Tufts NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bridgie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed the first day of interviews for both of these schools. I kind of remember them saying I would hear before Chsritmas but I just wanted to confirm. Has anyone else heard from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

first review is first week of december...we should hear on the second week. g'luck!

jj

for which one? tufts or NYMC?

btw, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think he is referring to NYMC; Tufts customarily makes a decision on applicants 6 weeks after they are interviewed (some people do hear in less time about acceptances, but the 6 week rule is a good rule of thumb). good luck!

i interviewed at tufts last week and they said the y tell the first batch of people in mid december.

i have my interview with tufts next tues, and its my top choice right now.... any tips/suggestions? I"m thinking about staying in a hotel the night before .....

by the way, is it true that they accept like 50-60% of those interviewed???

Good Luck BigRedStress!

I am still hoping for an interview at Tufts...it is also my first choice!

most private schools like tufts (at least in my experience) accept between 40-60 % of those who interview.

im interested why its your first choice- its 60K a year for not even a top school!

Originally posted by BigRedStress
i have my interview with tufts next tues, and its my top choice right now.... any tips/suggestions? I"m thinking about staying in a hotel the night before .....

by the way, is it true that they accept like 50-60% of those interviewed???

yes i believe that's true. it's your first choice? good luck. but be prepared to dish out enough dough for a bakery.

Originally posted by chips
yes i believe that's true. it's your first choice? good luck. but be prepared to dish out enough dough for a bakery.

true, tufts is a ridiculously expensive school. however, this is true of many mid-tier and lower tier private schools. the difference between tufts and nymc (I also interviewed at NYMC) is that tufts is very upfront about the cost. When I was at NYMC in Dec. 2000, I felt like we had a very rushed financial aid presentation and were all encouraged to join the military. I understand that the military is an excellent option for some people, but I am not well-suited for it (end of discussion on that topic cause I don't feel it's relevant).

While I agree that going to a top 25 school or attending a state school and saving money are the best options; Tufts will provide you with an excellent education if you can't take advantage of those options. So far I am very happy with the education I've received, particularly during the second year. Tufts recently switched from the traditional 9-4 curriculum to the block system, and even on days when students have PBL, they are done no later than 3 (and usually quite a bit earlier). This leaves for a lot of free time and independent study time. Also, you don't take anatomy until second semester, meaning you get to have a virtually stress-free semester. early clinical experience via selectives, Interviewing, and Physical Diagnosis courses are also a big part of the curriculum. our board pass rate is generally very high, around 98%. Tufts is also ranked in the US News Top 50, and although research is not one of Tufts' strengths, all new research facilities were recently built. Anyway, just wanted to dispel some of the negativity Tufts gets on this board. Yes, there are disadvantages to living in Boston and attending Tufts, but this is true of virtually every school and every city. good luck!