Tuition reduction at AZCOM if AZ resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought I read someone saying they got half off of tuition for being a WICHE resident. I know that Arizona is a part of WICHE. If you are a resident of AZ, can you get reduced tuition off at AZCOM? I'm assuming that you can't since AZCOM is a private institution and that Arizona has a public medical school in Tucson.

Members don't see this ad.

As an AZ resident for at least 5 years you are eligible to get the WICHE money from the state of AZ if you get your paperwork in on time. That means either in October or before October (?) of the year prior to your matriculation. I applied in December, though, and was still lucky enough to get it. Others I know who applied after the deadline did not get it. I get approximately $15K/yr of WICHE money and I think Tuition is about $30K right now.
:)
Good luck! get that paperwork in! You never know!

Yes, but were you an AZ resident that applied to AZCOM or some school outside the state? :p

I was bummed out because I was told that the WICHE money only applies to those who apply to schools outside their state. So for example, if I applied to Western in CA, I could qualify for WICHE money. But since I'm an AZ resident, I can't apply for WICHE to pay off some tuition at AZCOM?

Am I totally off?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are way off. Even when you are on, you are way off.

Originally posted by mcataz
Yes, but were you an AZ resident that applied to AZCOM or some school outside the state? :p

I was bummed out because I was told that the WICHE money only applies to those who apply to schools outside their state. So for example, if I applied to Western in CA, I could qualify for WICHE money. But since I'm an AZ resident, I can't apply for WICHE to pay off some tuition at AZCOM?

Am I totally off?

I know it seems weird, but since there isn't a PUBLIC osteopathic school in AZ, you can use AZ WICHE money to pay for AZCOM. I am an AZ resident getting WICHE money from AZ to pay for AZCOM.

kristin

Thanks Kristin. You have been great. One last question and I will leave you alone.

So is it a given that any 5 yr state resident of AZ qualifies for WHICHE money provided that his or her application was submitted on time? Or does WHICHE evaluate candidates on a case by case basis like a scholarship?

In other words, can I count on WHICHE paying for half my tuition if I get in? :)

If you apply in time for WICHE and get in and are a 5 year AZ resident, WICHE will give you the money. (Unless they freakishly drop the program - like Oregon did and now one of my friends is up a creek!) No other evaluation! Isn't that great? (Just plan on spending 4 years in AZ after residency.)

I didn't realize you had not yet applied to medical school. Is that right? If so, make sure you get the application for WICHE in ASAP (if you are planning on applying next year). Financial aid can give you the number of the WICHE office, it may even be on the school website.

I know someone who applied for WICHE (on time) but the WICHE office "lost" their application. So I would be extra special careful with it. I drove up from Tucson to hand deliver it to the office in Phoenix I was so paranoid. Plus the woman you will deal with is not the most customer service oriented person you will meet, so I am not surprised others have had problems.

I don't mind the quiestions. I wish I would have been told this stuff before med school!