1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

TUCOM vs. COMP

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by drjkl, Apr 29, 2004.

1. drjkl

drjkl New Member

Hello guys!

I am having a hard time deciding where to go. I have heard different stuff about the schools and I was wondering if you have any advice for me. Perhaps, knowing more about the highlights and drawbacks of these schools would help me . How did you choose your school? Anyone, out there, with the same dilemma? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. that dr. jack

that dr. jack Captain Bringdown
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i got accepted to both, and ultimately i chose COMP because of it's location, better facilities and better rotations. TUCOM was very nice (especially the anatomy lab) but when i came to COMP i said "wow, this is a real school". TUCOM seemed awfully deserted, whereas COMP is pretty integrated into it's surroundings. now, i know that neither is a brick and ivy experience, but COMP just seemed to fit me better.

this has been dissected, discussed and argued for ages. i'm sure you can find some other threads about this very same subject that might give you some better reasoning. good luck though.

4. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes back in the days I would always make posts about threads like this that were harsh against TUCOM. Basically I will reiterate what dr.jack said.

I take it you've seen both campuses. Both are relatively decent but I didn't like how TUCOM's was on an island away from everything. Also, COMP has been around since 1973 and TUCOM since 1995. Thus, COMP is more established and most of the DO graduates you'll find in CA are from COMP.

For TUCOM you do your rotations all over the place including out of state while at COMP all rotations are done generally in the same area. This is because UCSF, Stanford, and UC Davis have successfully prevented TUCOM's integration into their hospitals. However, COMP has integrated its rotations with Loma Linda, UCI, and the other CA MD schools. This is ideal for those that do not want to move around a lot.

I would say if you're from Northern CA, it's a tough decision. You would be able to stay by your family for at least the first 2 years before rotations. If you're from southern CA, then it really is no choice and you should definitely go to COMP. If you're from out of state, then I guess it wouldn't really matter where you went. Heck you could even go to TUCOM-LV. That seems like a good deal going on if you want to practice in Nevada.

5. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

I have to say I've never heard anyone praise TUCOM over COMP - but maybe COMPers are just more vocal ;)

6. wamedic

wamedic Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Drjkl,

Let me be the first to praise TUCOM over COMP.

I agree with MOST of the other posters, but take what I write with a grain of salt because my opinion is biased (I?ll be attending TUCOM). Something that I looked for when comparing the two schools was quality of the basic science education. COMP has had some bad professors in the past (straight from current student?s mouths) and starting this year COMP?s class size will swell to 200 students or so. I thought that the increase in class size might decrease the quality of education each individual gets during their first two years. I also considered residency placement and attrition rate of each school. TUCOM students seemed happy and they have been placing well in the match (not that COMP hasn?t). As far as location goes, take your pick - an old strip mall vs. an old shipyard. TUCOM also appealed to me because you could do you clinical rotations away or regionally. I think both are good schools and in the end you have to go with what fits you best.

7. Dr.ImCute

Dr.ImCute Member
    5+ Year Member

is it me... or is the staff at TUCOM so much nicer than at COMP?

Anyone else have an opinion on any aspect of these schools?

8. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Well for me at my interviews both seemed nice, but COMP treated me a bit better at my interview probably because there was only 2 other interviewees besides me while at TUCOM there were 10 of us. I guess different people have different experiences.

9. that dr. jack

that dr. jack Captain Bringdown
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    both places were nice. TUCOM was very friendly to me and everyone seems really happy there. the people at COMP can be whiny bi*ches on this board, but i'm really not that concerned. incidentally, the TUCOM students just started at us when we walked through in the tour, while COMP students were all rawdy and yelled at us "good luck!" a few times. could be a personality thing- TUCOM likes its students quiet, COMP goes for the fiesty ones. either way, i ended up at the best place for myself.

finally, i liked COMP because i could continue to live with my husband, who is finishing his last year of undergrad. it was all down to sleeping alone or with someone next to you.