tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

behand

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, does any body know what the criteria is to get bank loans for tuitions. I am a Canadian student and I want to know if I am eligible. Is it easy to get the loan once you are accepted?(providing my acceptance letter)
I am getting into BU.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how it works for Canadian students. Here, we fill out a FAFSA form for federal aid, and then my school finds the other loan sources for us, up to the maximum amount we are allowed (which is the "cost of living" amount).

It's ridiculously simple to get loans, and I'm guessing you'll not have any problems. As a sidenote, you don't show anybody your acceptance letter for loans. All loans, or at least the ones that are deemed educational loans, are run through the dental school you are attending.

If you want to go down to the bank on the corner and take out a personal loan, that's another story. But dental school loans require literally nothing more than a couple of signatures on some forms that the financial aid office at the school will mail to you.

Hey Behand...how did your regional interview go this weekend in Toronto??

Anyways, getting loans as a Canadian is not as easy as Gavin described for American students. Your credit history comes into play and will effect your ability to get loans. And also, you must go through Canadian banks to get loans, because American loaners will require an American co-signer. If you are looking into bank loans, start looking at the big banks like Scotia, CIBC, etc. I believe they have loans directed towards students like yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I just had my regional interview, and it was very very relaxing, I tottaly did not expect this environment, the interviewer was very kind and smiling at all times. I feel very excited. He did not ask me anything hard at all, actually I was the one asking all the questions lol
I felt like I am interviewing him. I hope my other interviewers are the same. He also gave me a big info package, with his card in it, I dont know if they give these to all student or should I feel privilaged. If someone has gone through BU interview, can you please tell me if you got the same package. It was my first interview and I am a little confused. He said that I will get results in 3 weeks, do u guys know if they send the results earlier. thanks to all of ya, it was great help talking to u all. :laugh:

hey behand my little naive Canadian..heheheh.....sorry to burst your bubble, but everyone got that package, but Im still sure you are very special ;) ....and you have to realize that this is not Canada and the process is very different. For instance, in Canadian dental interviews, they usually ask crazy ethical questions and put you on the spot, but most American interviews just really wanna get to know you better, and the interviews are very relaxing....

And about your chances....if you got an interview and you can speak english and/or not an idiot, then you are basically accepted. Once again...THIS IS NOT CANADA!! I am sure that the interviewer was scaring you with his stats that they have interviewed like 900 people, and their class is like 110, but you have to realize that they have probably accepted like 600 as well. BU is an EXTREMELY expensive school, so usually students choose other schools to goto and they need to accept many people.

So what you are looking at is probably 2-3 weeks for them to get the acceptence letter ready and 1.5 weeks to get to your house in Canada...so your looking at the end of Feb AT THE LATEST! However, you are looking at a $2000 US initial deposit, and you probably only have 1-2 weeks to make a decision, so Im just giving you the heads up!!!

Dont lose sleep thinking if you will get accepted...cause you will! If I were you, I would start looking at loan options, cause you are gonna need it! (unless your loaded)

from a few of my canadian friends who interviewed in US, they say that if you go to the interviews for BU, NYU, or USC (ones i've heard so far), you're basically in- and they all got scholarships, too. (but the pultry thousand will not dent their high tuition much, no pun intended)

in all honesty i haven't met any canadian who haven't gotten into at least one single [private] american school (provided their gpa is not crap even by US standards). so if you are willing to shill out the dough i'd say you're pretty much IN.

Have you looked into CanHelp?? It's part of Teri and caters to Canadians studying in the states. With a credit-worthy co-signer you can borrow up to 45K US each year.

As for Canadians getting into the US, many do get rejected because it takes more than GPA to get accepted. In certain Canadian schools, you can have a 4.0 GPA without any social skills or experience and still get in. But in the end, where ever you go, you'll be a dentist, doing what you love. The loans will get paid with the exact hard work that got you into dental school in the first place. So don't listen to anyone out there who attempts to put you down regarding the US and loan amounts.

Good luck!
Hot-n-Aml

Originally posted by ItsGavinC

It's ridiculously simple to get loans, and I'm guessing you'll not have any problems....

:wow: so jealous of you guys, as it is ridiculously difficult for many of those who are in the international dental forum...

:oops: :eek: