Tucom Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamJob

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to hear from a student how difficult they feel TUCOM is. I understand that any D.O. school is tough, but do you feel that you have time for things outside of school, particularly in your first year. How many hours a week would you say you study? What are your thoughts on testing all in one week? Also, what level of stress do you feel your under? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It appears they are so busy, they cannot reply.

Originally posted by glorytaker
I'd reply but a person named Finally3rdYr in the TUCOM 2007 thread basically warned people about me so I stopped answering questions. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go do a search for either the thread (last page) or Finally3rdYr.

Hi glorytaker,

I read those posts. I don't think the posts were that controversial or bad. You stated that pets are not allowed on campus (or island?) and that some people use bikes. I was wondering how safe is the area. By this, I mean is the soil contaminated with toxins? Since I kept reading that the Navy contaminated the island, so I want to know how much is the Island destroyed? in terms of wildlife, plants, trees, grass, etc...

Thanks in advance. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by glorytaker
Didn't you read what Finally3rdYr said about me? It's a warning that what I say is totally wrong so I'm not giving out any more advice or answering anymore questions.

I just wanted to know about the setting/locationof TUCOM. About the soil, the trees, the grass or hell the weather.... is the soil poisonous with lead? is it safe to stroll/walk around in mare island on a sunny afternoon with a dog?

I just wanted to know about the landscape of TUCOM. Not about your personal history or the curriculum/facilities of TUCOM. I don't care about your roommate or whether you're desperate. I want to know if it's okay to take my little cousins to mare island to see the school and the area. They like to play in the soil/grass and sometimes they stick their fingers in the soil and then to their mouths.

Feel free to PM me if you want. I just wanted some info from someone who has been to mare island. Thanks in advance. :)

Apparently there is a misunderstanding of some type. If you could give me some insight to how difficult you feel your D.O. school is. Not compared to any other school, just your own interpretation of the difficulty level of Touro. For instance do you feel overwhelmed often. Are certain classes very challenging while others are not. Do you study night and day, anything would be great!

Glorytaker,

Chill out man. These people just want some information about the school and you're freaking out on them. They don't know what some MSIII said about you. Everyone is not out to get you, man, so just chill out.

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be an MS1 at Touro next year and I'm still deciding between the Mare Island campus or the Vegas campus. I've been to the island and while it's not all the gorgeous or anything, I doubt seriosuly that it's filled with toxins either. I'm sure the EPA would not allow TUCOM to open a school on an island that's filled with asbestos and god knows what else.

I know there aren't a lot of TUCOM students on SDN right now, probably cause they're really busy. I'm gonna rustle up ez073323 to post to this thread since he is also gonna be an MS1 at TUCOM next year and visits campus on a weekly basis (he lives in CA).

I have heard excellent things about the classroom instruction at TUCOM, which is why I was inclined to go there.

Sorry to not be of more help. We'll try to get some students who are willing to post to share their experiences with ya'll.

Just to clarify one point that Elysium made. She was very correct in that students at TUCOM are too busy to respond to most threads on SDN anymore. The only reason I'm on the site at the moment is that we lucked out and got a 4 day weekend and I actually ended up being able to spare a few minutes of down time.

The main reason that very few students ever respond to TUCOM threads is that we have our own private forums on Yahoo Groups and so we don't really have time to go thru 2 different forums. So don't look for much info from current students on this site. If you want to talk to current TUCOM students then call the admissions department and ask them if you could get in contact with some of the students that give tours for the admin department. I know many students give out their email address during interviews to those interviewees that might have questions later on.

Hey Maysrd,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I PM'ed you .

-Zach

Hey there. I am one of maysqrd's classmates. She's right, we do have tons of email on our listserve, so that with studying kinda keeps up from being able to peruse SDN as much as most of us would like.

As for how hard TUCOM is, I think it is equivalent to most DO schools. The concepts are not difficult, but the amount of information that you need assimilate in a small amount of time is vast.

We have GREAT faculty. I can't say enough good things about them. Our core sciences are all combined into one integrated course that is taught by systems called Basic Science Foundation (BSF)(right now we are finishing up renal). We learn all the histology, biochem, physiology etc then move on to the next system. We also have a fantastic anatomy dept (one word: Supportive!) Right before exams, the faculty will come in and help anyone who is in the lab studying. A couple nights before the lab practical, one of the profs will be in the lab until the last person is ready to call it quits. (I don't know if you find that kind of commitment to students at other institutions!).

I thought coming in that I wouldn't really like the block system that much. For those who don't know, we have a one week block of tests every six weeks. I can say that now having done three blocks and getting ready for another set in two weeks, they are a godsend. At some schools, students are constantly preparing for the next test (some have tests every Monday). At TUCOM, you normally have two system tests in BSF, anatomy practical/theory, OMM practical/theory, etc. On the surface it sounds like a lot, but having tests in one big block gives you a chance to really study and get a hold on the information. Then if you are struggling with any one topic, you have tons of time to get assistance and master it before the test.

Remember, each school has its own personality. You just have to find one that is a good fit for you. Our class is filled with a lot of very talented people and I am proud to be going through this journey with them. We all look out for each other and help out. Maysqrd mentioned our listserv. A few times a week, someone will add a file just to help out the rest of the class. We have a girl who sits down and types out EVERY single anatomy term we need to know for tests with helpful info on where things are located, insert, etc. This is really the norm for our class and not the exception.

Good luck in finding the right fit for you!

Zippy

Thanks Zippy,

This is really helpful info to someone whose planning to attend TUCOM next year. The more I read about this school, the more excited I am about going there.

Hows this year going for you?

Any advice for someone interview are Mare Island on Jan 25th?

Thanks