Tufts Early Interview:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhunkeyPhish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview at Tufts University for December 19th. This is nearly 2 months before the 5 days of interviews they hold in February. Anyone know if the early interview means I'm at the top of their list and if I'll find out about acceptance earlier?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a bunch of us interviewing on that day, and thus far I don't think anyone's figured out why. What did you list as your intended focus? There was a theory about matching interviewees up with interviewers based on that.

I listed mine as exotic/wildlife and conservation medicine. I don't think that theory sticks. Even though there might be a lot of us interviewing on Dec. 19th, there has to be dramatically fewer of us than all those interviewing in the five days in February. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it's cause we are at the top of the list! See you in North Grafton and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am, and I think everyone else on here is...but again that doesn't really hold up - aren't there many more out of staters applying than in staters? We're probably thinking way too much into this.

Maybe we're the bottom of the barrel and they just called us in to watch us squirm... ;)

Just kidding, but seriously. If I think any longer about "what it means" that we have the early interview date I'll just die.

In other news, flights to Boston = not cheap. Am I right?

Hi all. I don't post often, but I watch this forum almost daily.
I'm a 2nd time applicant. I applied to Tufts also (OOS) and I checked off small animal and equine as my interests. No invites for me yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Feb. dates!

Congrats to everyone that has already received interview invites!

It's nice to be talking with other students applying to Tufts, but it just reminds me how much competition I'm up against :eek:

I am going to interview on the 19th too. Any new theories on why we're interviewing earlier than the others? I think it seems more and more likely that it's for OOS. It would be great if we were all on top of the list. :cool: I just hope Barnaby isn't right.

OK. I know I should be studying for my biochem test, but overanalyzing last years' acceptances seemed like a better way to spend the past 30 minutes.

It seems that most people that got accepted had their interviews 2-4 weeks before they heard. Do you guys think this means we might know in January instead of Feb/March about whether we get in? Or do they send out acceptances around the same time with no correlation to interview date?

I will also be interviewing at Tufts on the 19th of THIS month! I think we might indeed find out in January whether we get accepted... at least I'm keeping my fingers crossed :xf:that this will be the case.

Just picked up my suit today :D I can't stop thinking about Tufts :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't stop thinking about it either! I'm so excited, it's not even funny.

I can't stop obsessing either--but I'm still waiting to hear about an interview. Just out of curiosity, are any of you early interviewers from New England? I'm OOS too, but really close to MA. Maybe--just maybe--they're looking at us New Englanders outside of MA in a different category, like a contract state system? I know that they have something of this nature in place already....

All I do know is that I wish you all the very best of luck! Do let the rest of us know how things turn out on the 19th!:luck:

I am so excited. I can't concentrate on my exams!!!

See all your guys there! :thumbup:

I'm out of school now, I couldn't imagine having final exams while squirming about my interview and the decision!

I'm also OOS, it doesn't seem like all OOS applicants interview on one day compared to five days for in-state. The 2012 class has 41 in-state, 41 out-state. Since there are 240 of us out there seems likely that there are 120 out of staters and 120 in. Eh, I need to just be patient and stop over analyzing this early interview thing!

:eek::eek::eek:

Good luck to everyone that has interviews soon. I just wanted to post a heads up as I got lost getting to Tufts for my interview and that wasn't particularly fun. So...

If you are coming from the mass pike( Rt 90) after you get onto Rt. 122 you are told to turn left on bridge street--there is no street sign. The landmark to look for is statewide glass white lettering on black turn in front of the building. If you miss the turn you will start to see a pond on your right and will see CVS and stop and shop on your left. Turn around and then bear right at the light and then turn right onto route 30.

Also at least when I interviewed they set aside part of the interview for you to ask questions so go through the website and figure out some questions--it is a great opportunity to find out about the curriculum.

Wow, it's this friday! I'm so excited about this interview, it's really not even funny. Tufts is my top choice by a huge margin.

