Tulane Secondary Available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvoDevo

Forging a Different Path
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since things are in a bit of disarry, a member of the Tulane adcom has asked me to post their secondary application until the website is up and running.

Good luck everyone.

Tulane Secondary

Members don't see this ad.

can we even send mail to the school?
is there someone we can contact to make sure before spending the $95?
thanx

I'm confused because they didn't seem to change their physical or email addresses and I know that at least the webmail Tulane uses isn't back up. Anyone??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll try to find out if mail sent to the old address is being forwarded and post the info here. If so, you can just send it to the old address.

EvoDevo said:
Since things are in a bit of disarry, a member of the Tulane adcom has asked me to post their secondary application until the website is up and running.

Good luck everyone.

Tulane Secondary

So if we already submitted the secondary and paid, do we need to do it again now? :confused:

Tulane student said:
I'll try to find out if mail sent to the old address is being forwarded and post the info here. If so, you can just send it to the old address.

Whats the deal if we have already paid and sent a secondary? send another one with a copy of the cashed check?

Tulane student said:

So even if they already cashed our $95 check, we have to send it again? Can't we just send proof that they cashed it like a copy of the check? I'm sure their bank accounts are still intact, no? :confused:

Nakhrewali said:
So even if they already cashed our $95 check, we have to send it again? Can't we just send proof that they cashed it like a copy of the check? I'm sure their bank accounts are still intact, no? :confused:

I don't know the official answer to any of your three questions. But I know the school, and I know that it would be very out of character for Tulane to ask for an additional secondary fee from an applicant if proof exists anywhere that it has already been paid.

And it certainly wouldn't do any harm to send a copy of the cancelled check along with a copy of your secondary and copies of any correspondence you've received from the school. It's an extra bit of work for you, but nothing compared to what our administrators are having to do at the moment, putting the school back together in such short order. It's pretty impressive on their part, so whatever little thing you can do to make it easier for them will likely also make this process less stressful for yourself.

Ya I'd mail back your secondary (hopefully everyone saved it), proof of a cashed check, and the invitation to interview (if you recieved one).

ti89 said:
Ya I'd mail back your secondary (hopefully everyone saved it), proof of a cashed check, and the invitation to interview (if you recieved one).

Is this address in New Orleans? How will they get it the info if that mail service is not working there?

brodaiga said:
Is this address in New Orleans? How will they get it the info if that mail service is not working there?

Hey all --

This was posted in another thread:

la-doc said:
We hope to have admissions up and running by mid October and I will post to this forum as more information becomes available.

Thanks to all for your patience.

Marc J. Kahn, MD
Associate Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs
Tulane University School of Medicine

So essentially they probably don't even know where we need to send the applications (yet). I am sure the secondary that was posted in this sticky was the secondary that was sent out before Katrina hit (ie: when they actually had a mailing address).

So my advise would be to chill out and not so much worry about getting your secondary in first to Tulane. They obviously want to recruit a class for next fall, but its a little hard now when there stuff has been destroyed. So I'd just get the application all together so when they give us an address all you have to do is drop it in the mail.

-waitman

(my original application to them is probably floating somewhere in the gulf of mexico as I mailed it a few days before Katrina hit. At least thats what the USPS told me after I said I hadn't gotten the delivery confirmation :laugh: .)

waitman192 said:
(my original application to them is probably floating somewhere in the gulf of mexico as I mailed it a few days before Katrina hit. At least thats what the USPS told me after I said I hadn't gotten the delivery confirmation :laugh: .)

that was a good chuckle... i know it sux, but it helps to laugh :p

guys, mail service is slowly starting to get back into the area.

i know that this seems like the end of the world, not knowing where to send your application, or whether to send it twice, but if you are planning on resending it, maybe wait another week until things get up and running with USPS or UPS or whatever service you use. the website to each will tell you whether they are delivering, the zip is 70122. they plan to have things back in order by the end of the month...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be hesitant to send anything to that New Orleans address... here is an excerpt from tulane.edu:

Tulane University is operating out of its Houston, Texas campus, where President Scott Cowen and a core of university leaders from Student Affairs, the Provost's Office, Health Sciences Center, Human Resources, Information Technology and University Communications are assembled. This team will facilitate all aspects of Tulane's return to New Orleans.

