May 28, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
A letter of recommendation from a bio professor and a math, physics, chem professor? I have letters from 2 bio professors so am I kind of screwed?

Also, a letter of proof for 30 hours of dental shadowing? Are we supposed to have our dentist just write a couple of sentences, sign it, and then mail it into tufts immediately? I have not done this yet.

I still haven't heard from Tufts and hoping that it will work out despite my lack of requirements....

tizom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
i got math physics and bio.. they sent me an email to complete the supplemental...

i didnt have the proof of the dental shadowing.. but the dentist i did shadow wrote me a LOR, where he talked about me shadowing... so i am unsure

longhornpride

10+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2007
Status
Dentist
hmm... I have the same question. I sent a committee packet that includes letters from a bio prof, chem prof, spanish prof, and the dentist I shadowed. I'm lacking letters from a math and physics prof. I also forgot to mention to my dentist that he had to specifically include how many hours I shadowed.

May 4, 2009
Status
so there is a Tufts secondary? if so, do you mind letting me know when did they ask you to fill the supplemental? also, when was your primary send out?

lphiewok

ACFAS Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Fort Polk, LA
Status
Dentist
i dont think tufts have secondary other than simple questionnaire (cannot remember since i applied to too many schools)

and i read in the other post that you can still be invited to interview w/o letter of hours but you will have to ask your dentist to email/mail the school saying that you have completed those hours (before getting accepted)

tizom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
i got an email from tufts to send a check for the supplemental... i think thats all there was ha

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
A letter of recommendation from a bio professor and a math, physics, chem professor? I have letters from 2 bio professors so am I kind of screwed?

Also, a letter of proof for 30 hours of dental shadowing? Are we supposed to have our dentist just write a couple of sentences, sign it, and then mail it into tufts immediately? I have not done this yet.

I still haven't heard from Tufts and hoping that it will work out despite my lack of requirements....
You don't need an LOE from bio, math, physics, AND chem, if that's what you're asking. From their website:

Required Letters of Evaluation:

• One letter from a Biology professor and;
  • One letter from a second science professor - Biochemistry, Chemistry, Math or Physics
Or

• A pre-professional composite committee letter
Additional Letter of Evaluation:

• One letter from a dentist providing proof of at least 30 hours of dental shadowing experience – please note this letter must include approximate number of hours
I also have two LOEs from biology professors...I don't know if that will be a problem. If it is, they may just accept an additional letter mailed directly to the school.

http://dental.tufts.edu/1176295338385/TUSDM-Page-dental2w_1186496760237.html#requirements

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Ok, I just called Tufts and the lady I spoke with said having two Biology LOEs is not a problem at all.

Jul 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
whoa whoa whoa...

SHOOT! I didn't realize any of this. I had a dentist I shadowed write a letter, but I have NO clue if she included how many hours. Also, I my letters are from dentist, english prof, orgo I prof, Orgo I Lab prof... am I SOL??!

May 22, 2009
Las Vegas
Status
Pre-Dental
whoa whoa whoa...

SHOOT! I didn't realize any of this. I had a dentist I shadowed write a letter, but I have NO clue if she included how many hours. Also, I my letters are from dentist, english prof, orgo I prof, Orgo I Lab prof... am I SOL??!
me too I didn't realize we needed approximate hours on the letter. My dentist wrote that I shadowed/worked for him for almost 2 years now, there's too many hours to even remember. :confused:

MNova

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
So there is a secondary app or there's not? Or is there just a supplemental FEE?

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
So there is a secondary app or there's not? Or is there just a supplemental FEE?
The "secondary" is basically the $70 application fee they tell you to pay in an e-mail, as far as I know.

tlynguyen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
So.. I didn't notice this requirement until now. I just received an e-mail to send in my application fee today. I have a letter from my orgo and pchem professor, and one from my PI. I don't have one from a bio professor or my dentist I shadowed. Should I get them now or wait for them to request it? AH!

Last edited:

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
So.. I didn't notice this requirement until now. I just received an e-mail to send in my application fee today. I have a letter from my orgo and pchem professor, and one from my PI. I don't have one from a bio professor or my dentist I shadowed. Should I get them now or wait for them to request it? AH!
I would go ahead and request those additional LOEs now b/c you don't know how long it would take before you get someone to write them and it may also take a while for them to write and submit it.

Aug 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I had the same melt down today when I saw the LOR requirements at Tufts since I had two Bio professors and a dentist. I called as well and the woman on the phone asked if I had them for lecture or lab... I told her I had both of them for lecture and lab she got confused...

Then after explaining it again she said something like "Oh I am sure that's alright then..."

Wasn't too convincing in my opinion... still a little worried but if other people are getting the same response then I won't worry too much.

prk15

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2009
NYC
Status
Dentist
does that mean getting a professor for a bio lab does not count towards the bio LOE?