That being said, when is everyone getting in? It might be fun to meet up Thursday night for a SDN dinner/meetup or something, to keep our minds off of the jitters, or a post-interview early eating.

I am getting there on Thursday evening! It would be great to meet up but I think I will be getting there later in the evening.

Haven't even bought my suit yet!!! Haven't prepared for the interview. Is anyone else freaking out as much as I am? Any suggestions?

Yeah, right there with you...I have my suit, but this week is M: genetics final, T: Ochem final, W: biochem final, Th: travel F: interview. I have NO IDEA where I'm going to find the time to feel prepared for it...aaaahhhh! Why during finals? Why?

Good luck with your exams DVMorBust!I just finished up my exams last week! What time are your interviews? Mine is at 12:30.

Good luck guys... I hope we all get in!:thumbup:

Mine is at 2:15, I think.

Also, is anyone else bring a parent with them? My mom is coming with me, so I wanted to know if parents generally go on the tour and everything or if students usually go alone.

See you there!

I think the letter from Tufts specifically said that they encourage you to bring your parents or your SO with you. I am sure they can go on the tour with you.

Mine is at 2:15, I think.

Also, is anyone else bring a parent with them? My mom is coming with me, so I wanted to know if parents generally go on the tour and everything or if students usually go alone.

See you there!

My family lives in VT, so my Mom and I are making the pilgrimage down to Tufts together on Friday morning (or else I would totally have been game for an SDN meetup!). If I'm beyond excited about the interview, Mom is beyond excited x100. :rolleyes: It's funny because I only see her ~twice a year (since I live far away) ... and this interview just happened to coincide nicely with traveling home to New England for the holidays. See you guys there!!

Mine's at 10:30. Looks like I can give you guys the rundown after!

I would be bringing the SO along, but airfare from Wisconsin is ridiculous...flying during the holiday season, woohoo!

Are you guys attending the info session (combined degree programs)? I was thinking of doing that.

Question about suits: I come from a design background so I keep falling in love with these funky suits... one of them has a grey jacket with a white trim around the lapel and pocket. I thought it may be a little informal? Do you know what people wear in general? Does everyone wear black? I know they say to go neutral but are little details considered too out there?:cool:

I have no idea - I took my brother with me (because he's got the fashion sense in teh family) and wound up with a dark grey suit with a couple different pinstripe tones in it.

I do know there's a HUUUUUUGE thread about this on the pre-allo forum - I think it's called 'interview attire for women' or something. Pages and pages and pages - and one of the allo adcoms is on it giving some advice, too.

Might be worth a check-out.

Yes; parents, SOs, etc, are definitely welcome to go on campus tours!

Good luck with your interviews, and looking forward to meeting some of you on Friday.

I think the letter from Tufts specifically said that they encourage you to bring your parents or your SO with you. I am sure they can go on the tour with you.

Are you guys attending the info session (combined degree programs)? I was thinking of doing that.

Question about suits: I come from a design background so I keep falling in love with these funky suits... one of them has a grey jacket with a white trim around the lapel and pocket. I thought it may be a little informal? Do you know what people wear in general? Does everyone wear black? I know they say to go neutral but are little details considered too out there?:cool:

i tend to be of this mindset anyway, but why not stand out a little? so long as it's not lingerie, offensive, or straight out of the 80s, i'd say go for it. ESPECIALLY if everyone else is wearing black.

when i interviewed there, it was a blizzard, so boots and coats were the norm, lol, but i seem to remember mostly black suits, a couple grays, and more generic stuff. no harm in standing out in a crowd like that.

good luck, guys!

I hope everyone had a positive interview at Tufts today despite the pending winter storm. At least you will know what to expect for winter weather in New England! :oops:

So how did it go and specifically what types of questions were you asked?? I am hoping for an interview at Tufts in February and would love your feedback about your experience today.

Did they say why they held a single interview date in December?

Thank you and good luck today. Safe travels home!

