Tufts or Nova???? Someone help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dparnes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to Tufts and Nova and I am having a hard time deciding where to go to school!!! I am from Miami Florida and I'm a senior at UF. Coming from the most tropical state, the cold weather up north is a huge deciding factor for me. I know that Tufts has been around for years and has an awesome reputation. I have also heard good things about Nova. Anyone deciding on Tufts for class 2009 with any feedback about the school- please email me back!!!

Members don't see this ad.

dparnes said:
I was accepted to Tufts and Nova and I am having a hard time deciding where to go to school!!! I am from Miami Florida and I'm a senior at UF. Coming from the most tropical state, the cold weather up north is a huge deciding factor for me. I know that Tufts has been around for years and has an awesome reputation. I have also heard good things about Nova. Anyone deciding on Tufts for class 2009 with any feedback about the school- please email me back!!!

Also UF student ... attending Tufts next year!

dparnes said:

Looks like you answered your own question. If warm weather is a huge factor for you, go to Tufts, its common knowledge that boston is a lot warmer than Ft L.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to Nova, but i might be a bit biased!

dparnes said:

I would go with Tufts. Boston beats Ft. Lauderdale hands down!

edkNARF said:
I would go with Tufts. Boston beats Ft. Lauderdale hands down!
how so? boston is so cold! :eek:

jessUMD said:
how so? boston is so cold! :eek:

Cold Shmold. There are a lot colder, and snowier places that Boston. I went to school in Ithaca, New York. We had plenty of people from California there, and they did just fine in winter. I will admit that you are not going to be going outside much if it is -5degrees though. Fort Laurderdale is a suburb, plain and simple. I would choose a cosmopolitan city like beantown over Ft. Lauderdale in a heartbeat. I wouldn't let the weather be your major deciding factor in choosing where to go to school. Boston is consider "The Athens of America" because it has many colleges and universities there. Many people choose to go to school their, despite the weather. Many of these schools are not public, which means they are getting people from all over the country; even from sunny place like Florida.

edkNARF said:
Cold Shmold. There are a lot colder, and snowier places that Boston. I went to school in Ithaca, New York. We had plenty of people from California there, and they did just fine in winter. I will admit that you are not going to be going outside much if it is -5degrees though. Fort Laurderdale is a suburb, plain and simple. I would choose a cosmopolitan city like beantown over Ft. Lauderdale in a heartbeat. I wouldn't let the weather be your major deciding factor in choosing where to go to school. Boston is consider "The Athens of America" because it has many colleges and universities there. Many people choose to go to school their, despite the weather. Many of these schools are not public, which means they are getting people from all over the country; even from sunny place like Florida.
very true. but nova does have one thing going for itself - it's only 20 minutes or so from miami...

jessUMD said:
very true. but nova does have one thing going for itself - it's only 20 minutes or so from miami...

True. In the end, it depends on what you are looking for. I would rather be in the northeast over the south any day. Nobody can tell you where to go, the deicision is yours and yours alone.

Look at the percentages of the students that get their speciality, and check out the average board scores from each respective school and see if they are the same or if one is better than the other. It depends opn what kind of dentist you want to be, where you want to practice, and what school meets your needs. See if the cirruculum is the same etc... Make the weather one of your last priorities though, becuase there are many things that more important..... Good Luck!

edkNARF said:
Fort Laurderdale is a suburb, plain and simple. I would choose a cosmopolitan city like beantown over Ft. Lauderdale in a heartbeat.

Have you ever been to Ft. Lauderdale? While NSU is in the far out skirts of Ft. Lauderdale, i.e. near Davie (suburb). Ft. Lauderdale, howerver, has a large cosmopolitan downtown along the New River. Sure it doesn't have the 200+ year history of Boston... and while Ft. Lauderdale was a small town 10 years ago, downtown has turned into one of the nicest city campuses in the country (think Portland). I do not feel safe walking around downtown Miami in the day... most certainly at night. In this city, I would walk the entire downtown river area at 2am and not break a sweat.

Then again, this comes from somebody who lives in downtown Ft. Lauderdale and commutes to Nova.... go figure :).

-Mike

dparnes said:
hey
i have not heard about nova from anybody..when did they start taking the interviews :scared: ..when i called them they said that they have not started taking the interviews for 2005..and will start the process after february..and u got acceptance from nova?

healthy teeth said:
hey
i have not heard about nova from anybody..when did they start taking the interviews :scared: ..when i called them they said that they have not started taking the interviews for 2005..and will start the process after february..and u got acceptance from nova?

I received my Nova acceptance on November 26

With my bias aside, i say go where ever you want to practice.

healthy teeth said:
hey

The application cycle for the calss of 2009 is comming to a close very shortly. I think who ever you talked to thought that you were applying for the class of 2010.

edkNARF said:
Cold Shmold. There are a lot colder, and snowier places that Boston. I went to school in Ithaca, New York.
Ha, Ithaca! I went there tooo... BRRRRRRR!!!!!

did you feel comfortable in Boston. I am from Missouri and when I went to Boston for mu interview, I felt like I was in a different world. Thus, I am not going to go to school there because I do not feel comfortable there. You would probably adjust within a couple of months, but I think its very important to feel comfortable wherever you go to school at from the very beginig. otherwise it may have an effect on grades

JRogoff said:
The application cycle for the calss of 2009 is comming to a close very shortly. I think who ever you talked to thought that you were applying for the class of 2010.

How many spots are left? I am interviewing on 2/10.

It's a no brainer! Nova! There are tons of opportunities to golf, go to the beach, scuba dive, fish, wrestle gators, whatever! South Florida is a blast! This past Thanksgiving some friends and I hooked a 300 lb swordfish! Mmmmmmmm.

Just as a sidenote (kinda important) the school is great too.