Tulane Genetics vs Mississippi College MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WhatamIDOING!

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All,

I looked on the forums for a while and have been unable to find much info on the Genetics program at Tulane. I recently got accepted there, and to the Microbiology masters program at Tulane, as well as the Masters of Medical Sciences Program at Mississippi College . I am unsure which one is more reputable and if anyone has any tips or suggestions regarding the programs I would greatly appreciate it.

Undergrad sGPA: 3.0
Grad sGPA: 3.7 (roughly 30 credits of hard science courses)
Mcat: 22 (studying for end of August MCAT averaging 505-508 on Princeton Review practice tests)

I am not opposed to DO or MD I just want to have the best application possible I think everything else is in good shape:

Good LORs
500 hours shadowing (only MD)
200 hours volunteering at a hospital
over 1000 hours of research (3 different projects)
Worked about 30 hours a week over the course of the semester in undergrad and grad (i learned better balancing as I got older hence the gpa trend)

I have many other ecs but won't burden the thread with the long list

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
As the Director of the Master's in Medical Genetics and Genomics at Tulane I would like to add some thoughts and information. I am also on the Admissions committee for Tulane Medical School.

First of all, the post's title says "Tulane Genetics vs Mississippi College MS" - but the person got into Tulane Microbiology MS, not our Genetics program. There is a difference: both are great programs. We have been around longer so we have better stats regarding the percentage of students who go on to Medical or DO school (around 90% eventually - but not always the year after they finish.) I would bet Micro will have similar stats.

Regarding which Masters to pick: I advice students to think about what they like to learn. I have a passion for Medical Genetics as does all my faculty. And I believe genetics will affect every specialty and is the wave of the future of medicine. We want students who are interested in genetics. I think almost all Post-bacs are close to equal in terms of helping you get into medical school. Admission depends on so many factors that the post-bac is just one. It is useful for showing you can do graduate level academics. So choosing among them I believe, should be more about what you will enjoy learning for that year.

Anyone with more questions about our Master's please email me at; [email protected]