Tulane Cell and Mol.Bio MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

swatchgirl

Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick.
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what is the percentage success rate of this program at getting its students into medical school (Tulane SOM and whatnot) does anyone know? don't know if anyone has mentioned this in previous posts but thought i'd ask anyway to confirm.

also who is THE person to contact regarding one's application status for this program?

thanks guys
 
Last edited:
oh so another thing i just noticed, the classes for this program are not held anywhere near the medical school (it's all a part of the school of science and engineering??), um is that a good thing or bad thing for an smp?
 
pretty sure you dont get to take med. classes with that masters program, but id double check. I think pharmacology might be the only one that gives you a med. class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Speak with Dr. Grisbaum. All classes are graduate level classes, none are med school. He said that 60% of his students got into med school.
 
Has anyone on the waitlist heard from the Tulane CMB program yet? Is it too late to hear anything?

mattng- What did you decide? are you coming to the program at Tulane?
 
Yep, I'm going to be going. They are finalizing their lists now. Dr. Grisbaum said that he was going to call people on the waitlist and those that have been accepted for their responses.
 
Nice to hear you will be there too Matt.

As far as classes with the med school - I was there last week and and talked to some People in the office and most of the classes are taken at the main campus on St. Charles St., but if you really press the issue you can get some classes at the med school and possibly among the med students.


To check you status Marnie Mercado is a good person to contact.
 
Hey.
I actually just finished the CMB program this past May, and if you guys have any questions regarding classes, housing, or anything, just PM me. I'll try my best to answer them
 
Snowy any suggestions for those of us who are attending? Classes to take or those to avoid? Campus life and so on.
 
Hmm... For Fall, I took Embryology, Genetics, and Physiology. I'm not sure if you are going to take Embryology (alot of people in the program did), but Dr. Han, the instructor, was pretty bad. People couldn't understand what he was trying to say, and some people thought that his exam questions had a lot of ambiguity to it. But, if Dr. Muneoka is teaching, then I would definitely take it- people said he's awesome, and is a really good instructor.

Some students thought Dr. Tien's Molecular Biology class was hard, but I didn't take it, so i can't really tell you.

If you find a class that is offered outside of the Cell Bio Dept., run it through Dr. Grisbaum and see if it's acceptable. You don't necessary have to take classes that are only listed under CMB.

As for research, you can either do research or do clinical rotation. I thought I HAD to do the rotation because I was planning to go to medical school, but this is not the case. It's totally up to you. And if you already know a doctor in the area that you want to shadow, or know a professor that you want to do research under, run it by Dr. Grisbaum- he's pretty flexible, so if it sounds reasonable, he'll let you do it.

I think that's all I can think of right now. If you have more specific questions, let me know and I'll try my best to answer them 🙂


Snowy any suggestions for those of us who are attending? Classes to take or those to avoid? Campus life and so on.
 
hey snowy what were your stats for getting into the program? how would you grade it overall in terms of enhancing your med school app? and how come you did Cell/Mol Bio over the other programs Tulane offers such as Human Genetics? thanks!