1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning Down Cornell?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Xibye, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Xibye

2+ Year Member

Anyone here turning down a Cornell acceptance for better offers? I'm making a tough decision here. My parents think I should pick Cornell because it's an Ivy...but I hate the idea of living in NYC. Any one out there thinking of turning an Ivy down?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moomix906

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    what are your options?

4. gsmithers68

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think that I would turn down an Ivy for a school like Mayo, Stanford, or UCSF... Also, maybe if I got a hefty fin aid package from a school right below Ivy league status like Vandy or something of that nature.

Without stating your other options it is kind of hard to give advice about turning down a school like Cornell.

5. msa786

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    consdier yourself very lucky to be accepted to such a prestigious school i did an internship there last summer and let me tell you it was the best experience of my life the students and staff are awesome and everyone there is at their best..the education you will receive there is phenomenal..seriously consider this school

6. Cirrus83

Cirrus83 Too old for this
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Wow...you hate the idea of living in NYC? I think that's one of the major draws of Cornell, actually (and any other med school in NYC, except maybe AECOM since it's kinda far out there).

Oh well, to each their own I guess. The scent of urine in the subway in the summertime is an acquired taste :D (seriously I wish we had a cleaner subway system, but since ours is so ancient they can only do so much...on the bright side it runs 24/7).

7. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    if you're aiming to get something out of the med school experience other than the degree, then it's very important to consider the "lifestyle" aspects of a school, including location. if you don't like the location, it's not the place for you. if you just want the name and the degree then you can listen to your folks.

8. Institute

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's all in a name my friend. You choose the school that best fits you and who you are. What's your other alternative?

9. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i personally don't believe in ivies for medical school b/c a lot of non-Ivies are ranked higher and even if ranking doesn't matter a lot of non-ivies have better programs. so i say go for it OP i don't like the idea of living in new york either its great to visit tho i admit.

10. Asianagirl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :laugh: