Tulane Match list 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

champion1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this post is directed towards a T4.

Can a fourth year at Tulane provide some insight into what happened in the match this year?

There were some top peds matches this year, but what happened to the other specialties?

Comparing this year's match list with that of previous years, this year's looked weaker...

I love the school and NOLA. But, I do find it a bit concerning if I have to shell out 320k to go to Tulane...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So much of a match list is personal preference and the influence of factors outside the hospital. Tulane is basically a "national" medical school so you'd have to look at the demographics of each class to determine where they would want to return.

I go to Tulane and I matched this year... you know what influenced my rank order list? Public school systems for my children and geographical distance from my parents. Reputation of program was waaay down on my considerations. I'm not from California and would not like to go there, so even though I interviewed at two UC programs I ranked them both below two newer rural community programs. In the end I matched at my #1 so I am satisfied with my Tulane experience, no matter what an incoming T1 thinks of it.

I should also add that I am a 5th year senior so I am very familiar with the class of 2016 as well, and between 2016 and 2017 I can say that the 2017 class was much more competitive than 2016- my deans letter rankings dropped when my same scores were put up against the newer class.

If you love the school and love the city just like I did, then go to Tulane. Not gonna lie, in addition to making me a doctor, Tulane has been hella fun just like we advertise in the interviews. If the price tag is a turn off and you have cheaper options elsewhere, maybe you should go there instead and come visit New Orleans for the festivals. Many people do that too. But I don't see how reading a match list, especially a list at a geographically diverse school like Tulane, would be a factor in choosing a school. Many folks just want to go home.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, this post is directed towards a T4.

Can a fourth year at Tulane provide some insight into what happened in the match this year?

There were some top peds matches this year, but what happened to the other specialties?

Comparing this year's match list with that of previous years, this year's looked weaker...

I love the school and NOLA. But, I do find it a bit concerning if I have to shell out 320k to go to Tulane...

Thanks!

I'd be more concerned if a school regularly had a crappy match list and only had 1 good year than if a school regularly had a solid match list and had a "bad" year. Unless a school got hit by a bunch of sanctions from LCME or was having major accreditation issues, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Tulane is a great school that matches folks all over the country. This is likely due to fact that the vast majority of its class is not from the south and they have no interest in training or practicing there. The school down the street's match list looks "weaker" but this is a reflection of its students by and large wanted to stay close to home after school.

As a rising MS4 I cannot agree more with @sazerac's perspective. I used to dream of marching somewhere high flying for residency but now I really just want to go somewhere I'll gel with my colleagues, get training I'm happy with, and be as close to family as humanly possible. I too tried to "read" match lists a few years ago, but it's really futile for the most part. Each person's ROL is deeply personal and it's really hard to infer if their match is "good" or "bad."

Reactions: 1 users