Tufts Waitlist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sackof

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on it?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my deposit which was due by February 24th. I know others had later dates to send it in by. I assume that if spots become available they wait until everyone has sent in their deposit for the waitlist. I do know they let 9 off the list last year.

gamecock83 said:
I sent in my deposit which was due by February 24th. I know others had later dates to send it in by. I assume that if spots become available they wait until everyone has sent in their deposit for the waitlist. I do know they let 9 off the list last year.

I meant March 24th.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you anything about how many people are confirmed (with money sent in) on the waitlist for this year? also, do you know potentially when we could hear... like when a second deposit is due?

gamecock83 said:

hey what's this 2nd deposit business??,

I am also in waiting list, paid my deposit..
I never heard such thing as making a deposit for waiting list? I mean I did it because I had to but not I got accepted or anything...why the heck I am making deposit? what if Tufts sent this out to everyone they interviewed? is this money making scheme???

ONLY possible explanation for this is that Tufts take waiting list seriously, they let only few people stay wait listed...otherwise this is completely a bull...

Comeon people, give me more info on this paid-waiting list business!!!
If there is any current Tufts people out there, share some facts with us !!!!!
Like how many people do they usually keep people on waiting list?
how many got accepted from there in past yrs?
Feels like I am the only one on this list....so confused..

come on...help out guys!!!

Hi,
Ok, here's what I've heard re: waitlist and deposit from Adam at Tufts. Last year they had about 90 ppl put down deposits to be on a waitlist, and this year they expect 50 people to be on the waitlist. Last year, only 1 person made it off the waitlist, and the year before 9 or was it 5 people got in from the wait list. Keep in mind this year they already have 155 people who accepted their offer and put down deposits, for 150 seats available, so they're already past capacity. Their second deposit for those who were offered spots is in May. There isn't a second deposit for those on the waitlist, just the one that you have to put down should you choose to be on the waitlist. If you're offered a spot, then I'm sure you'll have to put down another one pretty soon. Hope this helps you guys!

do you know when the second deposit is due? Also, mysteree.. you are accepted at other school(s) right?

Mysteree said:
Hi,
Ok, here's what I've heard re: waitlist and deposit from Adam at Tufts. Last year they had about 90 ppl put down deposits to be on a waitlist, and this year they expect 50 people to be on the waitlist. Last year, only 1 person made it off the waitlist, and the year before 9 or was it 5 people got in from the wait list. Keep in mind this year they already have 155 people who accepted their offer and put down deposits, for 150 seats available, so they're already past capacity. Their second deposit for those who were offered spots is in May. There isn't a second deposit for those on the waitlist, just the one that you have to put down should you choose to be on the waitlist. If you're offered a spot, then I'm sure you'll have to put down another one pretty soon. Hope this helps you guys!

hey you seem to have those stats/numbers right on the dot.. if you don't mind me asking .. where did you get this info? I know schools do accept more than they can handle but I never heard all the accepted applicants putting down deposits like that... as we all know schools do that because many good applicants get accepted by many schools...

Do you work for Tufts or your family member does??

Sackof said:
do you know when the second deposit is due? Also, mysteree.. you are accepted at other school(s) right?

For those with acceptances, the second deposit is due May 1, 2006, $500, certified check.

Sackof said:

hey sackof, yeah I've been fortunate enough to have had other acceptances, which is why I decided not to put down a deposit at Tufts. Though had I been accepted, I'd go there in a heartbeat. Did you decide to put down the deposit?

watanka said:
hey you seem to have those stats/numbers right on the dot.. if you don't mind me asking .. where did you get this info? I know schools do accept more than they can handle but I never heard all the accepted applicants putting down deposits like that... as we all know schools do that because many good applicants get accepted by many schools...

Do you work for Tufts or your family member does??

Haha, that's funny, me working for Tufts, or having a family member working there! I wish, maybe then I'd be a shoe in, and wouldn't have been on their waitlist. Some of my info came from the admin staff the day I interviewed there, and once I was waitlisted I called their offices to get the #waitlisted stats etc. So all my info is first hand from Tufts admin office. Oh, I'm sure all who were offered acceptances didn't accept, the number is just more than they had anticipated.

Mysteree said:
Haha, that's funny, me working for Tufts, or having a family member working there! I wish, maybe then I'd be a shoe in, and wouldn't have been on their waitlist. Some of my info came from the admin staff the day I interviewed there, and once I was waitlisted I called their offices to get the #waitlisted stats etc. So all my info is first hand from Tufts admin office. Oh, I'm sure all who were offered acceptances didn't accept, the number is just more than they had anticipated.

thanks... I didn't mean to be so offensive...
Well, good luck with your dental career and thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
watanka said:
thanks... I didn't mean to be so offensive...
Well, good luck with your dental career and thanks for the info!

