How did they decided to open up a TUCOM at henderson ? Is it a school affiliated w/ TUCOM at valiejo ? Or is it a diff school but just similar name ?

20. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

Eav,

Dar is doing well... wokring a little, but mostly relaxing before school starts...

With respect to opening the new campus in Henderson, Nevada has a significant physician shortage... couple that with the continued growth of the Las Vegas area adn the fact there is only one other medical school in Nevada it isn't too difficult to fathom the introduction of a new school... Mare Island is definitely the mother ship, but the Henderson Campus should eclipse the mother ship shortly if I have my say!

Brian
    [email protected]

21. DRGIGGLES

DRGIGGLES Member
    7+ Year Member

howdy

in reply to one of the above poster's queries regarding rotation sites for the lv campus...

from what we have been told, negotiations are under way at st rose hospital in henderson (2 campuses) for rotations as well as possible residencies. i discussed this very recently with one of the tucom bigwigs from new york - negotiations are at an early stage yet. there is a very strong ortho/sports med group out there that is apparently leading the charge on this. tucom (ca) students can rotate out there already though these are not your typical hospital based rotations (ie, no residents/interns to teach you, no morning report, no didactic sessions, etc.). these are the so called office based rotations...lots of clinic time, less hospital time.

then of course, there is valley hospital in vegas proper and its sister hospitals. students rotate at valley currently, though the situation is similar to st rose - with two exceptions. valley does offer didactics and, to put it crudely, you can "do more" there. also, negotiations are well underway regarding fp, im and er residencies. word has it that the fp deal has been signed although we haven't gotten formal notification of that yet. their target start was 2005 which means they would have to have stuff in place in a few months to participate in the match.

other hospitals...you will have the opportunity to round at University Medical Center, the UN hospital in Vegas (the county hospital). this is a well established teaching facility. but, as of now, tucom students are having a difficult time arranging FORMAL rotations there. who knows if and when that will change? still, there have been and are tucom grads in their residencies and students do round there so the school is not an unknown entity.

you will occasionally go to some of the other smaller hospitals around town as well.
    this includes the dreaded healthsouth rotations...we won't get into that now.

the one hospital that you won't be going to is sunrise which happens to be the biggest in nevada. they aren't student friendly right now. maybe that will change some day, but its doubtful for you incoming students.

where does this leave you? my opinions follow... (all of this obviously pertains to the first couple classes at lv.)

if you're lucky, within two years the residencies will start at valley and/or st. rose. (st. rose is at a preliminary stage now; the better bet is valley.) if so, you're in good shape. you will have interns and residents to guide you and most of your core rotations will be probably hospital based. didactics, call schedules, continuity clinics, etc. will all be in place since these are all requirements of residency programs. so, as a student, you will just merge into the team - and do what you're told. pray for this scenario to come through in time for your rotations. it may just happen; word is that tucom-lv is more interested in local rotations than tucom-ca was.

if, on the other hand, you're aren't as lucky, my GUESS is that you will still have most of your rotations in vegas utilizing the current system. that is, mostly office based rotations. see my discussion of hospitals above.

the other scenario i can think of is that you will be shipped all over the place. some in vegas, some in new york, some in socal, some in timbuktu... some for 6 month placements, others for a year. some in places with regular teaching hospitals, others without. new york and bakersfield are likely candidates although these are pure guesses. i wouldn't be at all surprised if a chunk of the first few classes end up doing this while the whole residency thing is sorted out. remember, there will be 75 or so of you the first year, and probably more the next year. add to this, around 30 PA students coming in twice a year. that's a lot of people needing rotations. oh yes, don't forget the tucom-ca folks. their numbers are increasing with around 30 coming in next year with god-only-knows how many after that.

anyway, i hope for your sake that scenario 3 isn't the case because moving after second year is a genuine pain in the ass. on the other hand, having a few cores at teaching hospitals is a definite plus.

