1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Tufts vs Rush

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pre-money, Apr 6, 2004.

1. pre-money

pre-money Member
    7+ Year Member

tufts vs rush...essentially...$60K vs $50K...
    both great schools...

what do you all think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 17shakespeare

17shakespeare Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have the same decision to make. But being from Chicago, I'm going with Rush. Everyone there seems so laidback and student-friendly.

4. opus03

opus03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Rush, of course! In all fairness though, I don't know anything about Tufts and I am sure it's great too! Where would you be happier, Chicago or Boston??
    Good luck!

5. bearpaw

bearpaw celebrated member
    7+ Year Member

hey, are you sure rush is only 50k? Tuition plus 15k is a good estimate if you have affordable housing i think. I think the difference will not be 10k, more like 3 or 4k at most (if you live in dorms, you save alot of money, bceause its 7k a year vs. paying rent and utilities on an apartment for 12 months. its a good idea if you have a house to live in when school is out).

I would say go to tufts not just on location but rep. Lots of people know tufts because they all applied to undergrad schools and know it. Also, tufts is ranked. I don't want to knock any schools, but my understanding is Drexel, NYCM, Fitch, and Rush are like complete safety schools. EVMS and Temple too, especially for out of staters. They are not bad, they just have that stigma attatched because they are expensive, unknown outside medical world (they have no undergrad schools) and completely unranked. I don't really care about rankings except for them to give me a vague idea of where a school is in the game, but still we know that #1 is cooler than #40, no matter how you slice it. Tufts has a stigma for being expensive too, but what would you rather have?

Hey, i am not knocking anyone who goes to those schools or doubt that people wouldn't choose it over other places, but i am just being honest based on what i've seen, read, and heard. Ok?

But either way, you're going to be in quite a hole financially, unless you got peeps that will pay for ya. The question is: where do you want to dig it baby? haha

Btw, thanks Rush college for not sending me an interview despite answering all those bloody questions on the secondary (i freaking cut and paste that shiznit...it took forever!). I wouldn't have gone after october anyway, but still man, what a hit.

anyway, back to figuring out how to run this ws 65813 ...if you're up on that, playa.

6. kito

kito Big Evil
    10+ Year Member

Definately Rush. It has a number of really renowned departments and that will help during match time.

7. Odaroloc

10+ Year Member

You cant say "definitely" to either w/out know the op's preferences...ultimately it will be your performance at the school that will provide the most benefit come match time. The happier you are, the better you will do...I also doubt the rep of the Rush programs will provide a substantial advantage over Tufts in the match (this is not a knock on Rush). Go to the school you like, the price is too similar to matter I think.

8. 17shakespeare

17shakespeare Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

As far as reputation goes, it is very hard to compare the two. Rush is very well known in the medical world, as well as around Chicago. It might not have the nationwide recognition that Tufts does because of undergrad, but to people in the medical world, Rush is as good as most. It is hardly considered a safety or last option. As far as rankings go, Rush is unranked because they (as well as Loyola for that matter) do not return surveys to US News. It is impossible to speculate where Rush might be ranked, but they choose not to for some reason. Another reason why rankings are almost useless.

9. Quick correction: I'm not sure about the others, but both Temple and Drexel have undergraduate schools here in Philadelphia. They both also have fairly extensive graduate programs. Drexel's undergraduate engineering program is actually fairly well-recognized and well-received.

10. bearpaw

bearpaw celebrated member
    7+ Year Member

sorry forensic, you're right: Temple has an undergrad, I was just too lazy to correct it. Temple is a rip off to me, because its just as expensive as everywhere but the facilities are struggling. Of course you get a good education, but the buildings are really rundown looking. Its sketchy as hell too... some guy tried to take my $50 dollar bill when i was paying for gas (no lie). Everyone i know treats it like a safety. I went there on an interview and I was taken aback by how old the place looked. Drexel was MCP before, so if you ever talk to a doctor about drexel med, they get confused. MCP Han had a safety rep.

This guy from drexel wrestling cracked my rib once. Thanks drexel for training him so well.

Anyway, who cares man, just go where you want to go. After all is said and done, you can do anything you want from any medical school.

I mean, there are some kids that got into harvard med that had NO chance of getting into harvard undergrad. And kids who went a crappy undergrad and then an unranked med school and then got their plastic surgery residency in LA just like they dreamed of.