No problem watanka, and g'luck to you as well

did anyone hear from Tufts yet? I hate this waiting business, they should make decision early for example at the end of may so people who do not get in, can get on with their lives ...

I still haven't heard from Tufts yet and I wish they can make up their mind soon... has any one hear from them yet??

I was called last week and told I was next up off the wait list, I'm not going to be accepting their acceptance, I hope this help you guys out.

OPNYDR said:
I was called last week and told I was next up off the wait list, I'm not going to be accepting their acceptance, I hope this help you guys out.

hey OPNYDR !
thanks for the info, and congrad on UCLA, I heard it's awsome school, great neighborhood, great city....
Well, I am kinda relieved that Waitlist is not a myth and it actually exists..
'cause it felt like most of the school creats this so-called waiting list to as a mean tool to punish pscy of those who do not get accepted right out...

OPNYDR!! thanks again!

this tread seems to be dead...

anyone hear anything from Tufts in last few days???

Everyday seems like an eternity ...

Oh another thing... when did Tufts say we need to wait till? July or Aug???

Man this sucks...

anyone hear anything else?

Sackof said:
anyone hear anything else?

They said they'll let us know by August 15th. I feel you, its a miserable wait

does anyone know if they have already gone to the waitlist? if so, that means that they have temporarily fallen below the "target" 150 right?

The second deposit is due May 1st, I suspect there may be some movement then...

are you on the waitlist also? i thought i might have read your name as accepted there

Utes said:
The second deposit is due May 1st, I suspect there may be some movement then...

Sackof said:
are you on the waitlist also? i thought i might have read your name as accepted there

I've been accepted, I was just making a note. I got a letter in the mail today saying that the second deposit is due May 1st. If the deposit is not received by the 1st, they said that acceptance would be withdrawn. I imagine that there are probably some people who have been accepted to more than one school and won't make the second deposit (they decided on another school and they're just lazy and never bothered to tell Tufts). So I bet there will be some movement shortly after May 1st.

how much is the 2nd deposit?

Utes said:
I've been accepted, I was just making a note. I got a letter in the mail today saying that the second deposit is due May 1st. If the deposit is not received by the 1st, they said that acceptance would be withdrawn. I imagine that there are probably some people who have been accepted to more than one school and won't make the second deposit (they decided on another school and they're just lazy and never bothered to tell Tufts). So I bet there will be some movement shortly after May 1st.

Utes said:

thanx Utes! I appreciate your concern! well I guess I have to sit tight and wait for the upcoming May1 and hope for the people 'going to their first choices'....

If you were waitlisted and got accepted recently , do you mind posting it here??

does anyone know how many confirmed deposits there are for the waitlist for this year?

Sackof said:
does anyone know how many confirmed deposits there are for the waitlist for this year?

sorry no idea...
I heard some school tell you where you are ranked on the list..
I am too afraid to call...what if I am the last ...of 50?? :confused:

I am hoping many people will drop out from due to multiple acceptance, by may 1, so we the-wait-lister, can start our dental career!.

I received a letter today from Tufts that told me about the statistics for their waitlist from 1998 to 2005 (last yrs cycle). If you want to know the stats I guess I can post it.

Just wondering but is anyone working on their immunization paperwork and financial aid that deposited the $750? And if the we can get an extension on the deadlines? Thanks.

One spot will open up as of tomorrow since I decide not to attend Tufts in the fall.
Good luck to everyone. :)

sounds good. good luck at columbia

mellowt said:
I received a letter today from Tufts that told me about the statistics for their waitlist from 1998 to 2005 (last yrs cycle). If you want to know the stats I guess I can post it.

Just wondering but is anyone working on their immunization paperwork and financial aid that deposited the $750? And if the we can get an extension on the deadlines? Thanks.

I haven't received that letter...
Do you mind posting it
Thanks

watanka said:
I haven't received that letter...
Do you mind posting it
Thanks

Here you go...

2004-2005 D'09
Offered waitlist position: 160
Placed deposit: 104
Accepted from waitlist: 9
Matriculated from waitlit: 9
% of waitlist accepted into class: 8.7%

2003-2004 D'08
Offered waitlist position: 97
Placed deposit: 58
Accepted from waitlist: 1
Matriculated from waitlit: 1
% of waitlist accepted into class: 1.7%

2002-2003 D'07
Offered waitlist position: 85
Placed deposit: 47
Accepted from waitlist: 18
Matriculated from waitlit: 15
% of waitlist accepted into class: 38.3%

2001-2002 D'06
Offered waitlist position: 54
Placed deposit: 38
Accepted from waitlist: 2
Matriculated from waitlit: 2
% of waitlist accepted into class: 5.3%

2000-2001 D'05
Offered waitlist position: 62
Placed deposit: 41
Accepted from waitlist: 8
Matriculated from waitlit: 8
% of waitlist accepted into class: 19.5%

1999-2000 D'04
Offered waitlist position: 108
Placed deposit: 73
Accepted from waitlist: 10
Matriculated from waitlit: 10
% of waitlist accepted into class: 14%

1998-1999 D'03
Offered waitlist position: 131
Placed deposit: 86
Accepted from waitlist: 13
Matriculated from waitlit: 11
% of waitlist accepted into class: 15.1%

Made me feel kinda $hitty after lookin it over...

ya i got the same letter. does anyone know how many "placed deposit" for this year?

Not bad, there is a 10-15% chance of acceptance plus there is some chance that you maybe chosen for the 2011 class.

M&M&M said:
Not bad, there is a 10-15% chance of acceptance plus there is some chance that you maybe chosen for the 2011 class.

what do you mean by "some chance for class of 2011", are you telling me just because I was on the waitlist yr before, that I have better chance or the school give preference to those who were on the waitlist???

Because most of the school told me once this cycle is over, it's brand new game....

jscl said:
Here you go...

2004-2005 D'09
Offered waitlist position: 160
Placed deposit: 104
Accepted from waitlist: 9
Matriculated from waitlit: 9
% of waitlist accepted into class: 8.7%

2003-2004 D'08
Offered waitlist position: 97
Placed deposit: 58
Accepted from waitlist: 1
Matriculated from waitlit: 1
% of waitlist accepted into class: 1.7%

2002-2003 D'07
Offered waitlist position: 85
Placed deposit: 47
Accepted from waitlist: 18
Matriculated from waitlit: 15
% of waitlist accepted into class: 38.3%

2001-2002 D'06
Offered waitlist position: 54
Placed deposit: 38
Accepted from waitlist: 2
Matriculated from waitlit: 2
% of waitlist accepted into class: 5.3%

2000-2001 D'05
Offered waitlist position: 62
Placed deposit: 41
Accepted from waitlist: 8
Matriculated from waitlit: 8
% of waitlist accepted into class: 19.5%

1999-2000 D'04
Offered waitlist position: 108
Placed deposit: 73
Accepted from waitlist: 10
Matriculated from waitlit: 10
% of waitlist accepted into class: 14%

1998-1999 D'03
Offered waitlist position: 131
Placed deposit: 86
Accepted from waitlist: 13
Matriculated from waitlit: 11
% of waitlist accepted into class: 15.1%

Made me feel kinda $hitty after lookin it over...

ok, this is the really depressing but also weird.....
So all those yrs they weren't able to matriculate more than 20 but why the heck are they offering more than 100 waitlist positions???

For example, the school has 150 seats, but last yr, they offered 160 waitlist spots??? does that make sense??? were they expecting possible withdrawal of everyone who got accepted right before the 1st yr began????
I just don't get it...
I understand it's school's decision and they can do whatever they feel like doing but...come on...this is way too much.... way too misleading...
Like I said before, schools should let those on the waitlist move on with their lives if they have no intention of taking them....

so check this out... 160x750 = 120000... does Tufts do short-term investment with this money or something????

just a question... watanka, why do you have posts from two years ago... some of which say that you are a Columbia dental student?

Sackof said:
just a question... watanka, why do you have posts from two years ago... some of which say that you are a Columbia dental student?

this used to be my old buddy's ID which he no longer uses ..since he's done with school long time ago... yep he went to Columbia..

hmm i did not know you can track down the old post...interesting...

watanka said:
what do you mean by "some chance for class of 2011", are you telling me just because I was on the waitlist yr before, that I have better chance or the school give preference to those who were on the waitlist???

Because most of the school told me once this cycle is over, it's brand new game....

Thats what it says on the letter I received from Tufts.

M&M&M said:
Thats what it says on the letter I received from Tufts.

thanks...

Don't wanna sound too negative...but how many of last yr's waitlist actually make it to the class of 2010...?

hmmm......

watanka said:
thanks...

Don't wanna sound too negative...but how many of last yr's waitlist actually make it to the class of 2010...?

hmmm......

On the letter it is says that it's highly competitive. It probably varies from year to year. I think the years when few people are accepted from the wait list are when more are chosen for the subsequent year. Probably 15-20% of the people on the waitlist are accepted each year to either the same or next year class, which is very good for a waitlist spot.