Tulane vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biotechguru

Reaction score
Einstein
Pros
  • Really interesting global health opportunities that jive with my background and previous experiences, provide funding and support to do these types of programs
  • In NYC (kind of), think I would learn so much on clinical rotations in the bronx, the faculty are heavily invested in their community (feel like this is also true with tulane tho)
  • Commutable to Manhattan where I have friends living, maybe could escape the concrete jungle every once in a while to get to manhattan
  • Great match list to competitive specialties, im not sure right now what I want to do, but knowing that Einstein students match across the spectrum of specialties at great hospitals in the Northeast is comforting in case I decide I want to do that.

Cons
  • Living situation feels dorm like, im a few years removed from college and prefer a more off campus housing situation, feels like im going into freshman year of college again :D
  • While Einstein is in a nicer area of the bronx, it still feels like there isnt really much to do around campus, its a food desert, and TBH, potentially a little bit dangerous if you wonder into the wrong areas.
  • This weird probation situation they are in right now- while ive talked to a bunch of students and faculty about it and they insist it is not a big deal, its too big of an institution/school to go under completely. Still makes me a bit nervous.

Tulane
Pros
  • I know New Orleans well, its a city of happy people, the students seem to be really happy and live comfortably, and actually have some amount of work-life balance. The weather is great year round (warm) and the city is lively, relaxing, and maybe most importantly, cheap to live in compared to NYC.
  • I know a bunch of current students there, would be great to already have that support system set up.
  • Really interesting patient population to work with, lots of opportunities to do community service, engage with the NOLA community, and it really feels like the medical students are a part of the health network in new orleans.
  • Great match list, honestly feel like its similar to Einstein's, just not as heavy in the Northeast.

Cons
  • Far away from family (I am from MA and family still lives in MA)
  • Not as much global health work as Einstein, but still have very strong public health research and lots of professors doing global health research, just dont have as much structured support for that work as Einstein.
  • Maybe not as "prestigious" as Einstein, but I feel like this difference is negligible

Summary: Overall, Im pretty conflicted, as I feel like I'd be happier/more comfortable living in New Orleans than in the Bronx, but feel like Einstein might open more doors for me and I'm a little more excited about their curriculum/research opportunities. COA is very similar, so not a huge factor other than COL in New Orleans is much cheaper.

Members don't see this ad.

I’d go with Tulane. Einstein’s probation is not a good look

Reactions: 1 user
This is really tough, especially because it seems like you truly like both! I would honestly decide by cost if you aren’t super bothered by the fact that Tulane is far from family. You can’t go wrong either way! Both are fantastic schools, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the factors you've mentioned, its lower COL and being a cool city in a part of the country you've never lived, Tulane seems like a good choise. But free tuition at Einstein is nothing to sniff at, and there's a passable pro baseball team a short train ride away from the Einstein campus.

Even before Einstein was free this would have been a no-brainer. Congrats.