Tulane vs. BU

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by jessaroo, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jessaroo

jessaroo New Member

Pre-Medical
    I've been accepted to BU MAMS and the Tulane Master's In Cell/Molecular Bio. Both seem like good programs with lots of differences-
    Tulane: Cheaper (alot), small size of program, more personal feel to it, grad-school classes only.
    BU: Med school classes, probably a better reputation

Please, if anyone can help me figure out what to do, post advice. My one and only goal is to get into med school (any med school at all)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Which state are you from and which med schools are you trying to get into? Tulane's programs are more recognized in the south and BU's programs are more recognized in the north. Whenever I tell people here in Dallas that I'm doing Gtown SMP, they all say, "Oh, like Tulane's programs?" or "Oh, like TCOM's program?". Also, do you like NOLA better or Boston? Both programs will get u to med school if u do well, so look at which med and location of the program.

4. shareesh

shareesh Member

Pre-Medical
    I had a question. There has been no thread about new york medical college master's in basic medical science. I was just accepted. Can you tell me how it compares to all the other masters programs (BU, Georgetown, Drexel, and Barry). What do you guys think of NYMC?

I think i am going to be attending it this fall. does anyone have suggestions about housing or need a roommate?

5. rob14599

rob14599 Member

Tulane, just because of the cost.

6. jessaroo

jessaroo New Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm from Virginia, and really don't have any preference at this point to which med school I go to, as long as it is in the US. As for the cost difference, Tulane is much more appealing. But if the education and chance of getting into an MD program afterwards is that much better, maybe it's worth it. I don't know...I wish i could see the future. Any opinions on New Orleans vs. Boston? Both seem fun

7. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Since you're from VA, I would imagine BU having more clout with EVMS, VCU, and the other area schools. Most of Tulane's grads go to med school in TX or LA, along with other southern schools like UAB. Did you apply to EVMS or Gtown before? I think those would have been better options for you. Between BU and Tulane, my vote is for BU.

8. jklasser17

jklasser17 Senior Member

Medical Student
    I would agree with chaeymaey, BU is going to be better respected in the North because of location. Also, throughout the country, both the BU and GTown programs are very well respected. So even if you end up somewhere else in the country, you most likely will not have to worry about the adcom not knowing about the program. Another point to consider is the number of graduates. While it may be nice to have the closer-knit feeling of Tulane, you most likely will not be devoting your time to "friendship" in either program. The school with more graduates greatly increases the chances of a potential med school having heard about the program, and being familiar with it.

9. jklasser17

jklasser17 Senior Member

Medical Student
    Plus, Boston is sweet!

10. southerncomfort

southerncomfort Senior Member

Hi! Tulane CMB alum here.

I'd say to go where you feel comfortable. A big draw of the Tulane program for me was the clinical aspect--the research component can be done by either actual lab research (had plenty of that, thanks) or by clinical shadowing. We had weekly class on developing good patient-doctor skills, had to do a psycho-social history, how to handle difficult patients/situations, etc. I think it's the strongest point of the entire program.

As far as what med schools think about the program, at my Tulane interview I was specifically asked why I chose CMB over the "medical" MS programs at Tulane, and the clinical aspect was my reason.

We also had students from all over geographically and who were successful med applicants.

11. Neha25

Neha25 Junior Member

Pre-Medical

#10 Neha25, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. jklasser17

jklasser17 Senior Member

Medical Student
    As mentioned above, if you plan on going to school in NY, they probably are going to be more familiar with the BU program. Not that the Tulane program isn't good, it's just that demographics and geographics may favor BU in your situation.

13. dranonymous

dranonymous Junior Member

Medical Student
    for those of you debating between bu and some other school, if you have decided on going to that other school, could you kindly let bu know soon so that those of us on waitlist can have a shot. thanks a million! :p

14. asmaka19

asmaka19 Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    I know someone who completed the program that you're referring to and got an interview with virginia commonwealth while she was in the program. She ended up going to med school somewhere else, got accepted as soon as they received her final transcript from Tulane. I may be going to Tulane in the fall for a different program and Iwent ot undergrad on the east coast, but I've never been to boston (i was in philly). New Orleans is a different city after the hurricane but I love it still, the part that tulane is in is a nice area and downtown/french quarter is like a 5-10 min drive. I hope that info helped!

15. asmaka19

asmaka19 Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    Hey Neha,
    i'm also having a similar issue I'm trying to decide between tulane HG and Loyola. I've talked to alot of people including some doctors and apparently genetics is supposed to be an up and coming field in medicine and in research, so this degree just seems more relevant than other post-bacs I applied to. I don't actually know anyone who went through with this program but I am leaning more towards tulane than loyola, it's also much cheaper thanother schools!