Tulane University
1700 West Loop South
Suite 900
Houston, TX 77027

Mateodaspy said:
I would be hesitant to send anything to that New Orleans address... here is an excerpt from tulane.edu:

Tulane University is operating out of its Houston, Texas campus, where President Scott Cowen and a core of university leaders from Student Affairs, the Provost's Office, Health Sciences Center, Human Resources, Information Technology and University Communications are assembled. This team will facilitate all aspects of Tulane's return to New Orleans.

Tulane University
1700 West Loop South
Suite 900
Houston, TX 77027

I'm fairly certain this will not be the correct address for admissions. Please do not send anything there at this time. As I write this, we are setting up applicant pages on the official website, which will give you all instructions on where to send everything.

We also do expect that mail sent to the old address in New Orleans, if you sent it after September 1-2, will eventually make its way to the new address in Houston. However, forwarded mail takes longer to reach its destination, and you will most likely save postal transit time if you wait a day or two to find out the new address, and resend it.

Any mail sent prior to the hurricane should be resent to the new address once it is posted on the website.

Tulane student said:
I'm fairly certain this will not be the correct address for admissions. Please do not send anything there at this time. As I write this, we are setting up applicant pages on the official website, which will give you all instructions on where to send everything.

We also do expect that mail sent to the old address in New Orleans, if you sent it after September 1-2, will eventually make its way to the new address in Houston. However, forwarded mail takes longer to reach its destination, and you will most likely save postal transit time if you wait a day or two to find out the new address, and resend it.

Any mail sent prior to the hurricane should be resent to the new address once it is posted on the website.

OK, disregard the last two paragraphs. The latest information I have is that the admissions committee is NOT going to require that secondaries be resent.

However, this is not the official word. Check the website for that, when it comes up. But unless someone in authority changes their mind between now and then, that should be what's posted.

From the website...

September 16, 2005
Posted By: Scarlet Gemmina Sparkuhl

To All 2006 Applicants: I have spoken with Dr. Kevin Krane, Vice Dean for Academic Affairs today. The admissions office will be posting a notice on Monday regarding the subsequent steps that need to be taken to ensure completion of our applications. They have received numerous individual inquiries regardarding this issue, and ask that we continuously check this website for updates.

FAQ Posted: http://www.som.tulane.bcm.edu/content.cfm?menu_id=169#1

Q. Will Tulane still be accepting students to begin the 2006-2007 academic year?

Yes. Tulane expects an excellent group of students will begin the first year of medical school at Tulane in the fall of 2006.

Q. Why should I still come to Tulane?

Tulane has always had extraordinary students committed to community service. We are now recruiting students who are looking for the opportunity of a lifetime to rebuild the great city of New Orleans and continue our traditions of service to the citizens in and around our city.

Q. Is my application still accessible to the admissions committee?

The AMCAS application is accessible to the committee, but the secondary application is not, until we can occupy our facilities in New Orleans.

Q.I sent my secondary application during the hurricane "chaos". How can I make sure that you got it?

You don’t need to submit a new secondary application.

Q. Do I need to resend any information to the admissions office?

No new information needs to be mailed to the Admissions office. Please bring copies of your application when you interview.

Q. Who/how do I contact the admissions department?

Please contact Susanna Vargas at 713-798-4835 beginning September 20.

Q. Will my interview be rescheduled/relocated to Houston?

Yes, through December your interview will be rescheduled/scheduled in Houston on the campus of Baylor College of Medicine. We hope to schedule any interviews remaining after January, 2006, in New Orleans.

Q. How soon will those be rescheduled?

Interviews for those applicants who have applied to both Baylor and Tulane will begin October 7. Applicants who wish to schedule an interview for "Tulane only" should call Mrs. Susanna Vargas at 713-798-4835 after Monday, September 19.

Q. When I come for my interview, will I be able to stay with a Tulane student?

We will attempt to continue our pattern of housing applicants with current Tulane students.

Q. How would I be able to tour the school’s facilities? (Will there be a virtual tour?)

Tours will not be possible until a later date, but we will attempt to have information on the website including photographs of our new facilities. During your Houston visit you can speak with current Tulane students who will describe all facets of the Tulane environment.

Q. How much damage did the medical school sustain?

There are areas of readily reparable damage on the first floor of the current medical school building. The new building at 1555 Poydras will be ready for occupancy for the incoming Class.

Q. What is the social life going to be like?

The social life likely will be incredibly healthy based on the strong bonds formed following the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

Q. When will you be back in New Orleans?

We expect to be back January, 2006.

Q. Were student living facilities damaged?

The areas of New Orleans where Tulane students have lived in the past suffered little damage during the hurricane. The Tulane medical students’ dormitory (Deming) suffered only minor damage.

Q. How is research going to be affected at Tulane?

Tulane’s many areas of research will continue to be strong. Investigators have temporarily moved to other institutions to continue their research during this interim phase.

Q. How will the interest groups, clubs, and all other groups at Tulane be affected?

All of our student activities should continue as in the past. However, from what we have seen so far from our students already here in Houston assisting in our relocation process, it appears that this unfortunate situation is creating even stronger bonds within our student body.

So...can we send our secondaries to that Houston address now?

muzikbuf said:
guys, mail service is slowly starting to get back into the area.

i know that this seems like the end of the world, not knowing where to send your application, or whether to send it twice, but if you are planning on resending it, maybe wait another week until things get up and running with USPS or UPS or whatever service you use. the website to each will tell you whether they are delivering, the zip is 70122. they plan to have things back in order by the end of the month...

This information is incorrect. Tulane med's zip code is 70112. Please make sure you are checking the correct zip code before attempting to send mail.

Has anyone rescheduled their interview yet?

TheMightyAngus said:
Has anyone rescheduled their interview yet?

I called today and talked with a very nice admissions counselor. They are just taking names, prev. scheduled interview date info, and phone #s right now.

I just spoke with the admissions office. She told me they weren't requiring secondaries. They were going to screen my AMCAS and then decide on an interview.

Jbienven said:
I just spoke with the admissions office. She told me they weren't requiring secondaries. They were going to screen my AMCAS and then decide on an interview.

Oh I see. I was going to call them about that. I submitted my secondary a LONG time ago before Katrina but have not been invited to interview. So you are saying they will look at the AMCAS application and decide right? I hope I get one. :oops:

To confirm an earlier posters comment, I too just spoke with the admissions office, and they said that they are not going to use secondaries this year. Those of us that did not send a secondary will have a decision made about whether or not we will get an interview based upon our primary.

I felt horrible having to call and ask - I felt so selfish asking about what I needed to do to get in and wanted to just reach through the phone and hug the woman on the other end! Difficult situations like this bring out the best in people though, and imagine what an amazing group of people will decide to matriculate there!

What about letters of Rec? Are they going to go purely by numbers with no recommendations?

db1 said:
What about letters of Rec? Are they going to go purely by numbers with no recommendations?

i guess. and probably AMCAS essay. :(

db1 said:

So...we don't need to send in our secondaries, regardless...any one knows what happens to the LOR? Should we send them or not...?

And what about application fees? Normally they'd get applicaton fees from everyone who sends back a secondary (which would be most of the people who sent primaries). Even if they asked you to pay upon granting an interview, that's still far less money than they'd normally get. Can't imagine that would be good for them.

db1 said:

I just spoke to the lady in the admissions office about rescheduling my interview. She told me to have my letters of rec. e-mailed to her prior to my interview. So it sounds like they will be making interview decisions based on numbers and then acceptances and the like with the rest of the application. Hope this helps.

Speaking of interviewing if you were already invited you may call them to reschedule, they are interviewing at Baylor starting October 7th.

Messerschmitts said:
And what about application fees? Normally they'd get applicaton fees from everyone who sends back a secondary (which would be most of the people who sent primaries). Even if they asked you to pay upon granting an interview, that's still far less money than they'd normally get. Can't imagine that would be good for them.

I called and she told me that you do not need to send anything. No LOR and no application fee. If you have an interview, then you will have to bring your LOR or have it emailed to her. But so far, if you haven't heard anything, then your AMCAS application is all they need.

