Quantcast

Tufts and BU

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budentite

Reaction score
I'm glad to see the original intent of this thread hasn't been lost. Thanks to everyone (minus one) for their appreciation and respectful conduct.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think Maygyver was being sarcastic.

To answer your question, there are many reasons why Tufts has so many patients and BU has so few. The two most important are:

1. It takes a rediculously long time to accomplish any treatment at BU. So your patient just wants a cleaning...First appointment take a FMX of 19 films regardless of caries risk or restorative needs. Second appointment, data collection, impressions, facebow, and caries risk assessment. Third appointment, diagnostic clinic and treatment plan. On the fourth appointment your patient can finally get his cleaning. You can't skip or omit any steps. So, that's 10 hours in the chair, 4 separate visits, miss work on 4 days, 19 x-rays to your head, so you can pay $100 to open a chart and $60 for the cleaning, all just to get a basic cleaning that normally takes 1 visit of 40 minutes duration, zero x-rays, at a fraction of the cost.

2. Location, Location, Location. Tufts is located in downtown, in the middle of busy chinatown, where tons of patients live within walking distance of the school. There is lots to do in the surrounding area, and it gets a lot of foot traffic. Plus, that area of Boston is the most accessible and easiest to travel to, because it literally is the hub for public transportation, where all the subway lines and silver line converge. Compared to BU, which is in a very dangerous neighborhood, limited public transportation, the nearest train station is a mile away, and very little but expensive parking.

3. Price. Take into consideration how stupidly high our fee schedule is, and that a student is providing the treatment, people have little reason to go to BU for treatment.

Not much of the general public actually comes to BU. Most of the new patients that I saw were students from the greater BU campus (the school offers a Student Dental Plan), and MassHealth patients.
On your first part, no office is going to accept a new patient for a prophy only. An FMX and new patient exam is standard. Around here a new patient exam, FMX, and prophy run $250-$300 and takes 90 min to 2 hours. Though it is time consuming, the patient is getting a good deal. Also, all schools split up new patient exams into multiple visits. But I hear ya about trying to find quality patients. Great source: restaurant employees. They work at night and generally don't have insurance.

On your second part, thanks! I'm applying to both schools and a good commute is one of the first things I'm looking at since we'll likely be living in the suburbs of any major city.

Now if Tufts wasn't so darn expensive....

budentite

Reaction score
On your first part, no office is going to accept a new patient for a prophy only.

I know what you are talking about and it is generally true. However, one of my patients would go to a community health center in Boston that would do a prophy with 4 bitewings for under $50 for new patients. Boston is super oversaturated since it has 3 dental schools, plus the private practices, and community health centers, so fees are on the low end. She did this because it was cheaper than the $60 the school charges just for the prophy, and she had a lot of debt. I'll never forget her because I performed a direct pulp cap on her on my birthday, saving her a very expensive root canal and crown. I guess she was the one to get the present that day. She sent me a very nice thank you card which I still have.

It might not have been the best example but my point is that patients' expectations don't always mesh well with how we must do things, and you still are stuck with an unhappy patient because everything takes so many visits, with very long appointments.

If you are commuting from the suburbs using public transportation, Tufts is the only reasonable option. It's not even comparable. You'll see when you get to Boston. Ideally you will want to take the commuter rail into the city since it is faster with much fewer stops, so keep that in mind when deciding where to live.

Last edited:

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... This is making me think, *if* I get interview invites from both schools I'll only take Tufts. Unless the interviews are the same week. Flights from Seattle to Boston are not cheap.

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... This is making me think, *if* I get interview invites from both schools I'll only take Tufts. Unless the interviews are the same week. Flights from Seattle to Boston are not cheap.

I hear you there... I'm an hour north of Seattle, and most of the schools i am applying to are in the east coast :bang:

If I get an interview at BU, I will still take it though... I dont want to risk getting into no school at all. Of course this is contingent on how well I do on my DAT this Friday :D

budentite

Reaction score
While on the topic, I'll give you my short list of the best places to live since you have a family:

#1 - cambridge
#2 - brookline
#3 - newton

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear you there... I'm an hour north of Seattle, and most of the schools i am applying to are in the east coast :bang:

If I get an interview at BU, I will still take it though... I dont want to risk getting into no school at all. Of course this is contingent on how well I do on my DAT this Friday :D
Hey! My friend is taking the DAT this Friday too! Long dark hair, glasses, eastern European accent. Tell her SeattleRDH says hi.

Bereno

Smoking Monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! My friend is taking the DAT this Friday too! Long dark hair, glasses, eastern European accent. Tell her SeattleRDH says hi.

I'm not one for totally hijacking threads, so you have a PM

And to keep this message on topic... uhhhh.......... :idea: according to the 2011 ADEA Official Guide, you are statistically more likely to get into Tufts than BU, IF you get an interview (41.4% at Tufts, but only 26.7% at BU)! So... Tufts is better lol

promolion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thats because tufts accept 80% of their interviewees. just don't don't talk crap to ur interviewer and u will be fine.

Malcolm1988

Removed
Reaction score
With your GPA, you could get into Hahr-vahd, which is always the better choice right amalgamgrillz?

amalgamgrillz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With your GPA, you could get into Hahr-vahd, which is always the better choice right amalgamgrillz?

Since you're obsessed with me, I'm surprised you didn't remember Tufts was included in my top choices because of its reputation. :).