Tufts Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

01futuremd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance for the Tufts postbac program, and am thinking of attending- I applied a while ago and haven't seen much on the program here. Has anyone done the program, and generally what do people know about it and how well it prepares you for applying to med school? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

when did you apply? what is your stats? I really want to go there but haven't heard anything yet

I applied for a Fall start, but I won't hear until July.

The program looks pretty good. They have a good acceptance rate into med school (I think it was 80 or 90%) and some linkages, too.

Maybe some current students can chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for a Fall start, but I won't hear until July.

The program looks pretty good. They have a good acceptance rate into med school (I think it was 80 or 90%) and some linkages, too.

Maybe some current students can chime in?

It's a brand new program. There are no medical school admission statistics yet except for the fact that the top 25 % of the class is guaranteed an interview at Tufts.

I believe the Tufts MBS is a new program, but the postbac program has been around for a few years.

yes, the postbac program has been around for a while. There are linkages to Boston U. and also Tufts, and the program has a 90% success rate. If there are any current students out there, I'd love to know what sorts of schools people tend to get into, and also what the environment is like, since there's nothing about either of these on the website. The school seems pretty solid, and I appreciated them not making me fly out there for an interview. I just wish there was more info about it available.

anyone? more info on this program? how would you say it compares to, say, Scripps or Hopkins?

i didn't apply b/c it is a mandatory 2 year program if you start with no prereqs completed. however, i did talk to liz regan (assistant director) on the phone for about an hour one day and she seemed really well put together. considered just doing the 2 year route b/c she was so helpful. i found her number on the website: (617) 627-2321. i would suggest directing any questions to her and i'm sure that she would also help you find some current students who could give you a good idea about the program.

are you sure its a mandatory two years? the materials I got in the mail said someone with no prereqs could do it in two summers and a school year (15 months). Does it say two years on the website?

right, i guess i just meant you can do it in one full year, like other postbacs. this is b/c of their "no 3 science classes in one semester" policy. i totally understand it on one hand (allows more time for studying for each course) and not on the other hand (taking 3 science courses in one semester will be much more similar to the intensity of med school). but you are definitely right, there is a 15 month option.

I e-mailed a current student about this, and he said that it has been done that people have taken a three-course load during the year, but its not recommended and not done often. I don't know if I would go that route, but its something to think about. Also, has anyone ever taken two science classes in the same summer? would that be academic suicide?

thought about doing it this summer if i didn't get into BM at the school i'm graduating from in may. i asked our premed advisor she laughed and said, "let's move one." i think that might tell you something about two science courses over the summer.

hi there. I just visited Tufts. I met with several current students (all of whom started in Jan '07). They were all scheduled to finish in about a year and half. It takes a little longer to finish if you have a fall start date because of when courses are offered.

I am trying to decide between the Tufts program and Johns Hopkins. The program at Hopkins is newer, but seems to have a higher med school acceptance rate. They also pair you with JHU med school faculty for research projects as part of their curriculum which is good, but you don't get paid.

At Tufts, you do have have research directly through the university, but there are so many hospitals and clinical research opportunities in the Boston area that most post-bacs seem to be able to get part-time research jobs without a problem. If you really want more information about Tufts, you should talk to Liz Regan or Carol Baffi-Dugan (program director). Carol can give you an idea of what your specific course schedule would be (1 year versus 2 year) based on your background.

I'm thinking about starting the Tufts program in the Fall, but I'm still waiting to hear from Penn for summer start. I am actually graduating from Hopkins with my undergrad degree in May, so I am biased and since I'm leaving I obviously wouldn't recommend Hopkins. I am not a postbac student at Hopkins, but I can't wait to get away from here. The professors are brilliant researchers and not very good teachers. There are a lot of opportunities at the med school, which I've taken advantage of in my time here, but the classes are ridiculously hard and graded on a curve. What did you think about the Tufts program, and what are you weighing against the Hopkins program? (ie: pros/cons for each)

I have taken gen bio but I still need to take Chem, Orgo (OChem), and Physics. I would REALLY like to finish the program in a year. What did you think of the classes at Tufts? Did the students like the program? How hard did they say it was? I'm not going to visit for another 2 weeks but have talked to a student and to Liz.

oh yea, one thing i forgot to mention: The reason Hopkins' med school admittance rate is so high is that they only endorse certain students. They will only write certain people committee letters, and if you don't get a comittee letter from them, they don't count you as having been an applicant. (tricky, eh?) That might explain the discrepancy

Hi Guys,

I am a current post-bac student here at Tufts - actually only for the next month and I am finished! I would be happy to talk to anyone about program specifics and my experiences via PM, but I will just say that I am extremely happy with my decision to come to Tufts.

I had applied to many post-bacs and at the time was conisidering Columbia, UPENN, Harvard Extension, Loyola and a few others. It cannot be underestimated that Tufts' program affords you all the benefits of being an undergraduate student on the campus while still maintaing your privledges (early registration for all classes, direct access to Carol Baffi Dugan our advisor, etc.)

For example, last year I joined a medical relief student organization on campus and went with them to the Dominican Republic on a spring break service trip. This year for spring break, me and another pot bac actually organized a similiar trip to Mississippi to volunteer at a free medical clinic setup in the wake of Katrina. A group of 10 post-bacs went and we had an unbelievable time - sponsered almost solely by school contributions. My point is, I just don't think as a post-bac at many other places you have the same sort of solidarity while maintaining the ability to be involved (and get money from) the larger institution for some awesome opportunities.

Again, i'd be happy to talk at length about more specifics, Just shoot me a PM and I'll try to get back to you.