Tuition fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aks47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been hearing from some friends that EU students do not have to pay for medical school in most parts of Europe (Ireland, UK, France, for example)...Is it true? Does that mean their entire medical school tution fees are paid for by the government(s)?

So, basically my question is how does the tuition fees work in Irish/UK medical schools.

Thanks in advance.

-aks47

P.S. Good luck to everyone applying.

Members don't see this ad.

> EU students do not have to pay for medical school in most parts of Europe

If they are citizens of an EU country, there are indeed only nominal fees for public university education in many european countries.

> Does that mean their entire medical school tution fees are paid for by the government(s)?

Depends on the country. In some public systems university staff and professor salaries are paid for by the goverment and there is no tuition per se. In other countries there is a tuition but it is picked up by the goverment in one way or another.

> So, basically my question is how does the tuition fees work in Irish/UK medical schools.

In 'brick and mortar' UK medical schools, there is a split scheme for tuition. UK (or other EU) citizens pay a relatively low fee (the 'home rate' which is bound to rise sharply soon), non EU citizens pay a fairly stiff rate (comparable to US medschool tuition). Same for the irish shools, at least to the best of my knowledge.

aks47 said:
Hey all,

I have been hearing from some friends that EU students do not have to pay for medical school in most parts of Europe (Ireland, UK, France, for example)...Is it true? Does that mean their entire medical school tution fees are paid for by the government(s)?

So, basically my question is how does the tuition fees work in Irish/UK medical schools.

Thanks in advance.

-aks47

P.S. Good luck to everyone applying.

It really depends on the country.

England and Wales have reintroduced tuition fees for all courses at a set rate of £3,000/year I believe. Scotland is still free i.e. you're required to pay £1,000/year but the Scottish education authority pays this for me as I'm EU, so I just have to worry about living expenses.

Ireland is free but you have to pay a registration fee of ~1,000euro/year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to let you know that Ireland is also considering re-introducing fees, but obviously have met with loads of opposition and student protests. This is all fairly recent, so I can imagine the government will try to push this more and more. There are other things to consider, like having EU/Irish citizenship (through grandmothers/mothers/fathers) but not having lived in europe/Ireland for a few years will discredit your eligibility to use EU fees and you'd have to pay the same amount as an international student.

I can't remember how much the EU fee is - possibly 6-7,000 with the remainder subsidized by the government, but that's better than the 28,000+ for international students.

You have to be an EU citizen and have lived in the EU for 3 years before you apply Irish students pay €800 EU €5-7K

England and Wales are re-introducing fees from 2006. However, the tuition fees do not have to paid until after graduation, they are a max. of £3000/ year and some students will get additional help should they come from less affluent backgrounds. Graduates usually have most of their fees paid by the health service if they are on a 4 year course and are UK citizens (most have to pay the first years fees).

At UCC (Ireland), it's 23,000E for International students, about 8,000E for EU students and essentially zero for Irish.