Tuition tax deductable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

frozen_canadian

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a quick question for my american neighbors. In Canada, we can accumulate the money we pay for tuition and then use it as a tax credit after we graduate. This effectively reduced all my tax to 0 in the first year I was in practice = about $20,000 in 'free' money. Can you do the same thing in the States? Its an awesome bonus when the money is needed the most.
 
You can deduct up to a certain amount yearly, and you can deduct interest paid on student loans, but we don't accumulate tuition money and get to apply it in a lump sum. 🙁
 
You can deduct up to a certain amount yearly, and you can deduct interest paid on student loans, but we don't accumulate tuition money and get to apply it in a lump sum. 🙁

Ok thanks. I was thinking that it would be a silver lining in the skyrocketing tuition that you guys have..but I guess not. 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can only get a tax break on $12,500 of education tuition per year. I still owed the damn government $180 last year..... even though our combined incomes was only $42,000. Blah!