Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

turning a school down after already accepting

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by tricia, Apr 22, 2007.

1. tricia

tricia Member

Pharmacy Student
    What is the best way to go about letting a school that you have already told you would be attending that you will no longer be attending (because you've been accepted at another school you'd rather go to)? Do you just send them a letter? Do you need to state the reason?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TexasTwinner

Pre-Pharmacy
    i have the same problem, i don't know what to say!

4. ladifantasy

Pharmacy Student
    I believe it has to be in writing. So it would be best just to e-mail them. You can call them to ask for their e-mail address. Just tell them the truth... that you've been accepted at another school. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of students waiting for your spot.

5. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    just call them and tell them you're going to have to decline their offer

...and hurry up so oeople like me can get in!! :luck:

6. geefur16

geefur16 New Member

Pharmacy Student
    I say do it by email. It's more "official" and easier. :D (I just did it.)

7. eelo

Non-Student
    I think you could than them for accepting you, but after careful consideration you have decided to go to a different school. Be as gracious as you can, but I don't think you need to go into any detail (although if they ask, you might want to be prepared to answer truthfully- maybe it's money, location, personal relationships, whatever).

I doubt they really care about the details, but I'm sure they'd rather know now, when then can admit someone from the waitlist, than to just have you not show up in August. Not to mention, the person on the waitlist will love you!!!

8. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Send them a reply as promptly as possible. You don't have time to dilly daddle. They have to get the class situated and see who needs to be pulled off the waitlist. Just call or email and say, "I'm sorry, but I have to decline your offer because I've decided to attend another school". It's not rude, they know what the situation is. You simply tried to hold your place until you heard back from other schools.

CALL THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! .....so i can get pulled off the alternate list!

:D

9. OasisDwlr

Pharmacy Student
    I called saying I wished to withdraw my application. I was then told to send an email so they would have something in writing to put in my file. It was pretty painless, especially since there are people on the waitlist who are waiting to be accepted.

10. DRWHY

I was just wondering, did you do it before or after you pay the deposit?

11. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    It always cracks me up that this issue always comes up. Just call them and say "I wish to withdraw my application." You won't hurt their feelings. They have a list of dozens of other kids on a waitlist just as smart that will welcome the news.

12. OasisDwlr

Pharmacy Student
    This was waaaay after I paid the deposit. I was accepted in Dec, paid the deposit in early January, and just withdrew my app last week.

13. acetyl

Pharmacy Student
    You can use the format I've been using, which by-the-way, I borrowed from Polar Bear I think:

To whom it may concern,

Thank you, and the College, for your interest in my application to the University of XYZ. I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration in my review. However, I am writing to let you know that I have received an acceptance from another school, UNC, and will attend school in NC in the fall. As such, I would like to withdrawal my application from the applicant pool. Thank you again for your consideration.

Kind Regards,

acetyl

14. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    You can use the format I've been using, which by-the-way, I borrowed from Polar Bear I think:

To whom it may concern,

Thank you, and the College, for your interest in my application to the University of XYZ. I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration in my review. However, I am writing to let you know that I have received an acceptance from another school, ABC, and will be attending ABC in the fall. As such, I would like to withdraw my application from the applicant pool. Thank you again for your consideration.

Kind Regards,

SDN superstar

Edited for content and made more generic, you don't that twang in your withdrawal.

15. acetyl

Pharmacy Student
    Just trying to represent. Stop hating.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Just playin, not hatin. :bow: Represent to the fullest.:cool:

18. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 imagine sisyphus happy
    Pharmacist

Pharmacist
    Hey, BlahblahUniversity,

I found a school that sucks less than yours. I'm heading there.

Typed,
    Me.