Penny

I hope everyone had a positive interview at Tufts today despite the pending winter storm. At least you will know what to expect for winter weather in New England! :oops:

Thanks for the good wishes. Tufts was actually really cool (and I don't just mean the weather).

The interview were extremely relaxed and all about my application. The only question they asked me is 'why Tufts?' Other than than that we just talked about veterinary medicine and what Tufts had to offer that was different. It was more of a conversation actually. Everyone, including students and staff, were super, super nice right from the get go! :love:

Tufts was a "winter" wonderland. :love:

I literally just got home from my trip. My interview was also pretty much a conversation about Tufts and some aspects of my application. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be! Everyone I talked to was very nice from the second I walked in to the moment I left in my taxi, the tour was equally amazing... I have to get into Tufts!!! I noticed the clinic I work at has the same cat scale as Tufts :D

Btw, it was awesome meeting DVMorBust and DollyLama. Were any of you in my tour group? I was the one who got her heel stuck in the grate! Lol.:p

I think my previous post got deleted somehow...hmm...

I'm crossing my fingers even more for getting into Tufts. After the interview, it's definitely the top of my list. I'm from WI, so the snowstorm made me feel right at home :)

It was the best interview experience I've ever had for anything. Everyone was so nice, they really made you feel like they wanted you there and wanted to help in any way possible. I'm especially appreciative of those who helped me figure out what to do after all the flights got cancelled...

It was really more a discussion than an interview - the two people I was with asked for some clarification on points in my application (mostly elaboration on some animal experiences and some lab work I'd done), nothing really difficult to answer.

I am still stuck in Boston :( - looking forward to staying in the airport all day to see if I can get home. EVERYTHING was cancelled on Friday, and so I've been here since then...

I am still stuck in Boston :( - looking forward to staying in the airport all day to see if I can get home. EVERYTHING was cancelled on Friday, and so I've been here since then...

Good luck with flying out soon. I was on one of the lucky ones. I was on one of the 7 planes to take off on Friday. I got stuck in DC for a while but managed to get back on Saturday morning.

I know you'll definitely get in!:luck:

nice to meet you too, Malhi! Hope you've made it home by now, DVMorBust, and I'm so glad we were together to navigate our way around. Thank you to Zoonose and her mom for giving us a ride! I was really excited to meet the people behind the online handles. Props to SDN for making connections, making me feel more comfortable, and just making this whole process that much easier!
It's sure great to be back in sunny CA.

Way to go Malhi and DollyyLlama!! :thumbup:

I can't believe you heard back so soon. What a holiday gift!!!

Penny

Way to go Malhi and DollyyLlama!! :thumbup:

I can't believe you heard back so soon. What a holiday gift!!!

Penny

Thanks Penny! They actually called and said it was a little holiday gift!:soexcited:

So now the wait for the February interview cycle begins in earnest. Has anyone been notified by Tufts for a February interview date yet? :rolleyes: I am keeping my fingers crossed!:xf:

Happy Holidays everyone!

Penny

Nothing yet, Penny....Keeping my fingers crossed as well, for all of us. Last year they notified everyone in mid-January, so we likely have another couple of weeks.

If I hear anything, I'll be sure to post--and Penny, you'll probably hear me screaming from up here in NH. :D

I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for the February interview dates. I'm still freaked out that no one figured out why they had that random date in December...

Tufts was a "winter" wonderland. :love:

I literally just got home from my trip. My interview was also pretty much a conversation about Tufts and some aspects of my application. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be! Everyone I talked to was very nice from the second I walked in to the moment I left in my taxi, the tour was equally amazing... I have to get into Tufts!!! I noticed the clinic I work at has the same cat scale as Tufts :D

I can't wait to get out of my winter wonderland of WI... It's been snowing for like 4 or 5 days straight now! I'm trapped in my house unless I go through the garage and the roads are ridiculous. But my puppy loves it! :)

Congrats to everyone! I'm getting all excited and on the edge of my seat from the excitement from all of you... and I still have many years until I'll be geeking out for an interview.