1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Tufts pre-reqs

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tvl1987, Dec 1, 2008.

1. tvl1987

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys, I need a little help about the pre-reqs required at Tufts. I recieved CC credit while I was in high school for General chem 1 and 2, and physics 1. I know on their web page it states that they will NOT take CC credit.

"Additionally, the Admissions Committee will not recognize pre-requisites completed by earning Advanced Placement credits. Applicants who have received college credit and/or placed out of pre-requisite courses because of AP credits must either retake those courses at a four year institution or take an equal number of credits in upper level coursework in the same discipline at a four year institution."

What does this exactly mean? Because Ive taken Organic chem 1 and 2 and Biochem 1 and also Physics 2 at a 4 year university. Does that count ? Thanks for the help!!

2. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Take Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2 and Physics 1 at your 4 year institution.. It shouldn't be too hard since you took it already, get A's and really boost your Sci GPA, which is key.

...or you could get some kind of Advanced Gen Chem classes? I don't know what those would be, if they exist. You could take a more advanced Physics class instead of Physics 1. I think for the statement "take an equal number of credits in upper level coursework in the same discipline at a four year institution" is more referring to Biology, where the list of upper-level Bio classes is endless.

I would recommend taking the lower level Gen Chem and Physics and getting A's. Depends if Tufts is one of your top choices; is it? If not, just don't apply there, like I didn't apply to Ohio State because they have an Anatomy requirement.

OR, take Gen Chem 1, and then if you get into Tufts, take Gen Chem 2 and Physics 1 during your final semester at undergrad, right before dental school.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zorie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think "upper level" means 300 or 400 level courses, so maybe your biochem class works? I would just call or email Tufts and ask them, they're really the ones who would know best.

4. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You could call and ask but I doubt it. Biochem is not an upper level Gen Chem, nor is it an upper level Physics... Some schools will take Biochem in place of Orgo 2, but it's not the same subject as Gen Chem, not at all..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. zorie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yeah, I think it depends on what they mean by "in the same discipline." At my school biochem is crosslisted in the chemistry department as a 300-level course and it counts as an upper level chemistry elective. If it weren't for a predental thing, I'd say it counted, but I'm not sure in this case.