Tufts-NEMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advice. I'm an MS3 and interested in doing an IM residency in the Boston area. I wonder what is your advide on the Tufts-NEMC program. Having looked at their website, seems like they have a subspecialty system for rotations. How does that compare with other programs? How is their preparation compared to other programs? Comments regarding other Boston area IM programs are welcomed. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Cornell, I believe, has a similar program structure. I interviewed at both programs and I had reservations about this system as there are significant pros and cons to it. However, I met a Tufts-NEMC medical student on the interview trail and he really loves it there.

That being said, I ranked Cornell highly and I didn't rank Tufts at all. Why the difference? I love Boston, but I don't think that Tufts would have really trained me as well as I would have liked. During your interview day (and even before/after), try to gauge the amount of patients that residents actually work-up on their own. I feel that, since Tufts doesn't have a prominent ED, the majority of patients admitted to the hospital were transferred from outpatient/sub-specialty clinics. In this context, much of the diagnostic thought-process had already been outlined, and I think that this is where the best training comes in as a resident.

But, then again, that's just me. However, I really liked the location, facilities, the faculty, and the other residents! The problem was my perception of training, and that was enough for me not to rank it. Maybe in restrospect, I should have (just for NRMP matching purposes), but what's done is done....

Hope that sheds light on the program for you.

i interviewed at both cornell and tufts as well. was pretty unimpressed by the residents at tufts during morning report. cornell wasn't as strong as i was expecting, but leagues better than tufts.

a program outside the harvards in the boston area that really impressed me (and is located about 5-10 min from tufts) was boston university. i also felt they had better fellowship matches than either UCLA, cornell or emory.. especially in the competitive fields. if i was a bostonian at heart i would have ranked them highly.