Turn down an acceptance for nothing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deebog01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I moved to San Antonio 2 years ago because this was where I wanted to go to Dental school. I've been coming to this town since I was 5 years old, and it's as much a part of me as my big toe. Two interviews had did I: one at Baylor and one here in good ol' San An. I feel really good about my Baylor interview... and pretty darn bad about the San Antonio. ie: I don't think San An will be calling me this year. But I feel pretty confident about Baylor. I've never been in a city that I loved this much, and the thought of having to move away to Dallas (a city that I've lived in before and hated) is making me nuts. Is there anyone else out there that would considder turning down an acceptance at one school to try again at another? I can't help but feel that I'd regret choosing four years of ":(" and prozac over five years of ":)" and comfort. Five months ago, when I applied... I didn't considder this at all... but now, faced with the reality of leaving the first town I've ever lived in that I like coming back to.... Well... regret it seems, destroys the means that fill us with the dreams we dream. So I guess that why we testify to never let life pass us by... What do you think would be the bigger regret?

Baylor admin spies: feel free to comment as well.

Members don't see this ad.

deebog01 said:
I moved to San Antonio 2 years ago because this was where I wanted to go to Dental school. I've been coming to this town since I was 5 years old, and it's as much a part of me as my big toe. Two interviews had did I: one at Baylor and one here in good ol' San An. I feel really good about my Baylor interview... and pretty darn bad about the San Antonio. ie: I don't think San An will be calling me this year. But I feel pretty confident about Baylor. I've never been in a city that I loved this much, and the thought of having to move away to Dallas (a city that I've lived in before and hated) is making me nuts. Is there anyone else out there that would considder turning down an acceptance at one school to try again at another? I can't help but feel that I'd regret choosing four years of ":(" and prozac over five years of ":)" and comfort. Five months ago, when I applied... I didn't considder this at all... but now, faced with the reality of leaving the first town I've ever lived in that I like coming back to.... Well... regret it seems, destroys the means that fill us with the dreams we dream. So I guess that why we testify to never let life pass us by... What do you think would be the bigger regret?

Why are you stressing? If you like where you are but aren't comfy with your chances there, put in you deposit at Baylor and defer a year. Hopefully your first choice will come thru. Always best if you are happy, but hedge your bets! :thumbup:

Have you written a letter to the admissions committee telling them about this obsession you have with San antonio? I think if they knew how important it was to you it would help your chances. How many times have you visited the SA campus? I think you could make proximity your best asset and camp out at the school if that's really where you want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
msf41 said:
Have you written a letter to the admissions committee telling them about this obsession you have with San antonio? I think if they knew how important it was to you it would help your chances. How many times have you visited the SA campus? I think you could make proximity your best asset and camp out at the school if that's really where you want to go.

Well... I havn't told the admissions committee themselves, but I have mentioned it in letters to the admissions office while looking for information. The lady was very kind and directed me to a posting of all admitted students for the 2005 year in the student sevices building. I've been on campus a number of times, but I wouldn't say that the admin committee would recognize me. Thank you both for the replies. Both responses so far have greatly eased my anxiety. Best of luck

-Deebo

I know 4 years seems like an eternity but in reality it is just 4 years that will pass by very quickly. You are crazy if you say no. Put the deposit down on Baylor and wait and see.

J2AZ said:
I know 4 years seems like an eternity but in reality it is just 4 years that will pass by very quickly. You are crazy if you say no. Put the deposit down on Baylor and wait and see.

agreed, there are many of us that would die for an acceptance to anywhere, please don't turn it down just because you don't like the city, go do your four years then come back and practice in sanantonio for the rest of your life.....

If you get into Baylor, I would go to Baylor. Just because, you never know what kinds of opportunities are in a new city :) You don't want to be living for four years to be over. Even though it is "just four years,' having that mind set can make it seem much longer. Each day should be lived of itself. I know you love San Antonio (I do too...the Mexican food, the culture, the peacefulness....sweeeeeet), but that's not to say you can't ever live there. It's like I had to tell myself about New York, I want to live there like nuts...but...right now is not the best time, and God willing it ain't going no where anytime soon. Double negative. Whoops. Anyway, my avice...would be to go to Dallas openminded for whatever new situations will be open for you :)

Best Wishes!!

Beach

BeachLuvr said:
If you get into Baylor, I would go to Baylor. Just because, you never know what kinds of opportunities are in a new city :) You don't want to be living for four years to be over. Even though it is "just four years,' having that mind set can make it seem much longer. Each day should be lived of itself. I know you love San Antonio (I do too...the Mexican food, the culture, the peacefulness....sweeeeeet), but that's not to say you can't ever live there. It's like I had to tell myself about New York, I want to live there like nuts...but...right now is not the best time, and God willing it ain't going no where anytime soon. Double negative. Whoops. Anyway, my avice...would be to go to Dallas openminded for whatever new situations will be open for you :)

Best Wishes!!

Beach

Wait till things actually happen my friend, no use in stressing over something that hasn't happened yet. good luck

HD

hockeydentist said:
Wait till things actually happen my friend, no use in stressing over something that hasn't happened yet. good luck

HD

thanks... to be honest, by the time my headache dissapeared this afternoon, I began to realize the selfishness behind my post. But now that I've spoken the truth anyhow, I've gotten a lot of great input on a subject that I've mostly just kept to myself. I suppose that most people on this site are moving out of their town no matter what the result of the admissions process. I'm beginning to realize that staying in San Antonio would be more of a blessing that most don't get to experience than a simple materialized expectation. I'm pretty sure that if and when that letter comes from Baylor, I'll accept it with open arms. Last night, while I was reflecting on my fear of change, I forgot to considder my desire just to be a part of this new community... no matter where it's based. Again, I want to thank everyone for their input. Coming home to see the new posts on SDN is becoming more inticing than coming home to check my mail box! You know... the one thing I didn't realize before getting lost after my Baylor interview was that the school is right in the heart of Deep Ellum! I love live music! Maybe I'll have some time between exams to get some gigs! Peace out homie-g-loves!

-Deebog

I got interviews at pitt, nova, case and MCG... i only went to MCG and Pitt... i was accepted at pitt and put on the alternate list at MCG... i have decided to move to MCG and hope for the best... i'm determined to get in there and feel that it will eventually happen....

deebog01 said:

if i was part of admin from both schools for the next cycle and i know that you let a chance like that for that reason. i dont think i can give you a chance like that anymore. i am sure that you can lie and make up some stuff like many other dent students. How about getting away from TX? try something new. If not, good luck with your choice

Aren't San Antonio and Dallas like only a few hours from each other? Like less than 7 in a car? If so, you'll probably be too busy in your first two years to even consider where you're living. Once you get into the clinical years and start having some more free time, you can go back and forth if it makes you happy. Of course, you can always go to school at Baylor and practice afterwards in San Antonio, I'm sure plenty of Baylor grads do that too.

Come on, it's not like you're talking about San Antonio vs. Boston, two very different cities with very different climates. San Antonio vs. Dallas, to me, it seems like they are more similar than comparing San Antonio to other US cities.

If you get in, I wouldn't "waste" a year trying to get into 1 particular school. Sometimes you have to take the opportunity presented to you, and rather than wait, I'd start dental school at Dallas if dentistry is what you want. You have no idea if you'll get into San Antonio come next year anyways and it could have all been for nothing.