From the Tulane/BCM website:

Topic: Secondaries and interviews
September 24, 2005
Posted By: Barbara Beckman, Ph.D.
[email protected]

If you have completed your secondary please mail your application to: Karen Joia P.O. 1790 Gretna, LA. 70054

If you haven't access to the secondary don't worry about it. Interviews will begin in October in Houston. If you have already been scheduled for an interview or have other questions please call Susanna Vargas late next week at 713-798-4835

http://www.som.tulane.bcm.edu/conte...tail&postnum=19&roomID=6&EntryID=749&thread=7

Are we certain that this address is legit? I checked that address on Yahoo Maps; Gretna, Lousiana is just south of New Orleans proper, right across the Mississippi. Are they even open to the public and able to get mail right now? I just don't want to send my $95 dollar cheque to nowhere.

jammin06 said:

September 24, 2005
[email protected]

If you have completed your secondary please mail your application to: Karen Joia P.O. 1790 Gretna, LA. 70054

If you haven't access to the secondary don't worry about it. Interviews will begin in October in Houston. If you have already been scheduled for an interview or have other questions please call Susanna Vargas late next week at 713-798-4835

http://www.som.tulane.bcm.edu/conte...tail&postnum=19&roomID=6&EntryID=749&thread=7

I assume we do not have to send them a check at this time correct? They already cashed my check which I sent before Katrina.

I have a question, sorry if it's already been answered but I'm somewhat confused about what's going on. I turned in my secondary way before the hurricane and my file was complete.
From what I've read on SDN, I should re-send my secondary app but on their website, it says that "No new information needs to be mailed to the Admissions office." Am I missing something? Do I need to send anything to them or will they eventually look at my secondary application and decide about an interview?

coco said:
I have a question, sorry if it's already been answered but I'm somewhat confused about what's going on. I turned in my secondary way before the hurricane and my file was complete.
From what I've read on SDN, I should re-send my secondary app but on their website, it says that "No new information needs to be mailed to the Admissions office." Am I missing something? Do I need to send anything to them or will they eventually look at my secondary application and decide about an interview?

well they dont have your secondary. It is out swimming somewhere. I think they will grant interviews based on primary ap. Im in the same boat as you. I dont know if I should send another secondary to the address posted and what to do about the fee.

There is a ton of contradictory information coming out from the school right now. The kind lady that answered the phone said that nothing should be sent now, that they are just using the primary. The forums on the website indicate the same thing. However, Dr. Beckmen suggests that we need to mail a copy of our secondary to this new address. I am totally confused as to what to do, but plan on just waiting a while for things to settle down a bit and hope that an answer appears on the website soon.

Yeah, completely confusing, but understandable given the circumstances, I guess. I would imagine that if you sent a secondary before the hurricane, there's no way they can ask you to send yet another cheque (unless they didn't deposit it or something). However, I didn't have a chance to turn in my secondary before the hurricane, so I assume I'd have to send a cheque, but like some of you said, certain school officials say "send nothing".

Messerschmitts said:
Yeah, completely confusing, but understandable given the circumstances, I guess. I would imagine that if you sent a secondary before the hurricane, there's no way they can ask you to send yet another cheque (unless they didn't deposit it or something). However, I didn't have a chance to turn in my secondary before the hurricane, so I assume I'd have to send a cheque, but like some of you said, certain school officials say "send nothing".

I am in the same situation. I just hope that they don't exclude those of us that didn't send the secondary pre-hurricane. I am going to wait a week or so and see if a definitive answer is posted. In the mean time, I'll keep checking SDN in case a kind Dean of Admissions pops back on here with an answer.

Flopotomist said:
I am in the same situation. I just hope that they don't exclude those of us that didn't send the secondary pre-hurricane. I am going to wait a week or so and see if a definitive answer is posted. In the mean time, I'll keep checking SDN in case a kind Dean of Admissions pops back on here with an answer.

I'm confused also because normally around 7,000 people apply and only half complete the secondary, so how will they know who is still interested? It seems like they should ask for some confirmation of interest from people still wanting to apply.

CoffeeCat said:
I'm confused also because normally around 7,000 people apply and only half complete the secondary, so how will they know who is still interested? It seems like they should ask for some confirmation of interest from people still wanting to apply.

