Tufts Post-Bac - Who's with me?!

Started by mferronibc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mferronibc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my acceptance letter today from Tufts to start in the fall! 🙂

Just wanted to try and get a thread together for anyone else that may be doing the same. Figured it would be nice to get some discussion going - where you coming from, where you planning on living, which courses you plan to start out with, etc. Or feel free to PM.
 
mferronibc said:
Got my acceptance letter today from Tufts to start in the fall! 🙂

Just wanted to try and get a thread together for anyone else that may be doing the same. Figured it would be nice to get some discussion going - where you coming from, where you planning on living, which courses you plan to start out with, etc. Or feel free to PM.


I'm curious why you're considering this program rather than Harvard Extension, which is just a few miles away and much more reasonably priced. I looked at Tufts too and as soon as I realized how much it costs, going to Harvard Extension instead seemed like a no-brainer.

BTW, how long have you been out of college? How much and what kind of volunteer experience have you had related to medicine?
 
I chose Tufts because of the structure - Harvard Ext. program seemed too do it yourself and the hands off advising was a bit of a turn off. I also am really impressed with Tufts placement stats, especially their relationship with Tufts Mediclal. I agree it is awfully pricey but I just felt it was the best choice for me.

I have been out of school for 4 years, but just finished my MBA part time so I guess i never really stopped being a student. I have been volunteering at Mass General Hospital for about 3 months - not in any sort of research capacity, more as patient-care.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Still looking for anyone who is planning on attending Tufts in the fall. Let me know if you are out there..

-Matt
 
mferronibc said:
Still looking for anyone who is planning on attending Tufts in the fall. Let me know if you are out there..

-Matt


One of the most expensive post-baccs and the most expensive medical school in the US...I'll take my chances at Harvard.

PS. I hope you're going into neruosurgery :laugh:

j/k good luck
:luck:
 
Hmmm, seems like Tufts gets alot of negative feedback on SDN. I can understand it is a very expensive option and believe me I have thought long and hard about BU and UMASS where I have also been admitted (at this point wish I had applied to Harvard for another option). It just seems to me Tufts really prides themselves on getting their students into med school to justify their high costs - something i am willing to pay a little extra for. My other concern is I really want to shoot for UMASS-Worchester and hence need to stay in MA to retain resdiency which eliminates some other options like Columbia and Loyola.

Has anyone actually gone through the Tufts program and can they comment on their experience? Is it worth the money or a complete rip off? Do I have any less of a chance going to UMASS or BU at getting in to UMASS Med than if I do well at Tufts?
 
I didn't even realize Tufts had a post-bac option. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either Harvard or Tufts, so long as you make a point of doing your absolute best in whichever scenario you choose.

For those of you attending Tufts, I'll be a 1st year med student and am looking for a potential roomate. I'll be living in Quincy about 1.5 blocks from the Wollaston t-stop. It's about a 20-25 min commute to campus. Rent would be about $750 per month, all utilities included and there is ubiquitous street parking if you have a car. I won't be in the area until end of August but feel free to PM me if anyone out there is interested.
 
Hi Matt,
I'm considering applying to the Tufts program and was surprised to see how few postings there were about it on SDN. Now that you've begun the program, what do you think so far?

Natalie


[

QUOTE=mferronibc]Still looking for anyone who is planning on attending Tufts in the fall. Let me know if you are out there..

-Matt[/QUOTE]
 
I'm looking into Tufts for next fall. I do like what I've heard of their structured program. I'm, not wealthy by any means, but would be willing to shell out some extra cash if it means I have a better chance of getting into a good medical school. Also, I don't see how it's anymore expensive than the programs at Bryn Mawyr, Goucher or Scripps...

To the OP: please keep us updated as to your progress/opinions of the program.

Cheers!! 😎
 
Wow, this is an old post...the OP should have a good update for us outsiders as to the merits of the program...are you still around?
 
I agree- I think it could be worth the extra. This is an old posting, but I just signed up for the service last night and have been looking through all of the threads. Let's start a new one- not exactly sure how to do that...


Mr. Adventure said:
Wow, this is an old post...the OP should have a good update for us outsiders as to the merits of the program...are you still around?
 
Thanks so much for your input. Where did you do your undergrad? Had you already taken some of the requirements as an undergrad before you applied? Also, what schools have some of your other Tufts postbac classmates gone onto? Thoughts on UMass medical school? I'll stop with all the questions now 🙂


mlh25 said:
i went through the tufts post-bacc program a few years back. I'm now soon to graduate from Umass med.

I really liked the program a lot. Courses were tough but VERY well taught and I was very well prepared for the mcat. Of course, my loans from tufts are still haunting me.

Tufts had a great premed counselor when I was there, she is awesome and very dedicated to post-baccs. Having a good advisor is key to getting into med school if you're willing to do the work and she's the best of the best.

So all of you contemplating postbacs know, medicine is a long haul and even longer with a post-bac under your belt. It can be difficult 6-10-12 years in depending upon what you choose to train in. Think it through. I'll let you know , I still haven't decided if it's worth it. 🙂
 
Hey!! Congrats on starting TUFTS!!

Can you tell me your stats as far as getting into TUFTS. What was your major in college? GRE score? Sciences? Health related work?

I applied for spring acceptance and I would like to get a better grip on my chances at getting in.

How do you like it now that you are there??!!

Again congrats and best of luck! 🙂 Any insight would be greatly appreciated!



mferronibc said:
Got my acceptance letter today from Tufts to start in the fall! 🙂

Just wanted to try and get a thread together for anyone else that may be doing the same. Figured it would be nice to get some discussion going - where you coming from, where you planning on living, which courses you plan to start out with, etc. Or feel free to PM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,
I was the original poster of this link and have been enrolled in the Tufts post bac program since September. Definitely mixed reviews. I'd be willing to talk to any of you guys about my experience so far and what i would do differently if i was presented with the same decision again, but would prefer to do it over PM or email. So if you're interested, shoot me a quick note.

-Matt