Tulane University Master's Microbiology and Immunology 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnessa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I was recently accepted into Tulane University's Masters for Microbiology and Immunology. I noticed there wasn't a thread, so I wanted to start one
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did not get accepted into the program but was looking at it for next year. If you don't mind saying what was your range for GPA and MCAT ? Looking to see if I would be competitive.

I did not get accepted into the program but was looking at it for next year. If you don't mind saying what was your range for GPA and MCAT ? Looking to see if I would be competitive.

Apply with anything above a 490, but really have good letters of recommendation. I got in last year with a 493 and a trash GPA, but my LOR helped me. Dr. H (program director) will make exceptions even though it says a minimum of 503 on the webpage. I graduated from the program this past year so any questions y'all have shoot my way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply with anything above a 490, but really have good letters of recommendation. I got in last year with a 493 and a trash GPA, but my LOR helped me. Dr. H (program director) will make exceptions even though it says a minimum of 503 on the webpage. I graduated from the program this past year so any questions y'all have shoot my way.
How did you like the program?

How did you like the program?
It was amazing in all aspects. All the classes are small, all the professors know you well (especially Dr. H), and the program has a PROVEN track record of putting students into medical schools (I just got my first acceptance this week). You'll make some great friends along the way because you have at minimum 8-12 hours of classes that are the same, and you get exposure to world renowned research on a weekly basis. You are taking MEDICAL SCHOOL courses, the same as year one and year two Tulane med students, and yes they are hard, but if you come out on top you will be considered most anywhere. And you're in New Orleans, what's not to like about that.

Hi! I was just recently accepted into the program and am looking for more information. @fishkitemedicine can you talk more about the track record the program getting people into medical school? how about Tulane's medical school? Do you know how this program compares with the acceptance rates of the ACLP program? Also, did you apply to medical school during the program or after? Thanks ◡̈

Hi! I was just recently accepted into the program and am looking for more information. @fishkitemedicine can you talk more about the track record the program getting people into medical school? how about Tulane's medical school? Do you know how this program compares with the acceptance rates of the ACLP program? Also, did you apply to medical school during the program or after? Thanks ◡̈
Around 80% of students from the program go on to get accepted into medical school or a PHD program. Dr. H (the program director) keeps exact numbers on this so I can ask her for an updated one for you, she also keeps track of every medical school that students from the program gained admission to (which I'll ist in the link below). I can't speak much for other programs since I only did microbiology and immunology Master's. As for the other 20% not making it, I would really say it's all on you how serious are you going to take this Master's degree, and if you give it your all and get a high GPA and crush your MCAT you can expect some interviews at least. As for Tulane's medical school, the staff/professors are great (they don't baby their students), really like the way the curriculum is set up, and you have a better chance of getting accepted into Tulane if you've done your Master's there. I applied the year after, so I'm currently in my gap year waiting to start med school right now. Anecdotally though, I've gotten 6 interviews and 2 acceptances 2 waitlists thus far, so a pretty decent result from doing my Master's there! Any more questions let me know I'm happy to help. Hope this helped!

Program results: Masters Program | Medicine

Hi all!

I'm looking into masters biology/genetics programs for the future. How hard is it to get in to/acceptance rate? What did your applications look like for the masters at Tulane and how long is the program

Hi all!

I'm looking into masters biology/genetics programs for the future. How hard is it to get in to/acceptance rate? What did your applications look like for the masters at Tulane and how long is the program
I applied to the genetics program as well as the microbiology & immunology program with a 486 MCAT, and a 3.38 cumulative gpa and was accepted. My personal statement was good, so were my LORs, I have authored an abstract and I am finishing my MPH in August. Not sure what really helped though but I would just apply! The worst you can get is a no :)

I got accepted to MICROBIO, waitlisted Genetics, and waiting for Physiology,, question: Microbiology is it doable? which one would you prefer Microb vs Physiology. Thank you

Hi! Does anyone know how successful people have been in terms of being admitted to the MS in Microbiology and Immunology if they were previously waitlisted!?