Tufts vs. UConn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpkin_spice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently received a call saying that I have been taken off the waitlist at UConn. I'm feeling very torn now because my heart was set on going to Tufts. As a New England resident, my tuition would be much cheaper at UConn then Tufts. The difference between the two is around 120K (Uconn is about 280K and Tufts is 400K+. However, Tufts really impressed me during their interview and I could really see myself there. I was wondering if anyone had any advice to give me to help in the decision making process. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have an excel sheet from my financial planner. Lets see how the schools look, number wise.

Uconn 280k or 70k per year (are you sure? I remember OOS being 270k, i thought new england was cheaper than OOS?) 6.21% interest rate

42152k a year (3512k a month) for 10 years
32063k a year (2671k a month) for 15 years

Tufts 410k(102500 a year)
61,723 a year (5143 a month) for 10 years
46,950 a year (3912.5 a month) for 15 years

tufts 617230 - uconn 421520 = 195,710k difference if 10 years
tufts 704250- uconn 480945 = 223,305k difference if 15 years

Obviously these are estimates, but the real amounts would be a bit higher for each because you need to take grad plus loans, which are higher interest rates(stafford is 40k limit per year). This would make the tufts amount even bigger.

Tufts is a good school I'm sure. The pictures look awesome. But theres a price tag to that too. I hear great things about Uconn on dental town.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I have an excel sheet from my financial planner. Lets see how the schools look, number wise.

Uconn 280k or 70k per year (are you sure? I remember OOS being 270k, i thought new england was cheaper than OOS?) 6.21% interest rate

42152k a year (3512k a month) for 10 years
32063k a year (2671k a month) for 15 years

Tufts 410k(102500 a year)
61,723 a year (5143 a month) for 10 years
46,950 a year (3912.5 a month) for 15 years

tufts 617230 - uconn 421520 = 195,710k difference if 10 years
tufts 704250- uconn 480945 = 223,305k difference if 15 years

Obviously these are estimates, but the real amounts would be a bit higher for each because you need to take grad plus loans, which are higher interest rates(stafford is 40k limit per year). This would make the tufts amount even bigger.

Tufts is a good school I'm sure. The pictures look awesome. But theres a price tag to that too. I hear great things about Uconn on dental town.

Good luck with your choice.
Thank you so much for your helpful post! You're right it must not be accurate because I also forgot to include in that estimate that the tuition will decrease once I am considered a CT resident. Thank you again, I really appreciate it!

Thank you so much for your helpful post! You're right it must not be accurate because I also forgot to include in that estimate that the tuition will decrease once I am considered a CT resident. Thank you again, I really appreciate it!

Could roll the dice and tell tufts about your situation. Mention how they are your #1 choice but money is a concern. Phrase it more professionally of course.

Could roll the dice and tell tufts about your situation. Mention how they are your #1 choice but money is a concern. Phrase it more professionally of course.
That's a great idea! I will call them tomorrow morning. Thanks Faux!

Did u contact U Conn in order to demonstrate interest to get off the waitlist or did they call u out of the blue as in they already had u pre-ranked in their minds?

Did u contact U Conn in order to demonstrate interest to get off the waitlist or did they call u out of the blue as in they already had u pre-ranked in their minds?
It was a call out of the blue!

Thanks to everyone who replied! I've decided on UConn!! :hardy:

Reactions: 5 users
Many Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap::clap::clap::highfive::highfive::highfive::banana::banana::banana::banana: