Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
Anyone else recently interview there (1-4 weeks) and still waiting on a response like myself? Just curious if anyone has heard anything?
 

toothcarver

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
3
0
Status
Hey Jamison321, what did you think about Tufts? I've got an interview in about 2 weeks. Don't know if i should cancel or not. I was accepted to NYU with a $25K scholarship, so that makes a considerable difference between Tufts and NYU as far as tuition goes. I believe tufts has been offering $6000 scholarships (correct me if i am wrong) this year. ASSUMING that i get that scholarship, it would still be cheaper for me to attend NYU. Is there any reason i should choose Tufts over NYU :confused: I appreciate the help.

Thanks!
 

onetoothleft

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
645
1
42
Manhattan, NYC
Status
Dental Student
when I interviewed, I was much more impressed with Tufts (as a whole) then NYU (facility+reputation+LOTS of patients). But you can't beat NYU's location. I would definately go to that interview so that you can make a better judgement for yourself.
 

jessUMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
115
0
37
Crofton, MD
Status
toothcarver said:
Hey Jamison321, what did you think about Tufts? I've got an interview in about 2 weeks. Don't know if i should cancel or not. I was accepted to NYU with a $25K scholarship, so that makes a considerable difference between Tufts and NYU as far as tuition goes. I believe tufts has been offering $6000 scholarships (correct me if i am wrong) this year. ASSUMING that i get that scholarship, it would still be cheaper for me to attend NYU. Is there any reason i should choose Tufts over NYU :confused: I appreciate the help.

Thanks!
tufts was awesome. don't pass up the chance to go. even if you end up at NYU (congrats on the scholarship), at least you got to see all the places you were invited, and your decision is complete.
 

jessUMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
115
0
37
Crofton, MD
Status
Jamison321 said:
Anyone else recently interview there (1-4 weeks) and still waiting on a response like myself? Just curious if anyone has heard anything?
They mailed out letters on Friday, and they should be arriving sometime this week. This is what the admissions office said. They also said that they reviewed 130 files for something like fewer than 20 seats.
 

pbure

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
688
0
38
Canada
Status
jessUMD said:
They mailed out letters on Friday, and they should be arriving sometime this week. This is what the admissions office said. They also said that they reviewed 130 files for something like fewer than 20 seats.
So theres fewer than 20 seats left for this year??
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
pbure said:
So theres fewer than 20 seats left for this year??
That is thing I do not understand though. Mark told us that they accept 70-75% of interviewees. But how can this be possible with only 15-20 spots left and 130 people?
 

StL_to_Boston

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
65
1
39
Kansas City, MO
Status
Jamison321 said:
That is thing I do not understand though. Mark told us that they accept 70-75% of interviewees. But how can this be possible with only 15-20 spots left and 130 people?

Not every interviewee attends, maybe? They can accept a group of people... a certain amount accept or reject, then they accept another group of people... repeat....

I think a lot of people apply to Tufts but choose not to go based on financial reasons or things like that... it's pretty expensive.
 

impuny

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
38
0
Status
StL_to_Boston said:
Not every interviewee attends, maybe? They can accept a group of people... a certain amount accept or reject, then they accept another group of people... repeat....

I think a lot of people apply to Tufts but choose not to go based on financial reasons or things like that... it's pretty expensive.
Well the thing is that this late in the game, that 75% acceptance rate doesn't really apply.. well it does but it works this way. Out of the TOTAL number of students interviewed from fall to spring, 75% get accepted. So early in the cycle they may accept something like 80-85 %, and now they may only accept like 10%. But out of all the students invited for interviews it comes out to 75% accepted. Good luck guys! :oops:
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
impuny said:
Well the thing is that this late in the game, that 75% acceptance rate doesn't really apply.. well it does but it works this way. Out of the TOTAL number of students interviewed from fall to spring, 75% get accepted. So early in the cycle they may accept something like 80-85 %, and now they may only accept like 10%. But out of all the students invited for interviews it comes out to 75% accepted. Good luck guys! :oops:

Yeah that makes sense, thanks. Goodluck to everyone.
 

Pikeyman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
257
1
Status
NYU or Tufts?

I went to NYU for their Open House for the people they accepted without interiview. Every class room was crowded like hell. Imagine 268 in one room. But I have to say their location is gold. I would assume you would get a good and "more diverse" clinical experience from there.

I liked Tufts, even more than I had expected. The way Mark presented things at the interview he made me want to go there...only if I had the dough. When I got my acceptance in Feb, I gave it a serious thought. But at the end, it was just too expensive.

But I have to say NYU had a better patient pool but then again, it's NYU...the Hell Hole that can suck all of your "green" juice for two years and spit you out cold. Tufts, on the other hand, doesn't have that problem.

Tufts is good. You just have to know what you are looking for. Good luck.
 

EVN3331

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
81
0
Visit site
Status
jessUMD said:
They mailed out letters on Friday, and they should be arriving sometime this week. This is what the admissions office said. They also said that they reviewed 130 files for something like fewer than 20 seats.

So I guess we should be hearing any day now. Goodluck to all.
 

toothcarver

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
3
0
Status
Called tufts earlier today and they told me that they are starting to interview for the alternate list. Last interviews will be held sometime in the first or second week of April.
 

Dentist 2 be

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
628
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
Do you guys know what Tufts looks for in general, in terms of GPA and DAT scores, and any other special requirments they look for?

Also, does Tufts give a regional interview?
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
How come no one has heard if they sent out the letters last friday? Seems kind of weird.
 

snwman

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2004
31
0
Status
Ill give some of my compleatly biased advice (I just decided a few weeks ago that Im going to Tufts). first of all, they said they sent my letter out on feb 1, but it wasnt postmarked until feb 4. I think it may have somethign to do with when the university and not the admissions office mails it out.

as far as what they look for, I really think they are one of those schools that looks at the whole picture although some stats do matter. the average stats in the ADEA book are probably the best shot for an accurate number. GPA roughly 3.2 ish and 18 DATs.

No regional interviews that I know of.

to the OP, there is no comparisson! NYU concentrates on putting out dentists that can be liscensed. Tufts looks to put out excelent clinicians. they are known (especially in New England) for their clinical program. Thats not to say that you cant specialize after Tufts, thats just their secondary goal - as it should be (man, someone is gonna jump on me for that!)!!!! Boston is a great city too! NYC - well its ok, but what city has both the world series and the superbowl????
 

Dentist 2 be

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
628
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
snwmn thanks for all your input. you're post was helpful to me in terms of the stats they look for.
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
Aziatic said:
Good Luck to all those who applied.

For those who get in, I'll see you in September!



Azher Abbas
Tufts Class of 2009

I was told I will receive a response in a week or two. So im waiting right now. Goodluck to all again.
 

Nismoboy

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2004
132
0
Status
Dental Student
Has Tufts sent out any rejection letters yet? I applied way back in July and I sent in my secondary fee in September. They haven't gotten back to me yet. What's going on ???
 

Joeybag

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
113
0
Status
For those who havent heard yet or are trying to interview you will most likely get waitlisted. Tufts of course waited to drop the news that we probably wouldn't get accepted until everyone showed up for their interview. I interviewed Feb 24th which was the last of 4 days I was given an option to interview, they told us they had maybe 5 spots left, so that 75% rule was no more, basically saying most of us would get waitlisted (assuming they interviewed about 50 people during those 4 sessions)-basically Tufts got a lot more people paying deposits than they expected. Anyway found out today I got waitlisted too. Best of luck to everyone.
 

pbure

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
688
0
38
Canada
Status
Joeybag said:
For those who havent heard yet or are trying to interview you will most likely get waitlisted. Tufts of course waited to drop the news that we probably wouldn't get accepted until everyone showed up for their interview. I interviewed Feb 24th which was the last of 4 days I was given an option to interview, they told us they had maybe 5 spots left, so that 75% rule was no more, basically saying most of us would get waitlisted (assuming they interviewed about 50 people during those 4 sessions)-basically Tufts got a lot more people paying deposits than they expected. Anyway found out today I got waitlisted too. Best of luck to everyone.
sounds to me like they accepted too many students way too early. 150 spot school should not have been filled up by mid february. good to know i wasted $ applying there.
 

lake04

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2004
94
0
Status
Nismoboy:

No interview invite from Tufts for you? I applied a month later than you and not a word...so I've given up all hope.
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
Joeybag said:
For those who havent heard yet or are trying to interview you will most likely get waitlisted. Tufts of course waited to drop the news that we probably wouldn't get accepted until everyone showed up for their interview. I interviewed Feb 24th which was the last of 4 days I was given an option to interview, they told us they had maybe 5 spots left, so that 75% rule was no more, basically saying most of us would get waitlisted (assuming they interviewed about 50 people during those 4 sessions)-basically Tufts got a lot more people paying deposits than they expected. Anyway found out today I got waitlisted too. Best of luck to everyone.

Did they tell you how many people they expect to take off the waitlist? Or how many they have in the past?
 

jessUMD

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2004
115
0
37
Crofton, MD
Status
Jamison321 said:
Did they tell you how many people they expect to take off the waitlist? Or how many they have in the past?
i am pretty sure they take a fair amount of people off the waitlist. they accept many early on and then when people opt to go elsewhere (mostly for financial reasons), they go to the waitlist. i know several people (myself included) who are declining our acceptance because of the money. spots will definitely open up!!
 

Joeybag

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
113
0
Status
Jamison321 said:
Did they tell you how many people they expect to take off the waitlist? Or how many they have in the past?
I dont recall a number, but I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of people accepted who paid deposits did that maybe to keep their options open. That being said, deposits for people on the waitlist are 750, and for those who are accepted I think is about 1000 or 1500-so maybe these people are pretty serious about actually coming to Tufts. Just another thought- schools are getting tons more apps this year, and people even in state have been having a tough time. Thus private schools are typically your next best bet at getting in, seeing how they may typically have a tough time filling a class of 150 at 50,000/yr + living. That is why I believe TUFTS typically accepts 75% of those they interview, howver in a yr where people maybe having a tough time getting in their state school or elsewhere, a ton more people are actually paying their deposits this year (than TUFTS expected).
Personally, being on the waitlist sucks if A) I don't get in B)I get in at a very inopportune time, like late summer.
 

QuietGuy

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2004
98
0
Status
Joeybag said:
For those who havent heard yet or are trying to interview you will most likely get waitlisted. Tufts of course waited to drop the news that we probably wouldn't get accepted until everyone showed up for their interview. I interviewed Feb 24th which was the last of 4 days I was given an option to interview, they told us they had maybe 5 spots left, so that 75% rule was no more, basically saying most of us would get waitlisted (assuming they interviewed about 50 people during those 4 sessions)-basically Tufts got a lot more people paying deposits than they expected. Anyway found out today I got waitlisted too. Best of luck to everyone.
Joeybag,

How did you find out that you were waitlisted? Did you call or did they notify you by mail?
 

Dentist 2 be

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
628
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
Joeybag said:
I dont recall a number, but I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of people accepted who paid deposits did that maybe to keep their options open. That being said, deposits for people on the waitlist are 750, and for those who are accepted I think is about 1000 or 1500-so maybe these people are pretty serious about actually coming to Tufts. Just another thought- schools are getting tons more apps this year, and people even in state have been having a tough time. Thus private schools are typically your next best bet at getting in, seeing how they may typically have a tough time filling a class of 150 at 50,000/yr + living. That is why I believe TUFTS typically accepts 75% of those they interview, howver in a yr where people maybe having a tough time getting in their state school or elsewhere, a ton more people are actually paying their deposits this year (than TUFTS expected).
Personally, being on the waitlist sucks if A) I don't get in B)I get in at a very inopportune time, like late summer.

OMG there's a deposit fee for being on the waitlist??? That's crazy
 

joobs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
66
0
Status
what about without a bachelor degree, any chances? anywhere?? App sent March 1...20aa 21 PAT..3.75 3.5 science
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
Got waitlisted today also. Figured that is what was going to happen from what I read on here about having ro room in class. Goodluck to all.
 

kookra

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
19
0
Status
Any ideas on if they rank people on waitlist? How do they pick and choose who to take off waitlist if seats are open?
 

joobs

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
66
0
Status
i didnt even apply to nyu. i applied to tufts, boston, nova, temple, detroit, usc, southern illinios
 

smile87

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
31
0
Tristate area
Status
kookra said:
Any ideas on if they rank people on waitlist? How do they pick and choose who to take off waitlist if seats are open?
While I was there for my interview they said that they do rank the waitlist, however they never made mention of how they go about doing it.
 

gummylips

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
7
0
Status
Jamison321 said:
Got waitlisted today also. Figured that is what was going to happen from what I read on here about having ro room in class. Goodluck to all.
When was your interview?
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
gummylips said:
When was your interview?

The third week in Febuary I beleive. I do not think they have any spots left anymore. I also was told they are still interviewing candidates so there must be a lot of people on this waitlist.
 

el918

New Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
3
0
Status
Jamison321 said:
The third week in Febuary I beleive. I do not think they have any spots left anymore. I also was told they are still interviewing candidates so there must be a lot of people on this waitlist.
Do you know how they rank the waitlist??
 

kookra

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2005
19
0
Status
So for those who got waitlisted whose putting the deposit down?
 
OP
J

Jamison321

Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
51
0
Status
kookra said:
So for those who got waitlisted whose putting the deposit down?

Not sure yet. I was accepted to BU so will probably attend there. Liked both schools about equally.