Tufts and Lahey??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LigamentumFlavaFlav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard Lahey has its own anesthesia program now and that's where Tufts does trauma and ICU. Has anyone heard where Tufts is sticking people for those rotations? It doesn't have trauma, transplants, or ICU on the main campus. Chances that they'll just cut those rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts Anesthesia and Tufts surgical ICU do not get along. Lets just say there is one particular person in Tufts ICU notorious for shamelessly testifying against anesthesiologists (including one for failing to resuscitate a person with a hole to the IVC). So, Tufts residents go to Lahey for ICU (20-30 min drive into the burbs). What a beautiful ICU and great teachers. NOT an easy rotation- long hours, sick patients, monotony. While rotating at Lahey you work with Lahey surgical residents and St. Elizabeths anesthesia residents. The residents from St. E's go to Lahey for lots of their rotations...

While residents were rotating through lahey, we noticed hey they do a lot of livers here. An ELECTIVE liver tx rotation was started here where those interested students could spend 1-2 months there doing livers. All other tx (other than lung) are done with frequency at tufts. Remember tufts has the record for heart tx in 24hrs with 4!

Also, previously trauma was at RI Hospital in providence - complete nightmare.. having to drive there every day (yes there is an appt but no thanks). Also, i never understood why we needed an outside trauma rotation - we saw horrible horrible things at tufts, MVAs, GSWs, emergent cranis... i never understood why we rotated out for trauma at all.. ?? Even on my outside rotations at RIH I saw much worse stuf at tufts.. I got the feeling when I was a resident that the administration thought that the residents LIKED outside rotations and would add them willy nilly. I HATED it. I wanted to stay in one place.

So, essentially, I would say that the ICU rotation is probably going to stay as it has been for years. The newer rotations like trauma and liver tx, i would think would be easy to part with if thats the popular feeling..

Tufts Anesthesia and Tufts surgical ICU do not get along. Lets just say there is one particular person in Tufts ICU notorious for shamelessly testifying against anesthesiologists (including one for failing to resuscitate a person with a hole to the IVC). So, Tufts residents go to Lahey for ICU (20-30 min drive into the burbs). What a beautiful ICU and great teachers. NOT an easy rotation- long hours, sick patients, monotony. While rotating at Lahey you work with Lahey surgical residents and St. Elizabeths anesthesia residents. The residents from St. E's go to Lahey for lots of their rotations...

While residents were rotating through lahey, we noticed hey they do a lot of livers here. An ELECTIVE liver tx rotation was started here where those interested students could spend 1-2 months there doing livers. All other tx (other than lung) are done with frequency at tufts. Remember tufts has the record for heart tx in 24hrs with 4!

Also, previously trauma was at RI Hospital in providence - complete nightmare.. having to drive there every day (yes there is an appt but no thanks). Also, i never understood why we needed an outside trauma rotation - we saw horrible horrible things at tufts, MVAs, GSWs, emergent cranis... i never understood why we rotated out for trauma at all.. ?? Even on my outside rotations at RIH I saw much worse stuf at tufts.. I got the feeling when I was a resident that the administration thought that the residents LIKED outside rotations and would add them willy nilly. I HATED it. I wanted to stay in one place.

So, essentially, I would say that the ICU rotation is probably going to stay as it has been for years. The newer rotations like trauma and liver tx, i would think would be easy to part with if thats the popular feeling..

This is super useful thanks. I'm making my list for applying to this year and I'm interested in doing an ICU fellowship or maybe specializing in trauma.

The program seems kind of small. I want to make sure I get a good experience and I don't mind driving a little while outside of the city. Is there any way to ask the program director ahead of time whether they'll be changing how the rotations work? I guess I'd be starting in 2020 because it's only advanced.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lahey is a big name in liver transplant. I doubt that one wouldn't get great ICU training there.

Lahey is a big name in liver transplant. I doubt that one wouldn't get great ICU training there.

I know and that's a big draw. Right now, St Es and Tufts residents go through Lahey. In a few years when Lahey Clinic has a full complement of its own anesthesia residents, what's going to happen to all the rotators? Will those two programs find something in-house, find another location, or just cut them all together? Is there any way to ask this without sounding like an dingus?

I know and that's a big draw. Right now, St Es and Tufts residents go through Lahey. In a few years when Lahey Clinic has a full complement of its own anesthesia residents, what's going to happen to all the rotators? Will those two programs find something in-house, find another location, or just cut them all together? Is there any way to ask this without sounding like an dingus?

Many residents from tufts do critical care, at top places. Its easy to stay in boston and go to a harvard cc fellowship program. I wouldnt focus on the outside lahey rotation as important in the decision. The bulk of your time is at Tufts MC in Boston. Make your decision based on that. I wouldnt go asking the PD to change anything, you want to seem like you will go with whatever they throw at you..

Can any current Lahey residents comment on the residency program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested in doing an ICU fellowship

A little word to the wise: I recruit for our residency program, and upwards of 80% of anesthesia applicants rank ICU as their #1 interest. Suffice it to say a MUCH lower number end up in critical care. I think there are a lot of reasons for this: ICUs tend to be amazing medical student rotations (high acuity, lower census, more staff, procedures, teaching), and I think the discussions around the future of anesthesiology are selecting for applicants interested in careers outside the operating room. But by the time they get through anesthesia residency, many come to believe ICU equals more/less predictable hours, for less pay. Also, in Medicine, the peak acuity occurs in the MICU (excluding the ED/cath lab/endo suite), as opposed to surgical critical care: peak acuity is *often* encountered in the OR, because that's where surgeons and anesthesiologists feel most comfortable. Once the patient is "stabilized" they go to the unit (obviously there are unstable people in the unit, but the things people love about critical care as a medical student ie lines/intubation/acute pressor and fluid management, occur frequently enough in the OR). Also, many people realize "sick" and "trauma" often equals "pain in the a$$", and get more than their fill in residency.

I'm not saying all this to tell you you won't go into critical care- you might... but probably not. Pick your training program based on a broad experience that's going to give you ALL of the options so if you change your mind it will be less of an uphill battle.

-Nivens, CT/ICU fellow, c/o 2021

Reactions: 5 users
A little word to the wise: I recruit for our residency program, and upwards of 80% of anesthesia applicants rank ICU as their #1 interest. Suffice it to say a MUCH lower number end up in critical care. I think there are a lot of reasons for this: ICUs tend to be amazing medical student rotations (high acuity, lower census, more staff, procedures, teaching), and I think the discussions around the future of anesthesiology are selecting for applicants interested in careers outside the operating room. But by the time they get through anesthesia residency, many come to believe ICU equals more/less predictable hours, for less pay. Also, in Medicine, the peak acuity occurs in the MICU (excluding the ED/cath lab/endo suite), as opposed to surgical critical care: peak acuity is *often* encountered in the OR, because that's where surgeons and anesthesiologists feel most comfortable. Once the patient is "stabilized" they go to the unit (obviously there are unstable people in the unit, but the things people love about critical care as a medical student ie lines/intubation/acute pressor and fluid management, occur frequently enough in the OR). Also, many people realize "sick" and "trauma" often equals "pain in the a$$", and get more than their fill in residency.

I'm not saying all this to tell you you won't go into critical care- you might... but probably not. Pick your training program based on a broad experience that's going to give you ALL of the options so if you change your mind it will be less of an uphill battle.

-Nivens, CT/ICU fellow, c/o 2021

its also much harder to get a job in a location you want as anes intensivist vs medicine intensivist.