TUCOM secondary ????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asm028400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have filled out TUCOM secondaries, where it asks for your personal statement (attachment), what did you put? I don't know if I should use the same personal statement I did for aacomas or write a new statement aimed at TUCOM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine ended up being three paragraphs...

P1: Why Osteopathic suites me and my goals.
P2: Acknowledge my poor GPA, and explain why I would be a good doctor in spite of it.
P3: Explain my volunteer experience, and why it made me want to do osteopathic medicine.

It ended up about 325 words, for what it is worth, and I have an interview there...

asm028400 said:
For those of you who have filled out TUCOM secondaries, where it asks for your personal statement (attachment), what did you put? I don't know if I should use the same personal statement I did for aacomas or write a new statement aimed at TUCOM. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I did a new statement. My first one to AACOMAS was more why doctor in general and the TUCOM was more why DO. And I will be interviewing in September so it seemed to work. If you need more help, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
All my secondary essays were completely different than the primary AACOMAS essay. Just like the above poster, my primary addressed why I wanted to be a physician and how I was qualified. My secondaries discussed why osteopathic medicine, how my views and beliefs paralleled those of osteopathic medicine, and of course a small plug of why "X" school.

asm028400 said:

Definitely a new personal statement.

A responded to a similiar question a little while ago on this this thread about TUCOM .

Good Luck.

A few notes from someone who got in:

Definetly write a new essay. Keep in mind that they will probably pay more attention to your Touro secondary essay than your ACOMAS essay. Mention why specifically why Osteopathy in this essay. They like that. But don't be fake about it.

Bascially, answer the question . . . say why you should get in . . . and you won't sound like a snob. You'll sound competent and confident. And that is exactly what they are looking for. For some people this is very natural, for others this is a huge stretch. We so not used to talking about ourselves in this way. Well, its time to get used it very fast, cause this is what applying to med school is all about.

At this same time . . . Definetly be honest. Be yourself. But talk yourself up. Reach into your life, realize what a rad person you are and tell them that. It's an exercise. You should feel good afterwards.

If you don't know, ask other people who know and see what they say about you and being a doctor and osteopathy. Listen honestly to their answers. What you've told them, even casually, is probably what your really think. That's where you must be coming from, what you REALLY think and feel.

Now make it eloquent and charming and articulate . . . your BEST writing. You'll get that interview.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Take you time doing this part right. Getting it in Aug 1st versus Oct 1st make NO difference in Touro's case. Their classes fill up slowly. As long as you interview before Feb 1st . . . you're fine.

This is a silly question, but the tucom secondary says to "Please Type" I'm having a hard time locating a typewriter. Anyone else handwriting?

nrddct said:
This is a silly question, but the tucom secondary says to "Please Type" I'm having a hard time locating a typewriter. Anyone else handwriting?
uses Adobe Pro to insert text...... don't need a typewriter...wait, what is that anyways ;-) I can send you my fillable version for TUCOM Mare Island, just pm me...

wait, tucom, madre island is different from nevada right?

bth7 said:
A responded to a similiar question a little while ago on this this thread about TUCOM

"Oh yeah, one more thing. Take you time doing this part right. Getting it in Aug 1st versus Oct 1st make NO difference in Touro's case. Their classes fill up slowly. As long as you interview before Feb 1st . . . you're fine."

Good Luck.

I disagree. If you want Touro University Nevada COM I would say get your application in as soon as you can (but don't forget quality). The applications here are coming in at a crazy record pace. I wont speak for our sister campus Mare Island but getting into TUNCOM will be much more competitive this year and spots may fill up quickly. Last year we filled up very quickly and this year may be even sooner.

Good luck and I hope to see you here in Henderson.

Nik

monelkub said:
I disagree. If you want Touro University Nevada COM I would say get your application in as soon as you can (but don't forget quality). The applications here are coming in at a crazy record pace. I wont speak for our sister campus Mare Island but getting into TUNCOM will be much more competitive this year and spots may fill up quickly. Last year we filled up very quickly and this year may be even sooner.

Good luck and I hope to see you here in Henderson.

Nik

So true there Nik! Get your apps in EARLY for Touro Nevada! I remember hearing from the Director of Admissions that the class of 2009 was full way before Mare Island.

thanks for clarifying guys.