eunice

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
160
0
NJ
Visit site
Status
hi,

i know... that sounds like a very stupid thing to do!
But these plane fares are adding up!
I have one at GWU scheduled for next friday, and I have been thinking of not going.

I have had 5 interviews and 2 lined up... and most of the five went well, (one of the interviewers said "you shouldn't have a problem with our school." so I'm hoping I got into that one... and I would go to that school over GWU b/c it's like 1/3 the tuition!)

So, I'm not being stupid if I turn down this interview right??
I don't know.. a part of me feels like I should be grateful for every interview and go to all of them, but i'm seriously going broke.
Well, so if I decide not to go, how do I do it?
Should I just call them and say, "due to financial reasons, i won't be able to interview at GWU?"
I guess that's the best way? I mean it is the truth...
I just don't want to come across as arrogant... honestly the major reason is the cost... otherwise, i would definitely go!

any suggestions?

eunice
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
4,372
5
40
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
personally, i wouldn't trust it. i mean, you're a great applicant i'm sure, but at least i'm going to every last interview until i have letter in hand saying i'm going to med school in 2003. there are some horror stories from waitlist threads last year with people with great stats not getting in, even people who the interviewer said "you'll get in" to got put on waitlists. i'd say just bite it financially, charge the flight, its a small amount of money in the long run. or, try to put the interview off until you can afford it later on? just my two cents though

hey, are you trying to avoid me or something :mad: ? i'm at GW next friday :)
 

Veilside

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2002
111
0
Visit site
Status
if you are sure that you will get an acceptance from that school you were talking about, then canceling the interview is perfectly fine IMO.

or you can try to reschedule it to a date where you feel like you'll be able to make it.

but you've had 5 interviews already? damn....
 
About the Ads

laviddee

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
320
0
Chicago
Status
I think it's great you have 7 interviews already. But if you don't for sure have an acceptance yet, I wouldn't risk it. I remember reading stories all the time of incredible interviews and students being told- You should have no worries getting in... and then they don't get in!

Have you tried calling those schools you interviewed at? Some schools will tell you before that oct 15 date if a decision has been made. They can't send you anything before that date, but they can tell you over the phone.... you might want to try. So if you do get in somewhere, then you can definitely be choosy.
 

MedApp2003

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
142
0
Visit site
Status
I think you are probably cool turning it down. I wouldn't waste the money unless you seriously would like to go to GWU. It sounds like you should be fine getting in some place else.

I had a bunch of friends who turned down interviews once they realized that they were getting offered quite a bunch even before they heard an acceptance.

I think there is a a fine line between being causious and being unrealistic. If you interviewed five places that all felt like they went well, I bet your chances of getting into at least one of the those places is very high. So if you would go to all five places over GWU, then if it were me I wouldn't bother with GWU. But I guess maybe I am more of a risk taker than others :)
 

Curci

The Master Chief
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
159
0
38
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Gee, you guys make it sound like being told "you'll have no problem getting in here" is the kiss of death! Is this really the case?

Even though I think you have a good chance of getting into one of those five schools you already interviewed at, I think you should still go to the GW interview. You might find that you really like the school while you're there, and that might move it up a notch or two on your list.
 
OP
E

eunice

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
160
0
NJ
Visit site
Status
thanks for all your replies!

i just called them and rescheduled my interview for nov 12th...
haha.. i'm not much of a risk-taker i guess.

hopefully by then, i will have an acceptance soon.

thanks!

eunice
 
About the Ads