That's a very good point coffeecat. I didnt even realize this. I feel many people are probably not interested because of what happened. hmmm, maybe it really makes sense for those of us who are interested in interviewing there to just send in the secondary anyways. I mean, they did post an address.

beponychick said:
That's a very good point coffeecat. I didnt even realize this. I feel many people are probably not interested because of what happened. hmmm, maybe it really makes sense for those of us who are interested in interviewing there to just send in the secondary anyways. I mean, they did post an address.

Yeah, but which secondary? And do we send LORs? Do we wait? Do we send a check? Does put the people that sent in a secondary prior to the hurricane at an unfair disadvantage? It is kinda a mess, and the way that I understood they were going to do things made the most sense - disregard the secondary entirely, and use only the primary. I mean, in fairness to those that applied before the hurricane, a secondary talking about their experience shadowing a doc may pale in comparison to a secondary written after the storm talking about why an applicant wants to go to a gulf state now.

Flopotomist said:
Yeah, but which secondary? And do we send LORs? Do we wait? Do we send a check? Does put the people that sent in a secondary prior to the hurricane at an unfair disadvantage? It is kinda a mess, and the way that I understood they were going to do things made the most sense - disregard the secondary entirely, and use only the primary. I mean, in fairness to those that applied before the hurricane, a secondary talking about their experience shadowing a doc may pale in comparison to a secondary written after the storm talking about why an applicant wants to go to a gulf state now.

guys,

everyone that applied before Katrina and sent their secondaries are not at an advantage. They do not have our secondaries, and only have our AMCAS which is on the computer (the secondary obviously is not). So the way I see it, they probably have no record that we even sent them a secondary. So I think for those of us who are still interested (and to distinguish ourselves from the ones who are not) we should submit another secondary to the address posted. Im not sure when is a good time to do this though. Maybe it is best to wait and see if a new message from the dean comes up.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm a little aprehensive... I'm not that thrilled about sending my personal information to some address in Gretna. We don't even know who posted that address. Hopefully someone will clear it up.

beponychick said:
guys,

everyone that applied before Katrina and sent their secondaries are not at an advantage. They do not have our secondaries, and only have our AMCAS which is on the computer (the secondary obviously is not). So the way I see it, they probably have no record that we even sent them a secondary. So I think for those of us who are still interested (and to distinguish ourselves from the ones who are not) we should submit another secondary to the address posted. Im not sure when is a good time to do this though. Maybe it is best to wait and see if a new message from the dean comes up.

Good luck to everyone!
But where is the secondary? Who is this mystery person in Gretna? Seems a bit odd to send a check to some random person none of us has heard of in a city that is not either NO, or Houston.

Flopotomist said:
But where is the secondary? Who is this mystery person in Gretna? Seems a bit odd to send a check to some random person none of us has heard of in a city that is not either NO, or Houston.

I agree, let's wait and maybe ask a question on their website about the address and mystery person. It seems like people who submit a secondary or a letter would probably be better off just so they know that we're really interested. I think it's better to wait, though, and not overwhelm them with paper before they're ready, it could just be an annoyance.

I graduated from Tulane in May and can confirm that Karen Joia is a real person who works in admissions at Tulane. Also, Gretna is a real city in Jefferson parish just across the Mississippi River bridge from New Orleans. Gretna is one of the lucky areas in the New Orleans area because it suffered very little damage and has electricity and clean running water. Either Karen is from Gretna and is getting things mailed to her there or this site was chosen because it is the closest "civilized" area to New Orleans right now. I can understand your reticence to sending money to a random P.O. Box (especially when someone could have found out a name of someone in the med school admin office and set this up as a scam), but you can call Susana and ask her if this is real. Also, you can go to www.som.tulane.bcm.edu and click on the admissions tab. I think also under forums there is an admissions section.

Good luck!

Well, as soon as anyone hears something super-definitive like an official statement from the school regarding this whole mess, be sure to post! Many of us Tulanian-wannabes are waiting! :)

Messerschmitts said:
Well, as soon as anyone hears something super-definitive like an official statement from the school regarding this whole mess, be sure to post! Many of us Tulanian-wannabes are waiting! :)
Agreed... we should form a club of "lost and confused wanna-be Tulanians who didn't send their secondary pre-Katrina."

jammin06 said:

September 24, 2005
[email protected]

I just called Tulane to confirm and was told to wait until it was officially posted on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.