TUCOM Early Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, so here is my question
TUCOM is my first choice to go, I really want to do "Early Acceptance" for them however, i'm re-taking the Aug MCAT. My first MCAT is not so hot at all, however my GPA very much higher than their avg (about 0.7) from one of California's hardest schools. So, here is the thing, if I got for early acceptance, do you think I stand a chance since my MCAT is lower, would I have a higher chance to get in or would it be much harder to get in. I have every reason to go to this school, love the location, my religion and also my girlfriend who goes to med school in SF. So, what do you think, how should I make myself competitive, help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

bunnybear said:
hey guys, so here is my question
TUCOM is my first choice to go, I really want to do "Early Acceptance" for them however, i'm re-taking the Aug MCAT. My first MCAT is not so hot at all, however my GPA very much higher than their avg (about 0.7) from one of California's hardest schools. So, here is the thing, if I got for early acceptance, do you think I stand a chance since my MCAT is lower, would I have a higher chance to get in or would it be much harder to get in. I have every reason to go to this school, love the location, my religion and also my girlfriend who goes to med school in SF. So, what do you think, how should I make myself competitive, help me out.
Any help, suggestions

bunnybear said:
Any help, suggestions

Your stats would probably help. i.e your GPA and your not so hot MCAT score. People will be better able to tell you if they know those things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soccer885 said:
Your stats would probably help. i.e your GPA and your not so hot MCAT score. People will be better able to tell you if they know those things.
MCAT is lower 20's and GPA higher than a 3.8 for both Sci and Non-Sci

bunnybear said:
MCAT is lower 20's and GPA higher than a 3.8 for both Sci and Non-Sci
anymore feedbacks

bunnybear said:
anymore feedbacks

I really don't know. Your MCAT score is low, but you have a great GPA. I think it would be a gamble and it is your choice. I can't tell you what the adcoms would say. I also don't have much experience. Good luck :luck: !

Was your undergrad at a state school? What waitlist are you on? I think with that GPA you actually should have a pretty good chance.

Bunnybear,

here goes my two cents:
a) retake the MCAT although statistically the trend is only slight improvement in score (+/- 1 to 2 points). Still, retake, give it all you have

b) If given an interview, focus on school's compatibility with your own values - not only Judaic values, but humanistic ones as well. That means know the mission and the tradition of the school very well

c) Explain the low MCAT score - give them an honest answer. Genuiness always help and people tend to understand. As a physician, you will have to be honest with your patients, and how genuine you are will afect their treatment as well as their compliance with your medical advice. Adcoms know this and trust me, they are looking for it in all applicants. Whatever you do, do not make excuses.

d) Finally, write letter of intent address it to the Admissions Commitee and re-emphasize your great interest in this school.

Good luck to you !

d)