i think that covers everything. oh, except for this... brian, i have no doubt that one day tucom-lv will eclipse the "mother ship", at least in lv. i have many reasons to think this but i won't share them today. BUT, if the residency thing works out, remember that your seniors will mostly come from said mother ship. that means that the "eclipse" will have to wait at least until tucom-lv graduates its first class...more likely the first residents. in addition, realize that tucom has a good reputation in lv in largely (in my honest opinion solely) due to the students and residents who have come through the california program. in fact, i have been told by more than one attending that we do as well, if not better than the other med students around here. tucom administration on the other hand, has a less than stellar reputation, a nearly universal complaint from our current attendings. this affects you; realize that the ties between tucom-ca and tucom-lv are deep. basically the same curriculum, some of the same faculty, and both laboring under a central administration all the way in new york.

in any case, i realize your comment was in jest, but still, i would hope your ultimate goal is to add to the reputation made by your predecessors rather than trying to eclipse it. if you want to eclispse something, eclispe the ridiculous central administration sytem.

anyway, that's all for now. i will post more information as time permits. if anyone has questions, they can send me a message and i'll get to it as i can. good luck to all of you in the coming months. play as much as you can, relax as much as you can...in spite of all you've been told, you really have no idea what you're in for.

-drgiggles

22. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

DRGIGGLES,

Thank you so much for the info/update... you always have the inside track and I know I appreciate all the new info...

I just got back from visiting the campus and meeting up with a few of my classmates and everything/everyone seems to be up for an awesome inaugural year, as can seen from the picture below!!

Brian

[​IMG]

23. drwithaprayer

drwithaprayer Junior Member

I was in the last group to interview for the Vegas campus. I would be so happy if I was able to join all of you in Vegas. I should know in a few days they are supposed to meet tomorrow. I am on the waitlist for LECOM and I am not hearing good things about movement. I really hope I get in Vegas. It looks like a really great group of people will be there.

On a side note how do you get the pictures that I see on so many peoples posts. (the one near the name). :D

24. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

drwithaprayer,

I will keep my fingers crossed for you... Ad com meets tomorrow so you will get your decision shortly!!!

Hang in there and stay positive!!!

As far as "how do you get the pictures that I see on so many peoples posts..." that is an avatar and it can be modified by clicking on "User CP" then click on "edit avatar" and then you should be all set!!!

That's it for now...

Brian

25. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will have to say...that I was playing online and saw that IN-n-out burgers have franchises in Las Vegas and the Nevada area. I am sooooooooooooo jealous of that.

Its always a must visit place for me when I hit the west coast. :)

26. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

Robz,

I totally grew up on In-N-Out double doubles and I am oh so very glad there is one about 1/2 a mile from campus... But it is not like there arent things that us West Coasters are jealous of (White Castle!)...

Brian

27. Robz

Robz La Vie Boheme
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Well..I'll tell you this. When I flew into LA last October, my bud girlfriend picked me up at LAX. First words after the "how are you's"...was "In-N-Out?"

I was ........hell yeah!

I don't eat much fast food but that was seriously the first thing I went to in LA. Its nice that there is one right next to the airport! :)

28. flighterdoc

flighterdoc Rocket Scientist
    7+ Year Member

hey, they're no fools.

29. mak98usa

mak98usa Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Het whats up

Interview went well, i guess. I got accepted!!! OH HELLLLL YAAAAAAHHHH!!!
    thanks for the tips and may probably see you around.

layta

30. box29

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    CONGRATS! :clap:

31. no-see-um

no-see-um Bindaas
    5+ Year Member

Does TUCOM consider the Nevada students equals with the California students when it comes time to arranging elective clinicals? For instance, could you do them at California hospitals?

32. ez073323

ez073323 Let it ride!!!
    7+ Year Member

That is an outstanding question that only the dean of clinical education at the Nevada campus could answer... I know that there is a huge physician shortage here in Nevada and our core rotations will most likely be at hospitals in and around Las Vegas... I know I have every intention of going back to Cali for at least a couple if not all my electives though...

Back to studying...

Brian

33. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

I never heard about that... can someone elaborate?