Tufts MBS program duration?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undergroundcelloswan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Tufts MBS program, but I'm a little confused by the program duration as indicated on their website: "... Students can complete the program as early as the end of the first year and depending on the thesis option chosen, as late as August of the second year." I've also read the thead about SMPs and the like that the Tufts MBS is 2 semesters. I've also read that it's only 1 year for getting a certification (?) and 2 years for the MPH. Isn't the MPH just an option? Additionally, Tufts' website says: "A library or laboratory based thesis must be completed successfully to obtain the MS degree. Students who wish to finish the program without a thesis may opt for a certificate of completion." Can the thesis be completed in 1 year? How long exactly is this program? It's not that I'm finicky about time, but I'm just a bit confused. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in the Tufts MBS program, but I'm a little confused by the program duration as indicated on their website: "... Students can complete the program as early as the end of the first year and depending on the thesis option chosen, as late as August of the second year." I've also read the thead about SMPs and the like that the Tufts MBS is 2 semesters. I've also read that it's only 1 year for getting a certification (?) and 2 years for the MPH. Isn't the MPH just an option? Additionally, Tufts' website says: "A library or laboratory based thesis must be completed successfully to obtain the MS degree. Students who wish to finish the program without a thesis may opt for a certificate of completion." Can the thesis be completed in 1 year? How long exactly is this program? It's not that I'm finicky about time, but I'm just a bit confused. Thanks in advance!

From what I understand (and I may be completely wrong so someone else can either confirm or reject this):

You have multiple options in the program:

1) Certificate - 1 year of coursework (2 semesters) WITHOUT the thesis
2) Masters in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year of coursework WITH the thesis
3) Masters of Public Health (MPH) - 2 years of coursework (I think with a thesis as well)

Supposedly they give you quite a bit of time to finish your thesis, supposedly you could finish it during the 1st year but many elect to focus on the courses themselves and not worry about the thesis until the summer since that's why your there, to do EXTREMELY well in the courses.

Also, the primary purpose of the MBS program is to get you into medical school. So if you are applying the summer before the program for immediate matriculation into med school after completion of the program then if you get in you'll probably not care whether you get a certificate or a masters since you accomplished your purpose.

Hope this helps! :D

From what I understand (and I may be completely wrong so someone else can either confirm or reject this):

You have multiple options in the program:

1) Certificate - 1 year of coursework (2 semesters) WITHOUT the thesis
2) Masters in Biomedical Sciences - 1 year of coursework WITH the thesis
3) Masters of Public Health (MPH) - 2 years of coursework (I think with a thesis as well)

Supposedly they give you quite a bit of time to finish your thesis, supposedly you could finish it during the 1st year but many elect to focus on the courses themselves and not worry about the thesis until the summer since that's why your there, to do EXTREMELY well in the courses.

Also, the primary purpose of the MBS program is to get you into medical school. So if you are applying the summer before the program for immediate matriculation into med school after completion of the program then if you get in you'll probably not care whether you get a certificate or a masters since you accomplished your purpose.

Hope this helps! :D

Hmm... that makes sense. Thanks for your insight!

I'm in the MBS program right now so I can shed some light on this. DO NOT plan on doing much work on your thesis during the schoolyear. The course load is far too heavy, and if you do not do as well as you possibly can in the classes, then the whole program is a waste. The earliest you can expect to finish your thesis is about a year after starting the program (summer included).

Most students focus on classes from August to May, then work on their thesis during the summer months. Some students choose not to work on their thesis full time, and drag it out longer. I have a friend from last year's class who is just now finishing up her literature thesis, but it's because she chose to get a job full time and work on her thesis in her spare time.

If you are applying to medical schools the year before the MBS program starts, be aware that if you are accepted, MANY medical schools will require you to finish your masters requirements (thesis included) before matriculating into medical school. Sometimes this is problematic, as some medical schools start in June/Julyish.