Tulane: What to do for fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravellinDoc

So very very tired.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a tulane interview on thurs and will have tomorrow to check out the city. Can those who know the area or have been there for an interview give me some suggestions for stuff to see? Any advice greatly appreciated!
TD

Members don't see this ad.

hehe, i had a few hours to check out the city before my host was done with class, and i walked around the city and got an absolutely horrible impression of the place....it wasn't until my host drove me around to the better parts of the city that i enjoyed new orleans....generally though, the area directly surrounding the school didn't impress me very much....that won't keep me from being excited about going there though, if they choose to accept me.

TravellinDoc said:
I have a tulane interview on thurs and will have tomorrow to check out the city. Can those who know the area or have been there for an interview give me some suggestions for stuff to see? Any advice greatly appreciated!
TD

i suggest the midnight tour around the medical campus. im sure one of the friendly locals will be happy to show you around.

capt

Members don't see this ad :)
i highly suggest the swamp tour. sooooooooo cool. it was easily the best part of my trip in new orleans.

aside from that, if you're willing to splurge, eat at emeril's or commanders palace. for lunch at commanders palace they have 25cent martinis!!!! 25 cent martinis!!!! enjoy the food. its GOOD.

Definitley walk around the French Quarter. Eat beignets at Cafe du Monde (a New Orleans must do!) The aquarium on the Riverwalk is pretty good. Taking a carriage ride is a good way to see the French Quarter. If you want to see the Garden District drive down St Charles or take the trolley. The zoo is good and if you have the time you can take a paddleboat from the aquarium down the river to the Zoo. If you have the money Court of Two Sisters, Brennan's, Antoine's, Galatoire's, and Arnaud's are some of the excellent French Quarter restaurants and also Commander's Palace out in the Garden District. But if you don't have the money, just about any restaurant in New Orleans is good, just be sure to have something local like gumbo, etoufee, jambalaya, po boys, etc. I love New Orleans and have been there many times. Just be sure to appreciate the culture, the history, the atmosphere, and the food and try to ignore the dirtiness and the drinking. There's no where else like it!

what are some things that an interviewee like myself can do by myself?

i don't know anyone there at all and i'll have a day free to myself to see the city.

how far is the school away from the "City" in new orleans, like french quarter, etc and all the good stuff and should I stay near tulane or in the city?

also, what are some good "single" activities...i don't want to be the loser that eats at emiril's alone!

last year i stayed at tulane for an ultimate frisbee tournament. it's right in new orleans. so it's only a short cab ride to bourbon street - It's really touristy, but you have to go there. Nobody goes to sleep before 4am, so you might want to go there after your interview. You're guaranteed to see a little t & a too, even if you might not want to. It's the only place i've ever seen where the gutterwater is neon colored!

TravellinDoc said:
TD

My inner chauvinist demands that you get wasted and head for your nearest strip club. However, primitive instincts aside, New Orleans has a plethora of tremendous blues acts. So, if you're a music fan, or even if you're not, the music scene is definitely worth checking out. :thumbup:

AJ

you guys are failing to mention the biggest attraction...Bourbon St. dont forget about all the weird strip clubs too :p plus you can drink 190 proof margaritas 24 hours a day! go to obrien's and get a hurricane..mmmmm yummy. all joking aside, try to eat at this really nice place called Lemongrass, you'll thank me later :)

yancantcook said:
what are some things that an interviewee like myself can do by myself?

i don't know anyone there at all and i'll have a day free to myself to see the city.

how far is the school away from the "City" in new orleans, like french quarter, etc and all the good stuff and should I stay near tulane or in the city?

also, what are some good "single" activities...i don't want to be the loser that eats at emiril's alone!

Tulane Med is right in the heart of downtown and is not far from the quarter at all or the other tourist attractions, Aquarium, Jackson Square, DDay museum.
I guess everyone who visits new orleans should check out bourbon and the quarter whether it is during the day or at night. Pat'O's is a good time. If you are looking for singles places, those are located in uptown new orleans closer to Tulane's undergrad campus. Undergrad hangouts include, Bruno's, the Bulldog, Jimmy's, F&M's, Whiskey Blue (might be downtown), the infamous BOOT which is pretty much located on Tulane's undergrad campus. But if you are in town for a short time, proally stick to checkin out downtown attractions.

I would definitly recommend going down to borboun street. Last year I lived oncampus and we used to walk to french quarter/ borboun street in groups of 5 or 6 people at least once a week. Aside from that, I think for an outta towner there's three must do things in NO:
1) preservation hall: whether or not you are a jazz fan, this is an awsome musical experience
2) cafe du monde: its not just the greesy, sugary goodness. cafe du monde is an essential part of the new orleans cultural experience
3) street car ride: the street car runs on the historic st charles street and goes from downtown to uptown new orleans, past the tulane undergrad campus and loyola university as well auduban park.

Dinner: Acme Oyster House on Iberville st or Seaport on Bourbon

Dessert: Cafe du Monde next to Jackson square

Drinks: Pat O' Briens. It's about $6 for a Hurricane but they actually put alcohol in them (unlike most other places)

Avoid the other restaurants in the quarter because they're tourist traps. Galatoire's is great but it costs a fortune.

If you have good transportation and want to go clubbing:
TwiRoPa is a clubby club
F&M and Grits are more laid back, local places
Both of these are located on Tchoupitoulas street
(pronounced "chop-ih-too-las") your cab driver should know how to get
to them

and people eat and go drinking alone all the time (there is always some big convention in town.) most of the nice restaurants have a bar you can eat at and the locals and tourists are so friendly/adverturesome that you will have no problem making friends to party with (unless you have 2 heads, and even then some drunk naked guy might take you under his wing....)