Tulane vs. Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acp2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deciding between Tulane and Wake Forest. Thoughts on pros and cons of both schools? Curriculum differences? Thoughts on the locations? People? Clinical opportunities? Match list? Prestige?

Members don't see this ad.

What I like about Tulane:

-Great dual degree opportunities. 4 year MD/MPH and a 5 year MD/MBA and if you apply early odds are you can get the MPH or MBA pretty much paid for by the school. The MPH program is probably the most prestigious thing in the entire school, and the Trop Med option is pretty unique.

-Lots of volunteer opportunities: Multiple free clinics, etc. This city needs a lot of help.

-Flexible 3rd and 4th year cirriculum: 7 months of electives gives you a lot more freedom than most schools, and an early start to clinicals (in May) means that you get get to do you first rotation with experienced interns rather than brand new ones just finishing 4th year. The coordinator will also let you do basically whatever you want with those electives. Students have spend their entire fourth years with fiances out of state, have spent huge chunks of it abroad, etc.

-Different paths for clinicals: Tulane has three programs for clinical rotations: Tulane New Orleans, LEAD, and TRIP. Tulane New Orleans is the classic model of medical education where you get to work in the hospital with interns, residents, and attendings. LEAD is a clinical program in Baton Rouge where you work one on one with an attending for all of your clinicals. TRIP is a rural immersion program where you do all of your rotations in rural Louisiana. If you do the traditional program you'll also have a lot of chances to do rural or Baton Rouge rotations for part or all of certain cores. If you prefer you can also stay in New Orleans for everything (other than Family Medicine, they'll make you travel for that)

-Fun place to live. I'm sure there are more interesting cities to live in if you're a doctor, but if you're a broke @ss medical student this is as good as it gets. There are a lot of festivals and they're all within your budget. Also getting off for Mardi Gras every year is awesome.

-Nice facilities: Good study space, nice lounges in both academic buildings, nice gym

-It's very, very hard to fail out. If you're the kind of person who thinks in terms of worst case scenarios this is a school that will work with you.

What I don't like about Tulane:

-The first two years are pretty disorganized and full of time wasting 'Team Based Learning'. The TBLs are truely the worst thing about this school and would, along with the school's cost, be one of my top two reasons not to go here.

-The school is no better organized than anything else in New Orleans. Generally Tulane's system for everything is 'a guy', and that guy is usually very hard to get a hold of. At one point during my time here all reimbursements for all students stopped completely for three months because the guy who did that was out sick.

-The downside of having a long, flexible clinical schedule is that you have a short, harried preclinical schedule. Be prepared to self teach a lot of micro and pharm when you get to the shelf.

-This is fifth most expensive school in the nation (down from the second a couple of years back).

-The city is not somewhere I would want to raise a family.

-Lots of random, low yield assignments. Mandatory volunteer hours, cultural competency lectures, online documentation of all of your clincial patients, and let us not forget 'inter disciplinary seminars' that you need to schedule throughout your clinical rotations. Some of these things are sort of fun when you're in a less stressful class but when you're on an IM rotation or getting ready for step one they'll make you want to pull your hair out.

My opinion: Go to Wake Forest if it's significantlly cheaper or if you have kids. Otherwise... well I don't know Wake really well but I'd say Tulane is an excellent choice, especially if you want an MD/MPH.

Other Advice: If you have any interest in the MD/MPH program apply right now so that you have a better chance of getting funding, and then start classes the summer before medical school starts so that you have the summer after first year off. You'll want that break much more at the end of first year than at the end of Undergrad.

I'm glad you posted this: I think pre-meds should know that Tulane is the only medical school in the US that uses team-based learning modules and has students complete stupid, innane assignments like cultural competancy

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks to those of you who responded! now if only I could get a detailed pro/con list for wake forest from someone ;)

is the curriculum for tulane pass/fail in the first pre-clinical years? I couldn't find this on the website and forgot what they said during my interview day.

also, do most students have cars? Is it necessary to have a car?

thanks to those of you who responded! now if only I could get a detailed pro/con list for wake forest from someone ;)

is the curriculum for tulane pass/fail in the first pre-clinical years? I couldn't find this on the website and forgot what they said during my interview day.

also, do most students have cars? Is it necessary to have a car?

-it is pass/fail...but i think there are also honors too...(not 100% sure about the honors though)

-Not necessary to have a car...live in the student housing on campus. They have shuttles that you can take on the weekends to walmart for groceries. OR just find a roomate with a car, and leech off their car.

Is it P/F? I've been herre three years and I still don't know. The Dean say yes... but they keep track of how you do in each class. And they may or may not apply them towards AOA. And maybe you class quartile which may or may not go in your dean's letter. So I don't really know.

A car is not necessary for the first two years. However unless you want to live in the toilet that is the medical student dorm I would recommend a bike. There a great apartments in easy biking distance for cheap. A car is pretty much necessary for your clinical years.

Other than Yale, I pretty sure all other P/F schools still rank you by keeping track of how well you did during your pre-clinical years

I'm glad you posted this: I think pre-meds should know that Tulane is the only medical school in the US that uses team-based learning modules and has students complete stupid, innane assignments like cultural competancy

Not that I don't believe you or anything, but do you have a source for that?

Mmmmm . . . I can't quite tell if you got the joke

Haha...well, to be honest, I had no idea you were joking. Obviously, I can tell that you're not a fan of it, but I am quite a fan of cultural competency and all that comes with it, and I figured if what you were saying was true, this would make a great potential "why tulane" interview topic.

Also, can you please go into a bit of detail about the team-based learning modules? How do they differ from something like problem-based learning?

Haha...well, to be honest, I had no idea you were joking. Obviously, I can tell that you're not a fan of it, but I am quite a fan of cultural competency and all that comes with it, and I figured if what you were saying was true, this would make a great potential "why tulane" interview topic.

Also, can you please go into a bit of detail about the team-based learning modules? How do they differ from something like problem-based learning?

Before I started med school, I was a fan of cultural competancy; once I was in med school, I realized cultiural competancy was stupid and a waste of time because it siphoned precious time I could have used to study for more important classes

Team-based learning and problem-based learning are the same thing.

Before I started med school, I was a fan of cultural competancy; once I was in med school, I realized cultiural competancy was stupid and a waste of time because it siphoned precious time I could have used to study for more important classes

Team-based learning and problem-based learning are the same thing.

Hmm...I can name a couple US schools whose entire curriculum is PBL, not sure if that was your point.

Cornell really emphasized their PBL.... do people hate it? they didn't seem like they hated it.

TBL and PBL are different. PBL is a curriculum type that involves lots of self learning with well integrated cases and good facilitators. Team Based Learning usually is a tag-on to whatever curriculum and isn't done well enough to be useful at most schools. We have some TBL stuff and it tends to just be a waste of time.